General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic
View Poll Results: Would you buy a diesel 4runner or truck?
Yes
91.03%
No
8.97%
Voters: 702. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy a diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man i LOVE the sound and smell of my diesel. i do feel bad for people who like the environment and drive behind me when im in a hurry. its a stinky, smokey motor, but it runs great.

i would buy a toyota with a diesel in a hearbeat. i almost bought a RHD BJ-40 for $4500. but i couldnt get used to shifting with my left hand, and the motor had no glow system. no good here in the winter. it was a nice rig though, i regret not just buying it and getting used to the RHD. o well, hindsight is always 20/20.

i love this though, when I am pumping diesel fuel into my blazer, and somebody comes over quicky and says "you know thats not a gas pump, its diesel." and i just look at them and say, "i sure hope so".
Old 11-18-2003, 07:54 AM

No noisy stinkin diesels. If I wanted that I woulda bought a POS ford.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think most of the bad reputation came from when the brilliant minds at gm decided to use a 350 block and turn the compression way up

modern diesels are nowhere near as bad as the ones made in the 70s and 80s
Old 11-18-2003, 04:49 PM

way to messy

I think I would pass. The new Runners and Tacos are very powerful just the way they are and my 2nd gen can do all I'll ever need it too. Plus the diesel gas stations are a pain in the to find around here. not to mention the stink and noise.. but none the less people should have the choice so bring them on... I just wouldn buy one....Big Kahuna
Old 11-18-2003, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best Diesel

For those of you not sure, the best diesels in the world are yellow and say cat on them. I saw a V8 cat in an f-350 with a custom 140 gallon fuel tank, the ultimate tow rig, in my opinion.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

No noise, no smoke

Guys,

The new diesel engines are super quiet and don't smoke at all.

The new Surf's and LC with diesel are about $2500-$3000 more than gasoline, which is why I didn't get a diesel.

The new ones are not your grand daddy's diesel.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get one if it were in a 3/4 Ton Crew Cab Tundra.

I drove a 2.8 with an aftermarket cooler and turbo. With 35's it would crawl like the devil.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

After reading these posts I must say that most people seem to be comparing gasoline with older diesels or US made diesels.
I drive gas for some 3 years now, after owning and driving almost all toyota diesels, both Landcruisers and Hiluxes.
And yes its true, the former generation diesels, like a 2L-T or 3L, are indeed slow, smelly and stink quit a lot when fiddeld around with. And yes, no EGR, cat or whatever.
But the new generation common rail high pressure diesels are gone be the winners! They are very economic, quit, don't stink and have an amazing torque and even high horsepower numbers.
Once you drive one of these you'll definately want one. And yes, the 3.0 turbo is as fast as the 5VZE. You probably do not notice the difference when driving, exept for the lower rpm's and higher torque.

I just got these from the toyota website:
3.0 D4D commonrail diesel (1KZ-TE): 163 hp, 343 Nm at 1600 rpm
4.2 TD common rail diesel:204 hp, 430 Nm at 1200 rpm

And for replacing parts or maintenance: yes, parts are a bit more expensive, but they simply are stronger and last longer! And used diesel parts are very common over here and not that expensive.
After puting a few 100K on several diesels I NEVER had to replace a diesel pump or injector and only 1 headgasket (my fault).
And the best part: it's perfect for offroading since its waterproof and has no ignition which can fail.

The reason I switched over from diesel to gas is that the road tax is 4 times higher with diesel. The government seems to need to compensate for the better fuel economy and lower diesel and maintenance prices. Basterds.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:48 AM
Contributing Member

Aren't there problems with diesels when the temps drop? Like the fuel gelling or something?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Not that cool! Yes, diesels have problems at lower temps (below freezin') but I allways put a few liters of gas in everytime I filled the baby up. That prevents the diesel from clogging. That cures the problem without any problems for the engine. 10% mix is easily possible without effecting engine performance.
I you have a lot of below feezin' temperatures Toyota will probably have provided a stock fuel heater on the car. Or you can fit one yourself.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

The new diesels have the pre-heater from the factory.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

I'd buy one!

Heck Yeah!

I'd love to have the extra torque of a diesel engine. I am an avid viewer of the TV show Trucks on Spike TV on Saturdays and Sundays. They just re-aired a show where the host, Stacy David, mod-ed up a diesel to squeeze over 200 more hp and even more torque than stock.

He did it with an increased tailpipe diameter, propane injection, and nitrous oxide injection. Now I probably wouldn't do the nitrous, but the propane seems like an awesome way to get extra power, on demand!

