General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

OEM Original Engine Management?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry OEM Original Engine Management?

So I ordered a coolant temp sensor off of Amazon, and it just said OEM. It was a little cheaper than getting one from the dealership. It didn't look exactly like the old one, but I thought whatever, and put it in.

So today I'm looking for another part, and checking prices online. On ebay I see the part made by a company called Original Engine Management, and I think man thats lame they just want to mislead people with the abbreviation OEM. No way an I buying anything from them, just out of principle alone.

Then I get home, and the box for the coolant temp sensor is sitting there. I look closely at it, Original Engine Management, in small letters. Son of a Bitch!

How is that even legal. After 10k, when I go to change my coolant, that crap is coming out, and and a real OEM ETS is going in.

So watch out for these false advertising bastards.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Having never bought off Amazon i have no idea what you can do to file a claim.

Know that what that vendor did is legal. This is a case of Let the Buyer Beware .

Since there is no company or by now there could be going by way of OEM standing for Original Equipment Manufacture which was a term used for any company that supplied any vehicle manufacture with parts.

With Toyota 2 come to mind being Aisin and Denso
Old 09-25-2011, 12:34 AM

You're taking what I said a little to literally. I know its legal, I'm just pissed.

There is nothing I can do about it now. The part is already installed. All I can do is complain to amazon. I buy a ton of stuff from them, and almost never complain. So I might get a credit or something. If enogh people complain maybe they will stop selling the brand. Like I said before, on amazon it said only OEM. I don't remember seeing Original Engine Management anywhere.

huh made in Italy....
Old 04-02-2014, 08:32 PM

Cool OEM company name

I was looking around for some ignition coils (on plug) for my Ford F150. I ended up at a local parts store ( not any of the national names). And I found these coils marked OEM on the box and then I discovered the Original Engine Management name in tiny letters. I don't know who they are and I thought that name is misleading also but the price was right so I decided to take a chance on them. I replaced 3 of the 8 coils and I just had another one go bad so I am going to replace that one tomorroe. I have had two of them installed for about 6 months and one for 4 months. All are working good so far. I have 277,000 on the truck so I figure these coils don't have to last a long time to get me by. But the name is sneaky.