General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

dual fuel propane / gas for 22re theory, give me your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual fuel propane / gas for 22re theory, give me your thoughts

ive been looking at propane conversion kits and it seems that that nowone offers a duel fuel kit for a 22re,
and the ones they do have look like a real pain to install and they cost a pretty good chunk of change.

i thought of this idea when i remebered the the trick for finding vacum leaks using propane and thought of
this:
from what i understand you can't put propane throught the injector lines on the head, and to get around that most people permantly disable the efi and install a carb making it simalier to the 22r.
i like my efi so what if i was to
take an old gas/air mixer off a forklift (basically a very simple version of a carb, but i'll call it that to
keep from confusing things), and put it on my intake right before the efi setup. this would work for sure only
side effect being possible airflow restriction. heres where i encounter the promlem, i can't just let the injectors
dry fire so i need a way to temporarally disconnect the efi preferably a switch if possible. im not talking
about what i've read, like getting rid of the entire wiring harness and fuse box, becuase like i said i want to
make a dual fuel system.
feel free to correct me on anything i missed, i think this is a viable plan but i have to admit i am not very famileir with the efi or really any of the electrical on the 22re. i will likely be rebuilding this motor soon and would like to build this then, any help on this would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You could probably put the mixer in with the throttle body somehow but not sure if the mixer needs to have a venturi effect like a carb to mix the air and fuel or not. You could kill power to the injectors pretty simply by interrupting current to the ballast resistor or the connection back the ECU with a relay. Might be harder getting the ECU to be happy with that overall setup.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there has to be someway i see BRAND NEW CIVIC and even new cabs have dual fuel natural gas setups which is vary similar to propane propane.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another sollution is to put a BLOS before the trottle. Can leave the efi, just have to (electircal) switch the injectors off and also fuelpump.
The BLOS works as an enlish SU carburator, no electrics, but performs better than a mixer.
It works with an ordinary vaporator like Tomasseti Alaska.
The BLOS cost about 120 euros on ebay.
Many people have it in Europe and Aussie.
For more info Google; BLOS lpg

Pete