03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Driveline vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driveline vibration?

Greetings,
It has been awhile since I have posted anything on Yotatech, but I thought I had a good problem to post. Also...we have been busy moving from Northern Arizona to Western Colorado. It has been good to be back in the mountains.

Okay...this is what I have. I have a 2 inch lift from OME (new front springs/shocks and new rear leafs/shocks) on my 2006 Tacoma 4dr short bed. The lift was installed by a trusted shop in Utah at about 15000 miles. I now have about 32000 miles and have a vibration that seems to be in the driveline and seems to be getting worse.

The truck has been to the Toyota dealer and checked out. The dealer felt the driveline was fine and the problem was in the tires. They saw a flat spot in one tire and they felt that would cause a vibration. The tires are BF Goodrich A/T KO. We are not sure where the flat spot came from...we have not locked the breaks up since we bought the truck new.

I can feel the the vibration right from a dead stop. I can feel it again at approximately 20-25mph and again at 60-65mph.

I feel the vibration could be caused from the lift and hoping that this can be fixed before other issues arise.

Any suggestions or solutions would be a great help.

Also, anyone know of a good shop on the western slope of Colorado.

Thanks,
2wptaco
Old 04-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Check the alignment and phasing (if it is a u-joint shaft):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...line-101.shtml
Old 04-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the website and information.

Can this be fixed/check at the toyota dealer or a specialty shop?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Some people have had 'luck' getting rid of the driveshaft vibration when they eliminate the carrier bearing by going to a one piece rear driveshaft after lifting.
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.ph...ght=driveshaft
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t196663.html

Here is a quote from another forum that might show you what you are experiencing:
Originally Posted by mickdady
:eek:
Ok, this scares me. Another thread motivated me to get off my arse and take a look at the vibration issue. I mounted my helmet cam under the truck and recorded the carrier bearing. What I saw amazed and disheartend me.

This is three pulls from a dead stop. Max speed is 25mph. In the beginning I try a powerbrake to see if that showed anything.

To me its obvious the Carrier bearing isn't strong enough, but what suprised me even more is the entire cross member is shaking pretty violently too! From in the cab this is a pretty light shake but the video shows its much worse. You can even hear the vibration in the video.

My next step is either get a tom woods drive shaft or I may try having a drive shaft company put on a heavy duty carrier. I am liking this idea less and less however after seeing the crossmember shake.

I can't imagine the carrier will last long like this.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 PM

First question is : when does it virbrate?when coasting or accelerating or both?

Sounds like a u-joint or your drive shaft being out of phase. When you put it in gear and drive or go from P to D or P to R or D to R are there any clanking noices or slop before you start to move.

Last one : have you ever changed your diff oil? Ive never seen it in a toyota but my freind has a ranger that is vibrating, he was too lazy to change the oil in the diffs, i finally got him too and it was half water, half oil. His ring gear has alot of chips and warpage so it causes some bad gear chatter.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
First question is : when does it virbrate?when coasting or accelerating or both?

Sounds like a u-joint or your drive shaft being out of phase. When you put it in gear and drive or go from P to D or P to R or D to R are there any clanking noices or slop before you start to move.

Last one : have you ever changed your diff oil? Ive never seen it in a toyota but my freind has a ranger that is vibrating, he was too lazy to change the oil in the diffs, i finally got him too and it was half water, half oil. His ring gear has alot of chips and warpage so it causes some bad gear chatter.
Thanks again for the responses. The video clip looked to have the same issues I could be having.

When you say out of "phase" do you mean out of balance? If the u-joint is out of "phase"...would I feel a little slop in the driveline?

I do not think it is a water issue...I have been religious about service and the check, but I am not sure how indepth the Toyota dealer has been with the diff. Also the truck lived in the desert for most of it's miles, but now is seeing more water lately. I will check the water suggestion, but my gut is thinking driveline still.

Also, I might have missed it, but was the video a 05 or newer Tacoma?

One more question...I have seen a after market driveline for Tacomas, who makes that? I can not remember, but I saw someone replaced the factory driveline with a solid one piece.

Thanks,
2wptaco
Old 04-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Drive shaft phasing explained:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri....shtml#Phasing
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM

If youve ever had any work done to your running gear or suspension, possibly on lift install. If you take your D shaft out at the spline your sposed to mark it so you put it back in exactly as it was before, if you dont do this and the ears are out of alignment it can cause some seriose vibration. Thats what being in phase is, the above link explains it too. When does it vibrate though? when coasting or accelerating or both?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Justinvd
If youve ever had any work done to your running gear or suspension, possibly on lift install. If you take your D shaft out at the spline your sposed to mark it so you put it back in exactly as it was before, if you dont do this and the ears are out of alignment it can cause some seriose vibration. Thats what being in phase is, the above link explains it too. When does it vibrate though? when coasting or accelerating or both?
Thanks 4Crawler for the link you provided.

I will have to check and see if anything looks funky.

The vibration is noticable when I start moving. Right when the drive shaft gets power a vibration is noticable. It is not constant and reoccurs at 20-25 mph. Then things seem fine and the vibration comes back at 60-65 mph. I did have a Toyota dealer tell me in Phoneix when I first really noticed the vibration and it is caused by the lift. They did not seem to want to fix it and made it sound like it would not be a big deal. At the time I did not like the answer, but figured as long as it did not get worse...it would be fine. I was wrong.

So far everyone seems to agree on the driveline/driveshaft as being a problem due to the lift. I am hoping for the easy fix...we will see.

I have seen folks replace the driveshaft...good option? I have seen replacement cost from $200-500 for the driveshaft.

Thanks again for everyones help and suggestions.

2wptaco
Old 04-11-2008, 05:22 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 2wptaco
Also, I might have missed it, but was the video a 05 or newer Tacoma?

Yes, got it from the '05+ taco folder on another forum...
Old 04-11-2008, 11:06 AM

Tom Woods is where most folks have been going for a 1 piece DS, but really you could have one made by a specialty driveline shop.

I've had my vibes since I lifted, and its pretty common. Mine occurs at around 15 miles per hour, and goes away at higher speeds. If you have multiple vibrations, it may be from different sources. I had high speed vib issues that were from tire balance/alignment issues, whereas my low speed vibs are from the driveline. Just keep that in mind.