Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

I overtorqued the intake manifold bolts by accident

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I overtorqued the intake manifold bolts by accident

I'll begin by saying I'm new to Toyotas (my wife is the enthusiast) and to this site. I'm retarded when it comes to this type of forum stuff-- I don't mean to "hijack" threads or piss people off however I seem to do, and if the answer is somewhere I haven't found, it isn't that I didn't try looking--it's just that I couldn't find it. Computer navigating is not my thing--just never been good at it. Anyway....to the subject matter.....

I have an '86 4runner, 33's, 22re, 5 sp... I am in the process of replacing my intake and exhaust manifold gaskets...not a big deal, but I found a way to bone myself anyway. I didn't have any spec books with me, so I just figured I'd get the gasket installed, tighten up a the bolts a bit, run home and check online what the torque specs were. Come to find out, the manifold bolt torque specs are 14 ft-lbs. When I went to torque the bolts (in proper sequence), I found that I had already torqued all of them more than the spec. I'm afraid that if I check to see exactly what I torqued them at, I may crack something or split the bolt housing. However, I'm sure I'm over 20 ft-lbs.

I'm pretty sure I didn't damage anything. Certainly nothing is stripped, nor did I hear or feel any snapping.

I would just take it off and reinstall it, but I already RTV'd everything. I want to use the truck this weekend and I'd hate to have to order in another gasket and do this again. Not alot of money I guess, but these days, my wife would rather see diapers for the girls or another gallon of milk. So not looking to do this again unless it's the only way to do it right.

Could I simply loosen the bolts and torque them properly and call it good? What do you think I should do? I appreciate the help.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wouldnt worry about it man. As long as nothing stripped i cant see any harm. I turned wrenchs for years and i know atleast half my torques were not 100% perfect.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM

thanks for the input. I feel better already and it's time to get back to work before the rain. Appreciated!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Nothing on my engine gets tightened with a torque wrench except the head bolts, connecting rod nuts, and the crankshaft bolt. Nothing else on my truck gets tightened with one either, except the wheel bearing lock nuts.

Everything else is as tight as it needs to be, or more. Usually more. I'm a chronic over-torquer. Being schooled in the fine art german of torque estimation, a.k.a. the "guttentite" method. The basic philosophies there being a) apply torque until "guttentite!", and b) err on the side of caution, if in doubt tighten a little bit more just to be safe.

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-29-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You should be fine

like stated only important things ever get torqued .

It might be safer to care for the children and let your wife work on the truck!!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I always say; "Keep on tightening until you hear something crack, then back it off a quarter turn."

Just kidding, don't do that.

You will be just fine. I've installed these intakes without using a torque wrench a bunch of times without any problems.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
All true, BUT, any time you're tightening something into an aluminum part (like the head), be very careful not to overtorque. If you didn't strip anything you're fine, but the exaust manifold bolt holes in particular are notorious for stripping out and having to be heli-coiled. So next time, torque wrench. This time, sounds like you're fine.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Thanks everybody

Thank you for your input. I do appreciate it.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stripped out a bolt once on a rebuild, could not over size the whole.....I'll tell ya that JB weld holds very well.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:19 AM

its not unknown the intake expands and contracts when its heated and it cracks during expansion if bolts are over torqued.
I would loosen and retorque and hope the gasket isn't damaged and seals.
( Dorman intake manifold installation instructions)
since the Dorman is a rtv gasket installed by the manufacture, I would hope it would expand once loosened.
ford OEM is a separate gasket and could have been damaged as it is plastic and about 1/8th inch thick.
Known to be commonly defective at the return water port seal where it does break and cause either a vacuum leak or water leak or both because the manifold and the gasket can crack and break.