General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird wire in my 98 engine bay.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird wire in my 98 engine bay.

As you can see its a wire with this weird foam cover at the end. the actual end has nothing on it, it looks like a red cap of some sort?! I have no idea what this is, what it does or what it could be, anyone here have a guess????

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-03-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
a better pic is needed. that ^ is too dark and grainy

at first glance, i don't even know if it's stock
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM

Add some light to the area. Can't see anything in those shots!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 PM

sorry, believe it or not thats with the garage lights on. I'll setup a flood light tonight and take better pics. engine is complete stock.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:54 PM

I just posted pics, can anyone see them?!?!?!

In this last picture, there is a small red and small black wire that is attached to the " big red plug " and is heading through the firewall. anyone, any ideas??

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-17-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Are you having any problems??

Something not working??

I have seen all sorts of extra crap on these trucks.

Could have been for the last owners Inverter to power his Microwave or coffee maker
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Are you having any problems??

Something not working??

I have seen all sorts of extra crap on these trucks.

Could have been for the last owners Inverter to power his Microwave or coffee maker
no problems.. im guessing red and black wires have to power it for something...but wtf could it be?? very curious no
some kind of sensor?? why is it wrapped in foam??! i

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-18-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 AM

Looks like an alarm/keyless entry beeper to me.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by beatupbrown87
thats what i thought too, but i thought the antenna under my rear view mirror was the receiver for that stuff? or is that just for the car remote starter ( which i have )
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by beatupbrown87
thats what it is, i removed that when removing the factory VIP alarm in my 97 runner. It has two wires that go through the fire wall, and run to the brain under the drivers seat. Set off your alarm with the hood open and it will make a lovely noise for you.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Its the factory alarm chirpy thingy
Old 01-20-2012, 08:45 PM

we look over our vehicles too closely don't we lol
Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

Its the factory alarm chirpy thingy
alarm or keyless entry? because I don't have an alarm... or at least the alarm button on my remote keyless/starter does not do anything.

if it is indeed the factory alarm, how do i get it working again?

I do see that toyota alarm light bulb by the ECT button..but its never on lol

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-23-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:27 PM

ok so lots of reading and i figured i may have a alarm system? i have that common RS3000 alarm unit under my driver seat and i tried resetting it and programming my key fob, but my key fob is a VIPER model.The key fob is a RPN 476V
the other codes on the back are as follows;

2(66) Codes

FCC ID# EZSDEI476

it looks EXACTLY like this

now i tried to program it knowing that it prolly wont work...and maybe its just me but it seems like the bottom 2 buttons " aux " and " speaker with sound waves coming out of it " now do something.. the aux makes something "click" inside my dash with no audible sound and the "speaker" makes all the lights flash off and on for a while with no sound either..

now what I am wanting to do is make this key fob activate the RS3000 unit and to make the horn "beep" when i lock the doors and better yet, if i can get the alarm to work, i want the horn to beep when the alarm is set?? how do i even know if the alarm works.. i am lost..
Old 01-25-2012, 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=OJ Simpson 4Runner;51858738]ok so lots of reading and i figured i may have a alarm system? i have that common RS3000 alarm unit under my driver seat and i tried resetting it and programming my key fob, but my key fob is a VIPER model.The key fob is a RPN 476V
the other codes on the back are as follows;

2(66) Codes

FCC ID# EZSDEI476

it looks EXACTLY like this

now i tried to program it knowing that it prolly wont work...and maybe its just me but it seems like the bottom 2 buttons " aux " and " speaker with sound waves coming out of it " now do something.. the aux makes something "click" inside my dash with no audible sound and the "speaker" makes all the lights flash off and on for a while with no sound either..

now what I am wanting to do is make this key fob activate the RS3000 unit and to make the horn "beep" when i lock the doors and better yet, if i can get the alarm to work, i want the horn to beep when the alarm is set?? how do i even know if the alarm works.. i am lost..[/QUOT

what you have installed in your 4runner is this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+21...50043&st=viper 211hv&lp=1&cp=1

jsut a basic keyless entry, no alarm. The previous owner probably had it installed when the factory remotes went bad. it was probably cheaper to get the aftermarket viper installed, than to buy two new remotes.

That being said, You can make the horn sound with the "speaker" button by hooking up the horn wire on the keyless entry "brain module" the wire from the brain should be brown if i remember right. you should also be able to set the system to honk the horn when you lock/unlock. it can be programmed after the horn is set up, or at a local shop with whats called a bitwriter.

The "clicking" noise that the aux button is making is most likely an internal relay in the aftermarket brain. the "aux" button is commonly used for trunk pop.

the viper remote will not be able to work in conjunction with the factory installed VIP system.

here is the install manual for the unit i believe you have.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...412V_01-05.pdf

hope that helps clear some stuff up for you
Old 01-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
what you have installed in your 4runner is this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Viper+21...50043&st=viper 211hv&lp=1&cp=1

jsut a basic keyless entry, no alarm. The previous owner probably had it installed when the factory remotes went bad. it was probably cheaper to get the aftermarket viper installed, than to buy two new remotes.

That being said, You can make the horn sound with the "speaker" button by hooking up the horn wire on the keyless entry "brain module" the wire from the brain should be brown if i remember right. you should also be able to set the system to honk the horn when you lock/unlock. it can be programmed after the horn is set up, or at a local shop with whats called a bitwriter.

