General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird wire in my 98 engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
˟˟˟˟ something bad happened. i must have pulled wires apart while taking off the kick panel. my key fob wont lock the doors now.

The Red and Green wires, could this be it or does it look like they are suppose to be disconnected ?

And this is what the antenna is wired to

and if you go to the last page on this link http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...412V_01-05.pdf there is a diagram of the unit i think. I did not see anything like that underneath, especially antenna connection part

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-26-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by OJ Simpson 4Runner
˟˟˟˟ something bad happened. i must have pulled wires apart while taking off the kick panel. my key fob wont lock the doors now.

The Red and Green wires, could this be it or does it look like they are suppose to be disconnected ?

And this is what the antenna is wired to

and if you go to the last page on this link http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...412V_01-05.pdf there is a diagram of the unit i think. I did not see anything like that underneath, especially antenna connection part

the green and blue wires are your door lock wires from the brain. green is lock, blue is unlock. Follow the wire that has the electrical tape on it and see where they go. That should lead you to the brain. can you see where it is spliced in at the ignition harness? if you are able to, solder the lock wires when you put them back together, as you can see butt connectors arent always the best option.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:53 AM

thanks man. Ya when i was underneath i saw A LOT of electric tape and shotty tape job all around. I am the 3rd owner of this and I assume this is the 1st owners fault because the 2nd owner kept this thing cleaner than I do now
Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM

thanks man. Ya when i was underneath i saw A LOT of electric tape and shotty tape job all around. I am the 3rd owner of this and I assume this is the 1st owners fault because the 2nd owner kept this thing cleaner than I do now

dont get too worried about the tape, most installers including myself wrap wires in tape to help them "blend in" a little better under the dash, and to make it harder to find the brain of the alarm, to prevent theft. i would just go through and check that the connections are solid and leave it be.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:03 PM

So I have fixed the door problem and found the darn brain. it was ziptied behind these connections that completely hid the thing! insane. anyway, now for the final question. I feel dumb for even asking but..

Okay so we know I have one of these antennas under my rear view mirror and I am assuming this receives commands for unlock, lock and remote start correct?

My current keyless entry/remote starter, the Viper 211HV diagram of the "brain" looks like this

What I am wondering is... is the "antenna" label the same wire that goes up to the HF Antenna under my rear view mirror -->there is a green, red and black wire hooked up to that HF antenna under my rear view mirror or is it a grey wire with a black strip on it because there is 1 wire thats tucked away like the diagram picture, ....what if I wanted to relocate the antenna or extend it.. is there just 1 wire I can solder to, to make it longer instead of making the power and ground longer with it...do you know what I'm saying?

-cliff notes, the HF antenna has 3 wires, the diagram gives me the idea that there is just 1 wire for the antenna.. i am confused.

Common sense tells me yes, but I'd just like to verify with someone smarter.

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:20 PM

So I have fixed the door problem and found the darn brain. it was ziptied behind these connections that completely hid the thing! insane. anyway, now for the final question. I feel dumb for even asking but..

Okay so we know I have one of these antennas under my rear view mirror and I am assuming this receives commands for unlock, lock and remote start correct?

My current keyless entry/remote starter, the Viper 211HV diagram of the "brain" looks like this

What I am wondering is... is the "antenna" label the same wire that goes up to the HF Antenna under my rear view mirror there is a green, red and black wire hooked up to that HF antenna under my rear view mirror, I am guessing its power, ground and the green wire I don't know.. ..what if I wanted to relocate the antenna or extend it.. is there just 1 wire I can solder to, to make it longer instead of making the power and ground longer with it...do you know what I'm saying?

Common sense tells me yes, but I'd just like to verify with someone smarter.
you can extend the antenna, but it would require you to extend all 3 wires. why would you want to extend the antenna? the shorter the wire the better, more wire can cause more resistance and give you weaker signal. Not highly likely to affect it alot, but still likely.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM

oh. well i thought extending it would have made it receiver better but nvm! thanks for all the help!