Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Hard to start when cold. Loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard to start when cold. Loss of power.

So when the weather turned cold, my truck started running like CRAP. It's a 1984 22r with a EFI conversion(CA). When cold it takes a little while to start and when it does it sputters in the low rpms. Then when i try and rev it it bogs and can die if I give it too much gas. When it warms up it run ok. Only OK. I ran it to my friends house about 30 miles away and it threw a code 5, not to mention it ran like ˟˟˟˟ the whole time. When warm it idles fine and starts up fine. Here are some things I did.

Replaced spark plugs/Wires.
Checked Ignition coil
Replaced Igniter
Checked AFM
Replaced fuel filter
Ran seafoam in vacuum line and tank

I'm thinking clogged injector(s) or valve clearance off. The code 5 I got says bad o2 bad ECU or injectors running full rich/lean. I think it's running full lean seeing as I changed the plugs and they looked pretty burnt. I need help fixing this BADLY it's driving me nuts....

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM

I'm going to check valve clearances now. Will post updates for those who care lol
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM

Valves all in spec. And I found that my truck is equipped with a LCE adjustable cam gear. Don't know what it does other than advancing the timing?

So I guess the valves weren't my problem. I tested the AFM and it is in spec. But I still think thats the problem....
Old 10-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Hard start how? Like it cranks and cranks and cranks? Then stumbles and then cranks and cranks? Then fires off finally?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-22r-e-228223/
Old 11-01-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Hard start how? Like it cranks and cranks and cranks? Then stumbles and then cranks and cranks? Then fires off finally?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128...-22r-e-228223/
YES! Exactamundo. Cranks just fine. First few times is COMPLETELY dead, then it stumbles like it's gonna start. Then it finally fires up and runs rough. Then warms up and runs ok, but only ok.

Thanks for the reply. I will see what adjusting it does. Would this also make it run lean when it's warmed up? On the way home I was cruising at 55mph and the CEL came on ending up to be a code 5. It feels like it wasn't getting enough gas causing it to throw that lean code...
Old 11-01-2013, 09:24 AM

Ok I adjusted it. It seemed like it was only half the problem. It started, but when I rev it it bogs down. It seems like it's starving for fuel, or getting too much air... This is so frustrating, i've never had such a troublesome 22re.. I'm about to set it on fire.

Ok This thing was modified a bunch by the Previous Owner. It looks to have an in-line fuel pump AND a backup napa fuel pump. I think the fuel pump is going out. I'm gonna try and hook up the napa pump and see what happens.

Last edited by TOY0DA; 11-01-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Unfortunately with these early efi's is it can be pretty difficult to figure out what's wrong. It's not like obd2 vehicles. I was always really lucky with mine and never had an issue. It still sounds like an afm issue to me. You fully checked the afm against the fsm specs right? The cold start injector should help when motor is cold and I believe that's controlled off one of the temp sensors under the throttle body. Not sure about the o2 sensor since I never had issues but I did make sure to use OEM ones, the denso units iirc
Old 11-01-2013, 12:08 PM

Unfortunately with these early efi's is it can be pretty difficult to figure out what's wrong. It's not like obd2 vehicles. I was always really lucky with mine and never had an issue. It still sounds like an afm issue to me. You fully checked the afm against the fsm specs right? The cold start injector should help when motor is cold and I believe that's controlled off one of the temp sensors under the throttle body. Not sure about the o2 sensor since I never had issues but I did make sure to use OEM ones, the denso units iirc
Thanks for the replies, it's good to have some kind of input. I checked the afm to the fsm specs. I'm going to check again. Does the cold start injector have anything to do with the engine when it's fully warmed up? It has like no power when It's warm and i'm going down the road. Such a restricted feeling...
Old 11-01-2013, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

It shouldnt no, afaik. Only kicks on in a cold start condition.

You could have a bad connection somewhere. You may have to read everything out from the ecu out to the sensors. Theres a lot of info on here about troubleshooting these issues. Now this is a swapped in efi? Did you take everything from the donor? These 22re efi systems were used for many years and mix matching usually leads to issues.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Are you getting good spark? How old is the coil?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM

It shouldnt no, afaik. Only kicks on in a cold start condition.

You could have a bad connection somewhere. You may have to read everything out from the ecu out to the sensors. Theres a lot of info on here about troubleshooting these issues. Now this is a swapped in efi? Did you take everything from the donor? These 22re efi systems were used for many years and mix matching usually leads to issues.
Yes it's a swapped efi. I know nothing of the swap as It was done before I got the truck. I can't even find the ECU....

Yes it has wayyy good spark. It has a MSD ignition 6A with the stock toyota coil. I replaced the coil and it did nothing to help the problem so I took the replacement part back...
Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM

I could tell that the truck wasnt as powerful as it could be when I got it, and the problem just got worse. Only recently has it given me such bad issues like not starting at all. It's weird, because it seems intermittent. I thought it was the AFM in the beginning, and that might be what it is gonna end up being. There are a bunch of flat spots through the rpm range...
Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Hmmmm....an aftermarket ignition system. I had an crane hi6 ignition box on mine and the truck ran worse. I kept the crane coil and put the OEM ignition back on. Ran way better.

Also, the ecu "should" be under the passenger kick panel.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Yeah, but it would make no sense for the ignition system to run differently based on engine temp right?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't think so.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:44 PM

Alrighty. I just checked the AFM again.... I'm not getting a reading in a few of the terminals that are supposed to be a certain ohm. BASTARD afm! lol... I thought it was the culprit the whole time. Looks like i'm gonna have to shell out some bucks to truly find out if it was the problem...

Any suggestions on where to purchase one? Used? Ebay? I heard of the supra being some sort of upgrade? Should I just replace it with the same unit?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you have any freinds with one on thier trucks? that would let you switch and test?
Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
you have any freinds with one on thier trucks? that would let you switch and test?
That is a great suggestion. Only friend I have with a toyota has a v6... I dont think that will help.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Ya, you can upgrade to the supra afm but at this point I would just find the same one. Either junkyard or online junkyard.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:16 PM

Ya, you can upgrade to the supra afm but at this point I would just find the same one. Either junkyard or online junkyard.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate your input and patience. You helped alot more than you know...

I will try and post an update when I get an AFM.

Quick Reply: Hard to start when cold. Loss of power.