Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

5vz vacum hose routing help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5vz vacum hose routing help needed.

Okay...new here and I'm really not sure how to start a new thread, or if i really should. I know how people hate worthless threads. So i decided to post here since this seems to be pretty random and heavily used. I have a 96 t100 and I've working on a misfire for the past two months. Anyways I'm finally putting it all back together for the finally time (in a perfect world). I have to take the intake off because i had to replace the injector connectors and a fuel line because of a toasty bon fire i had in my engine one evening. Now i cant remember where all of the hoses go. I think i have them all figured out right except for the back drivers corner...i think its a vacuum sensor maybe? It has a red connector and body. So can someone with a 5vzfe help me out? I just need like a picture to see where all the small diameter hoses go.
Thanks for any help
Old 03-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you post up a picture of the area and hose you are talking about?

Where does the hose lead to i.e. what on the other end? Any open hose nipple nearby on the upper manifold or the charcoal cannister?

Last edited by rworegon; 03-12-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60545918@N04/

Hope that works...not possitive it will though. The area of the first picture is where I'm totally lost
Old 03-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Pic 1 is correct....from fuel regulator up to the Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV)
Pic 2 the open nipple on the T should connect to a hose that runs along the throttle cable and ends up at a Switching Valve just below and slightly behing the fuse box (at least it goes there on my Tacoma).
Pic 3 those two small ones should be capped off as they are and the large one plugs into the flexible air intake tube.

Do any of these help:

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoapp/9316/9...M_DIAGRAMS.htm

or here starting at post 41 (on a 4Runner):
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...&topic=2241.30

Last edited by rworegon; 03-12-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

There is also a nipple just below the large hose and stud/nut in Pic 2. It's on the back of the upper intake (driver side) and connects to another VSV right next to the one for the fuel regulator - again this is on my Tacoma.

Last edited by rworegon; 03-12-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:15 AM

Those pictures from ultimateyota are exactly what I've been looking for. I had a feeling I was close or correct. Should be able to finish putting it back together today. I'm really hoping this fixes my misfire. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome.....that thread on ultimateyota is the cats meow, IMO. Good luck!

The 1st 3 pics there on UY, shows the vacuum line that goes to that T...his is like mine....it's that line that has the blue Control Valve (not sure if this is the proper term) in it.

Last edited by rworegon; 03-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:17 AM

LOL yeah. Thanks again
Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM

Now I have everything back together and I'm pretty sure its all right. But my misfire on cylinder 6 is still there. I don't know where to go from here. So far I've checked distriutor, coil, wire, plug, and injector. The plug does read as a little lean, but my exhaust smells rich to me. Could I have ruined an O2 sensor? Some other sensor? the misfire doesn't happen on cold start ups, but when it goes into gear, it goes nuts. Sometimes it'll go away when it gets revved high. Any advice?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

My 5vz-fe has direct ignition coils and has no distributor. What are you calling the distributor on a 5vz-fe? Are you throwing a Check Engine Light (CEL)? If so, do you know what code? How old are the plug wires? Are they Toyota wires? These engines can be finicky with non-Toyota wilre and plugs.

Did you have the injectors cleaned while it was apart?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/p...e-3-4l-202211/
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...hlight=misfire

Last edited by rworegon; 03-13-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Re-reading your OP, you mentioned a 'bonfire' you had in your engine. Did you inspect and repair/replace all damaged wires? You may have a melted wire someplace that is shorting out causing havoc.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:26 PM

The fire occured after the misfire had already started. But i did replace every wire and connector that got burned. So I'm basically back to square one. My CEL is on and the code was just for misfire on cylinder 6. I haven't checked it since the misfire started. Should i get it checked again to see if there's something else too? I just bought the truck 6 months ago. I haven't replaced the wires myself, but the previous owner took the truck into the dealer for regular maintinance. The wires look good visually. By distributor i mean the thing above each plug on the passenger side bank where the wire starts. I switched that out along with the wire and coil from cylinder 6 with another one and it was still mis firing on 6. I didnt really clean the injector. Does running injector cleaner through the fuel system work good enough? Or do i need to take the intake off again and clean it?
Old 03-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, get the CEL checked again and record it (hopefully, you have a local auto parts place that loans the reader) and then erase the code with the reader or by pulling the neg. battery cable for a minute or so.

You may want to consider ordering a new set of wires and plugs for these guys in Tacoma...they have great online prices:
https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/catalogs.html

Some have good success running Seafoam (available at the local auto parts place) through the fuel system to help clean the injectors. Do a search here on Seafoam...lots of info.

If the Seafoam does not help, consider sending your injectors to www.witchhunter.com (they are in the Seattle area) for cleaning. I sent mine up there last fall and had them back 4 days after I mailed them...their turn around times are running 2 days right now.

Last edited by rworegon; 03-13-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:03 PM

okay thanks. Tomorrow I'll get the code and try some Seafoam
Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Also, check your crank pulley. Yes, some here have found the crank pulley bolt was loose and causing a misfire....strange, but true.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM

thats what i read. Just check the torque right?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:00 PM

So I'm trying to check to make sure that my crank pulley is tight enough. Is there a way to hold the pulley in place without going and buying a special tool?
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

I made a tool up like the one shown in post #7:
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...=pulley+holder

A 4 foot piece of metal and a few bolts, washers, and nuts is all it takes.

The proper torque is 217 ft-lbs.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 AM

I went and got my codes read. Came up with the multiple misfire code along with misfires on three cylinders. I think this is because one of the wires on my coil packs popped out when I pulled the intake off. Thats plugged in so i think the mis is still just on 6. And the guy at auto zone was doing everything he could to talk me out of sea foam. He told me to pull the injectors, hook them up to the rail and look at how they spray. Even if i did that, wouldn't it still be safe to run some sea foam through there before hand? I really have a hunch its a clogged injector or something fuel related, but i want to isolate it before i send any parts off. Since 6 is the last to get fuel, could it be low fuel pressure?

I'm really appreciating all of your help. Forums are the best thing to come out of internet.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:44 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
pull your injectors and send them out for cleaning. There is a guy in kirkland, Jim with injector lab. I usually go with him. There are a couple others if I recal.. running a can through your gas usually does nothing and is a gimmick at best.

Quick Reply: 5vz vacum hose routing help needed.