The "clicking" noise that the aux button is making is most likely an internal relay in the aftermarket brain. the "aux" button is commonly used for trunk pop.

the viper remote will not be able to work in conjunction with the factory installed VIP system.

here is the install manual for the unit i believe you have.

http://www.directeddealers.com/manua...412V_01-05.pdf

hope that helps clear some stuff up for you

Thanks so much. That sucks because this unit has like maximum 15 ft to unlock the doors and remote starting the engine.. basically useless because i can walk 15 ft... the website says 1,500 Feet which is complete BS. this thing does not work over 1 block.

So there is no way I can somehow frankenstein wire the VIP up to the RS3000? I just read a review.. "By Mark - Texas
211HV is a great addition for older vehicles with factory alarm system but no keyless entry. The system has outputs that arm and disarm the factory alarm when locking or unlocking, allowing for complete integration with the vehicle. The on board relays for lock/unlock and light flash are icing on the cake with this system. I immediately purchased a second system for my other vehicle. Awesome product Viper! Keep this system in your lineup, because none of you competitors offer both the arm and disarm outputs. Two thumbs up!"

one last question, bare with me, the website says the aux "auxiliary outputs for optional remote control conveniences".. what else can I make the aux button do...

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-25-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by OJ Simpson 4Runner
Thanks so much. That sucks because this unit has like maximum 15 ft to unlock the doors and remote starting the engine.. basically useless because i can walk 15 ft... the website says 1,500 Feet which is complete BS. this thing does not work over 1 block.

where is the antenna located? the antenna may be in a bad spot, or need to be replaced.

So there is no way I can somehow frankenstein wire the VIP up to the RS3000?

You may be able to tie the arm/disarm wires from the viper into the factory arm/disarm wires. but are you sure that the VIP system even works? I just read a review.. "By Mark - Texas
211HV is a great addition for older vehicles with factory alarm system but no keyless entry. The system has outputs that arm and disarm the factory alarm when locking or unlocking, allowing for complete integration with the vehicle. The on board relays for lock/unlock and light flash are icing on the cake with this system. I immediately purchased a second system for my other vehicle. Awesome product Viper! Keep this system in your lineup, because none of you competitors offer both the arm and disarm outputs. Two thumbs up!"

one last question, bare with me, the website says the aux "auxiliary outputs for optional remote control conveniences".. what else can I make the aux button do...
the aux button can do almost anything you want it to do, depending on how you wire it, and if you want to get into relays etc. what are you looking to make it do? does the system remote start the truck also?

Last edited by drpdmazda; 01-25-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by drpdmazda
the aux button can do almost anything you want it to do, depending on how you wire it, and if you want to get into relays etc. what are you looking to make it do? does the system remote start the truck also?
The antenna I assume is wired under my rear view mirror.. am i right? or is it for something else like the car starter?.
it looks like this

The actual unit for the receiver looks like this and I assume I'll find the antenna there? No clue so far as to where it is or what it looks like... would be great if someone on the forums who has one could tell me where to find it as ive searched all around and could not find it

I want the AUX button to trigger the alarm/disarm on my RS3000. Yes the system remote does start the truck also. But if it were possible, I would want the lock doors button to arm the RS3000 and the unlock button to disarm, but that is probably a pipe dream..

I believe the RS 3000 still works because I have reset the thing ( green button ) and the Toyota security light illuminated red, also I believe that red plastic plug I posted in this thread is the piezo chirper since there is only 2 wires which I assume ground and power.

Last edited by OJ Simpson 4Runner; 01-25-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by OJ Simpson 4Runner
The antenna I assume is wired under my rear view mirror.. am i right? or is it for something else like the car starter?.
it looks like this

The actual unit for the receiver looks like this and I assume I'll find the antenna there? No clue so far as to where it is or what it looks like... would be great if someone on the forums who has one could tell me where to find it as ive searched all around and could not find it

I want the AUX button to trigger the alarm/disarm on my RS3000. Yes the system remote does start the truck also. But if it were possible, I would want the lock doors button to arm the RS3000 and the unlock button to disarm, but that is probably a pipe dream..

I believe the RS 3000 still works because I have reset the thing ( green button ) and the Toyota security light illuminated red, also I believe that red plastic plug I posted in this thread is the piezo chirper since there is only 2 wires which I assume ground and power.
the antenna should be on the windshield and look like the unit you have pictured, it recieves all function commands from the remote. the brain should be somewhere under that dash. Look for the wires coming off it that are spliced into the ignition harness, or down into the kick panel for the door locks. once you find those wires, you can follow them back to the brain.

The aux will not control the arm/disarm features, it is only set up to do a quick trigger like trunk pop, gas door pop etc.

if the red light on the factory alarm is solid, it means that it is in "valet" mode, most likely since the factory remotes were lost or stopped working.

im not sure if you would be able to tap into the VIP alarm, since it is technically an "add-on" system, not something that came from the factory. I have nothing listed in my wiring diagrams that would indicate a factory arm/disarm wire that you would be able to use.

and yes, the original picture is indeed the siren, i told you that several posts ago ha ha.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM

haha yeah i just saw that now. Well I took apart the dash and kick panel off, I found the antenna wire and tried to trace it to the brain but it stops at this thing.. let me try to explain what it looks like. it looks like a rectangle piece of black plastic, with individual square boxes on it, it looks stock.. and I can't find the brain for the viper, nothing in there looks like the picture of the viper brain...

Quick Reply: Weird wire in my 98 engine bay.