Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Transmission jack placement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission jack placement?

Hi folks. I'm doing a clutch job, 3vze, r150f tranny, I've got tranny ready to drop, It's on the tranny jack, but I don't like the way it looks. I placed the transmission jack right in front of the cross member before removing cross member. ( I am removing tranny with transfer case attached). Question: is this the best place to "balance" front to back? I was thinking of putting the crossmember back on and placing the jack under it. I'm afraid the whole think is going to fall backwards as soon as I uncouple tranny from engine. Any thoughts? BTW, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The balance point is somewhere near there(pretty much right below the shifters). I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with it. It might want to tip a little forward or backward while you're removing it, but you should be able to manage it with your free hand.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just lifted a V6 tranny this morn that was in my shed. Had to move it to storage unit with the t-cases I've been collecting and the Cruiser. Anyway, lifting with a cherry picker, my 2" strap balanced perfectly just in front of the shifter(towards the engine). Granted this was with no crossmember, but it may help with your placement.

When I did my swap out, I used a jack under the shifters(bottom of trans, directly below the shifters), with a ratchet strap over the top, and I had no problems.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:03 PM

You guys are AWESOME!! Thanks a heckuva lot for the advice. It really helps to hear from folks who have done this before. I have a little harbor freight tranny jack (450 lb. screw type) and It seems a little rickety but I will let you all know how it works out and give any useful details that I can for the next guy that's in my shoes. One problem I am having is that the tranny does not seem to want to seperate from the engine. is this normal? I know I have all the bolts out and a piece of wood between engine oil pan and front axle tube. do I jack tranny up a little to 'break it loose" or just drop it down a little and try to wiggle it out? I'm a little intimidated by the damn thing. Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rokblok
Anyway, lifting with a cherry picker, my 2" strap balanced perfectly just in front of the shifter(towards the engine).
That's pretty much the way I remember it, from when I used the same technique for installation of mine once. I took the passenger door off and lifted them both(no crossmember) into position with a cherry picker through the shifter hole in the cab. Smoothest way to get the thing aligned and plugged into the pilot bearing of anything I've ever tried. Better/easier than a tranny jack IMO.

Originally Posted by Donster
One problem I am having is that the tranny does not seem to want to seperate from the engine. is this normal? I know I have all the bolts out and a piece of wood between engine oil pan and front axle tube. do I jack tranny up a little to 'break it loose" or just drop it down a little and try to wiggle it out? I'm a little intimidated by the damn thing. Thanks again!
In my experience, VERY normal. I prefer to use a wonder bar between the bellhousing and the engine block to pry it out enough to get it started on it's way. But any prybar you got will probably suffice(if you can find a good place to put it). Just keep pryin'/pushin' on it straight back. It'll come loose...eventually. Once you get it ~1" or so pulled out, it'll start gettin' a lot easier.

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-24-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my experience, they tend to bind up because they get out of alignment when you remove the bellhousing bolts. Since the motor mounts are so far forward, and the crossmember is so far back, it wants to sag in the middle. Toyota puts a lot of faith in that bellhousing/engine mating area. I have exact same cheapie harbor freight jack and mine worked fine when I removed my G52 and put in a W56B. Both had t-cases on coming out and going in. It was a little squirrelly, and the ratchet strap that's on it tends to bend the platform since its so thin. But it will handle the weight fine, you just may have to stabilize it.

Be careful, and if it starts to go, let it go. No tranny or t-case is worth a limb or a life.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you have not done this just be careful as this comes out of the splines every one I have ever done with the transfercase attached want to twist toward the side of the front drive shaft.

I use a ratchet strap sporting the everything from the top to just keep it balanced and hanging .

The ratchet within reach.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 AM

It came outa there just fine. That little tranny jack from HF turned out to be the cat's meow. I did however, hang some straps from the frame at the front and at the back of the tranny, loosely, just in case the tranny decided to buck when I backed it outa there. Thanks for the encouragement. Now I'm just waiting on my clutch kit to arrive.