Another great feature of diesels is they don't have quite as many electronics, which means they are easier to waterproof for deep stream crossings. (not that I have much of a desire to even attempt such a feat)

Sherpa is in the garage right now with air in the hydraulic lines for the clutch. Until I bleed the lines, I am driving a 1980 Volkswagen Rabbit, DIESEL! Yeah, the surge of power pushing me back in my seat from the 48 horsepower is quite a thrill, but not nearly as fun as staying in the throttle to provide an excellent smokescreen to evade overtaking traffic.

Actually, I just read an article somewhere the other day that stated that diesels produce far less pollutants now than just 15 years ago. They certainly have gotten much quieter. Also, from somebody who has had to stand outside of many fullsize pickups with diesel engines, I have to say the Cummins diesel in Dodges is WAY louder than Ford's Powerstroke, or Chevy's Duramax.

-S
Old 11-19-2003, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, a lot has changed over the last 10 years. In favor of the diesels.
I see a lot of Landcruisers runnin' over here and almost all are diesel. Actually I haven't found a gas model unto now, except for the rare 22RE and the 3VZE.
I just heard from a guy that his friend had his Alfa Romeo diesel now has 180 hp after some tweakin'. And its a 2.0 liter!
Even VW is pushing 150-160 hp with their small diesels in the Rabbit's. That's stock! I drive a Ford for my job and it has 120hp out of a 1.9L Turbo Intercooler.
And the new VW Phaeton with a V10 turbo is up to 313 hp at 750 Nm!:pat: Check the pic.
Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a diesel?-v10-tdi.jpg  
Old 11-19-2003, 09:30 AM

I would love to have a diesel engine. They have come a long ways since the dirty old days. But the US is not as "with it" as the Europeans and other countries that have used diesel power for years. I'm not talking about third world countries either. I would love to have a diesel for the torque and the good mileage and the longevity of the motor itself.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:29 PM

What is the world coming to ?? I guess Im just old School, I love the sound of power strokes, and piped cummins. Anyway I would definitly get a desiel, (if I could afford a new vehical in the first place).
Old 11-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

When will Toyota NA wise up and give us a diesel?

I understand that 'yota is moving production of the pick-up (Hilux) back to japan so maybe we'll be able to get a good small pick-up again (no offence taco lovers ) So maybe we'll get the 3.0 and /or 4.2 the rest of the world gets, If they did a proper job of promotion they would sell like hotcakes. Witness the sale of full size trucks diesel outstrips gas (on those trucks used for work anyway) and have people checked the pump prices lately? the small added cost would be made up over the first year or two in fuel savings, to say nothing of the environmental pluses. Better milage = less fill ups = less fossel fuels being burned.

I say everyone who wants a diesel send a letter to the head offices in the Canada and the US demanding that a diesel be offered in the new model line and CC it to The CEO and Chairman in Japan. maybe then we can get the sweet diesel rumble we all crave. Aviator
Old 11-20-2003, 08:46 AM

Well, my 99 Charged 4Runner is up for sale now; and I'm waiting to see the new VW Touareg Twin Turbo V10 Diesel arriving in January to my City. Its 550+ lbs Torque (@2000rpm) and 308HP that gets over 24MPG in the city. I am holding off on the 2004 V8 Sport with charger to test drive this SUV.

"Might" pull me off of Toyota after 15 years & 5 new Toyota's over that time….

Cost? well after I charge the new Toyota its within $9k (CDN) of the full load VW that has NAV, 4 zone temp control, full leather, and a traction system that you can turn off and lock up with Air adjustable suspension to allow more clearance then the Toyota. Oh and Bi-Xeon lights up front!

Tom.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:50 PM

Thumbs up

I really wish Toyota had a diesel for the US market. I would have definately purchased the diesel. :cry: I keep looking at the F250 and wondering if I should have...
Old 11-20-2003, 03:01 PM

My best friend has had two of the Ford turbo Diesels now over the past three years (F250), although they are very tough and finish is good the mileage is poor. This may or may not sway your choice but at 8 mpg I have a hard time justifying one. I have had a huge relationship with Toyota and truly this VW will have to not let me down on just about every aspect for me to move brands and take the chance.

Tom.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:33 PM

Talking diesel's ... what smells funny?!?

Diesels are a real work house except:

when in side of a Volkswagen
an 80's GMC 5.7 gas converted to diesel (by factory)
when you’re behind an old Detroit diesel going up a hill
a Navistar Ford that needs a tune up
or....
a Toyota 4cyl diesel with no turbo

My perference with diesels is torque. And nothing says torque
like a straight six, Cummings

But, I don't like Dodge pickups because of assembly and general quality issues.

, Jim

1995 Toyota SR5 Hilux, 3.0 V6, 5sp, K&N FIPK, Tornado air inlet, Roadmaster active suspension, Detroit rear locker, etc …

Quick Reply: Would you buy a diesel?