Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Clutch not working after replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch not working after replacement

Truck is a Toyota 1994 4x4, 3.0 SR5 manual Transmission.
Hello everyone I’m new to this site. I did a search of this site and I can't find the answer to my problem. I saw the same question but no answers. Issue before was the clutch seemed not to engage until the clutch pedal was almost all the way out. So I got a clutch kit, pulled the drive shaft, dropped the clutch onto a floor jack, (I did not take the cluck all the way out). Just disconnect the clutch slave from the bell housing and did not brake the line. Removed all other needed pats along with the stick shifts to the best of my ability. I replaced the clutch with a clutch kit putting parts in the way they came out (New Clutch Set; Contains Clutch Disc, Cover Assembly, Release Bearing, Pilot Bushing/Bearing & Alignment Tool; Cover Type: Diaphragm; 9 1/4x21Tx1 1/8). I forgot to put grease that came with the kit for the clutch spline. I can only shift into gear when the engine is off. So I cleaned the clutch master cylinder, bled the line at the slave cylinder. I can move the truck by putting into gear while off then starting the engine, but can’t shift. While engine is on and in first gear the clutch engages as soon as the clutch pedal is about 1 ½” or less off the floor board. I do know that I may have a bad slave cylinder, but I can’t get a wrench fluid line on the back of the slave. I have looked at removing the slave cylinder from the top, but that looks hard also. If I have to take to a shop for further diagnosing and repair what are the normal hours to replace a clutch, and how much might it cost me. I have the manufactures owners manual, and a Haynes repair manual. Does any know where I may get a better online manual? Can anyone help? Thanks George
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you tried Pumping the clutch to see if that will allow it to go into gear? If so then your Clutch master cyldiner is likely at fault.

Does the clutch pedal feel spongey? Is it somewhat firm?

Have a friend press and depress the clutch while you look under the vehicle to see if the slave cyldiner is traveling. If not then more than likely the slave cylinder and or clutch master cyldinder at fault.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't take it to the shop; too much money. If you replaced the clutch, plate and bearings you can def. replace the slave cylinder. You can get to it from the side of the tranny its just kinda difficult. Try pulling off the little access panel from the wheel well and see if you can get to it that way, I didn't have a line wrench, just used a open end box wrench, it will work if your careful. Are you certain he clutch splined up all the way against the input shaft? I'd say something's not lining up from the sound of it and if you didn't pull the tranny back far enough it's possible that happened. Welcome to YotaTech!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM

You put the clutch plate in backwards. this would cause the exact problem you are having. The only way to fix it is to pull the clutch again.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:54 PM

Thanks so, so much for your quick replies and help. I'm not sure if the splined up all the way. I will try to access the slave cylinder from the side. I've tried to pump the clutch and very fast to bleed the system and that did not help. The slave cylinder is moving when the clutch is depressed. The clutch pedal is firm after bleeding. I called a clutch shop and they will look at free and if it is something simple like bleeding the system, or replacing the slave it will be $80, but have not decided about that route yet. That is why I came here. It’s raining today so I'll have to look at your suggestion tomorrow. But in the meantime if you have any other suggestion that would be great. Thanks again George
Old 06-11-2012, 12:57 PM

If the truck is off I can pump the clutch and it will go into gear but it's not easy. If the is on it will not go into gear no matter how much I pump the clutch. Thanks 93Toyrunner2. Anything is possible.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 AM

Just a guess but could be bad syncros.. sounds like a suspect "going into gear easy when off but not when running". I have had a problem with bad syncros before and it showd up the same way as you described. It also made it where I had to put a little force on the lever when I shifted into first and reverse.

Also when I had the clutch plate replaced in my truck they had to adjust the slave and something at the pedal...said it was "adjusted all the way out" what ever that means.

Last edited by gooberclese; 06-28-2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 AM

jayzad - Update?