Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1KZ-TE Hot Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1KZ-TE Hot Start Issue

Hi guys,
I am having a strange starting issue with my 1KZ-TE 3.0L Turbo Diesel which is in my Automatic 1994 KZJ78 Landcruiser Prado.

When I start the engine in the morning it will start almost straight away. I always wait for the second click of the glow plug relay to sound before turning the key to crank the engine. The idling is usually pretty smooth with the occasional misfire which I believe may be due to the poor fuel here in Zambia. At the moment the temperatures are getting to around <10 degrees celcius in the morning.

When I try to start the engine when the car is hot the engine may take 6-8 cranks before the engine starts (often with a few misfires) and often quite a bit of smoke comes out. I just tested this morning and even after starting hot (after the many cranks) then turning off and immediately trying to start again it requires the many cranks to start.

I have tried:
1. 'Resetting' the ECU by disconnecting the batteries for a few mins. No change.
2. Pumping the fuel pump before hot starting. No change.

I did have a problem with the engine not starting at all a few weeks ago which turned out to be corrosion on the glowplug relay contacts preventing the relay from operating. The relay contacts were cleaned and the engine started.

Also this car did have a problem with a blown ECU last year which was then replaced by the previous owner.

I am pretty useless mechanically so does anyone have any ideas how to go about diagnosing?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
sounds like possibly too much fuel. I am not too familiar with diesel, but with gasoline engines there is a coolant sensor that tells the ecu if its cold or not. Maybe the coolant sensor to the ecu thinks the motor is cold all the time?
Oh and if you could post some pictures of your prado that would be sweet for us non prado having guys.

Last edited by vital22re; 06-19-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:55 PM

KZJ78 Prado

Hi,
I think you are likely right about a fuel/water sensor. I have the 1KZ-TE Engine Manual downloaded and they say check the fuel sensor. I guess I will have to get out the multimeter.

I have attached a picture of the Prado.

Biggest failings of this truck:
- Stupid Auto Electric Hub Locks which have long failed. Currently making spacer brackets to allow AISIN manual hubs.
- Open front and rear diffs (there was an option for LSD and Locker rear but Japanese soccer mums don't really need it).

Found the problem with the combination of these failings the hard way when stuck in Chobe National Park in the sand with just one rear wheel spinning Trying to open and manually lock the front hubs in the sand whilst looking out for lions and elephants on a 40 degree celcius day wasn't much fun

Modifications:
- 2" Ironman Lift Kit (KZJ78 has front and rear coils)
- (very soon) Manual Hub Lock Conversion
- (very soon) Aussie Locker Rear Diff

Cheers,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails 1KZ-TE Hot Start Issue-1994_kzj78_prado.jpg  
Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Thank you for the picture! I can't compare any of my stuck situations with that. Thats pretty scary having to look out for lions and elephants. Good luck! and let us know what happens!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:46 AM

Thanks.

I am not sure how good these ECU self-diagnostics are but I tried the 'Normal' and 'Test' mode diagnostics whist the issue was happening and the ECU did not report any fault.

I will take it to an old-school mechanic who should be able to think his way though the problem.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 PM

Hey Mike.

I know its a long time ago but did you get your hot start problem fixed?

I am asking because I have the same problem with a 1KZ-TE engine in my 98 Surf.

Can you please let me know what you found as I cant get to the bottom of it.

Thanks.