Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

exhaust seems hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust seems hot

Hello,
My name is David, and am a recent Toyota owner. It is a 89 base model 4x4 with 150k on it and a 22re. It was a southern truck and has a very nice body for its age. It had some issues when I got it that I had fixed. It had a knock sensor code, and was running rough. The guy who owned it prior to me had engine work done, and gave me the vauge reciept for it. I think and it was kind confirmed by the repair shop that it had a valve job, and timing chain. The valves were set to tight, and they replaced the knock sensor, and it runs alot better. The compression is a little low from specs, but cosistant accross all 4 cyl. I also had to put a complete new exhaust on it. I wanted to get by reasonable on price and found a place called Parts Geek that had a complete Bosol exhaust (stock type). My question is it seems to run hot in the manifold area. For example, I just took a 500 mile trip with it, and was driving in my stocking feet because my new boots were hurting my feet, and the floor boards were quite warm. (yes all the stock heat shields are in place) Did I do wrong, by putting a stock type exhaust on? I thought the converter they sent looked small, but they said it was the one. The tail pipe also looks small. The lead pipe into the muffler, the muffler, and tail pipe all came as one assembly. I was trying to read the archives on this topic, but I read conflicting opinions on exhaust ideas and cold air intakes. Most posts praise doing it and some posts say the engine in designed to run with a certain amout of back preassure. Advice would be appreciated! Any other questions to properly help just let me know.
Thanks in advance,
David
Old 05-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, some backpressure is needed.

I fail to see your problem with the exhaust. As for the exhaust manifold heat, well, exhaust gases at the manifold/down pipe, etc. are very hot. Having warm tootsies is not much of a measure, IMO, considering you may not have a tootsie baseline before the exhaust change.

BTW, paragraphs are much appreciated for ease of reading.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:45 AM

I was not really declaring I had a problem. I was just saying my exhaust seems hot.

I know exhast gas is hot. I am 46 years old, and have owned and worked on my own cars and trucks the whole time I have been driving. It is more than just my "tootsies" getting warm. The steering column rod, and left front steel brake line are hot enough to burn a guy and they are several inches away. Just seems odd to me.

Other owners of Toyata trucks obviously feel there are "breathing" issues with these trucks so I am just trying to get some advice on if I was wrong in putting a stock type exhaust on.

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs. Some forums and groups take the extra breaks out of messages, so I have gotton sloppy I guess.
Thanks,
David
Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry if I came off a bit flip...not my intent at all. I'm also the same age you are.

Yeah, that does seem warm. Hopefully some of the guys that have rigs around that year will chime in.

ChefYota4x4 has a long thread here in the past month detailing his difficulties passing Cali emissions. It seems that back pressure is needed so the EGR system works correctly at least in his '87 22RE. A poorly operating EGR tends to let combustion temps creep up and likely the exhaust temps too.

I know he had to take the LCE headers and exhaust off and put the stock manifold, etc. back on to pass.

Are you running the stock manifold?

Last edited by rworegon; 05-26-2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

You don`t say where you live or the ambient air temperature.

Did you drive the five hundred miles in 10 or 12 hours.

You are going to get lots of heat soak on that kind of trip.Also the transmission also gets quite warm on a trip like this.

Just remember your exhaust is right underneath your feet and metal is a good conductor of heat.

When you checked under the hood was the manifold or the down pipe glowing a dull red??

I have been running stock exhaust for years then I never drove bare foot or on a 500 mile trip.

To check this out get a infrared thermometer
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM

Hi,
I live in Wisconsin, and drove to a gathering in Indiana for a couple of days, so the 500 miles was not all in one day. It was last weekend when I made the trip, and I know the temps got up there pretty good like in the low to mid 80's. The manifold didn't go to a dull red as far as I know. I looked at it once on the way down. The truck actually runs a bit on the cold side on the water temp, so maybe i am just not use to being a Toyota owner yet. When I did stop to check though, I know the steering column shaft which is several inches away couldn't be touched, nor the metal breakline going down to the drivers side front. Just thought it may be possible Parts Geek sold me the wrong CAT or something.
Thanks for the reply,
David
Old 05-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Wink

If you had a exhaust restriction (bad cat crushed pipe) Your truck would run very poor all the time. It would also heat up in a 15 mile trip.

I will say with this hot weather I have a stock 3.4 it gets so hot where my right foot rests in say 20 or 30 mile trip this is through my work boots .

the exhaust is different but it does give you a idea.

Just a vehicle out in the Hot sun can be painful to touch .

I think you will be just fine
Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the input, and insight. It sounds like it is what it is. It is running ok, so the CAT must be functioning right. Maybe I will look at adding or modifying the heat shields to try to keep it cooler in the cab. I know my big 7.3 ford diesels get a little warm at the floor also, but this little truck gets a little warmer yet it seems.
David
Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 AM

Wink

Interesting I have a 96 7.3 and I have not noticed any heat compared to the Toyota vehicles.

Then my longer trips were in the cold temperatures..

I also fear that the Yota spirits are haunting my Ford since it is the only non Toyota on my place.