Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

WHY IS THE 3vze so bad to some

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan of the 3.0

Yes, the 22re is one of the best motors on the planet!

But I've had good luck with several 3.0 powered vehicles. Manual tranny makes a HUGE difference. My understanding is that the 340H automatic sucks power for the tranny pump AND the transfer case; it's like powering two transmissions. Plus, the automatic hub system keeps some of the front drive parts turning all the time. Manual hubs would could help.

I am in the process of starting to build a 3.0 with performance in mind; the block has been bored over .030 and I'm looking around for high performance parts. Who makes cams, bigger valves, and throttle bodies for 3.0's? Does anyone know of shops in Northern Cal (or Reno) that port and polish heads?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
No power
Serious head gasket problems that have led to the death of many a 3VZE.
2 valve design seriously limits performance modifications.
Performance mods that usually good gains have little effect on the 3VZE.
Oiling issues leading to the death of lots.
im having some issues with my 3vze, its pretty sluggish especially on any sort of incline and seems to burn oil fast. im thinking about getting the compression checked.,.any other engine issues to look for?
what i have read about this engine is that it doesnt have much pep or power but i think it should have more than it does
Old 12-03-2012, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Austin Marr
No difference between the runner and p/u. when mine was lagging and sounding like it had more power than the wheels were putting to the ground i thought i had piston slap and major loss of compression somehow. i got sick of it and just decided to check the plugs and all of them were good except one. completely wet and i noticed the plug wire pulled off really easily, too easily so i trimmed the rubber boot down and pushed it on there till i heard it click and since then its ran awesome. ran even better after i did the head gaskets. also, my O2 sensor was bad so that didnt help either. truck runs like a champ now
did your check engine light come on at all? how did you know the 02 sensor was bad?
Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 AM

I have the 3vze, 3.0. Manual 5 speed. Bought the truck brand new in 1989. I now have 391,000 miles on it. I have only adjusted the valves once, at 160,000 miles, checked 'em again at 360,000 and they hadn't changed. No blown head gaskets, no problems with this motor. I do think it is underpowered on the highway.....but get her in 4wd low and it runs like a stripped ape. I just hauled in 11 chords of firewood with it this fall in steep and rugged terrain of the Sangre de Cristo mountains. No problems with this motor. I do wish it got better distance between fill ups, though. My average mpg is around 17. That part sucks.

Last edited by Donster; 12-19-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Donster
I have the 3vze, 3.0. Manual 5 speed. Bought the truck brand new in 1989. I now have 391,000 miles on it. I have only adjusted the valves once, at 160,000 miles, checked 'em again at 360,000 and they hadn't changed. No blown head gaskets, no problems with this motor. I do think it is underpowered on the highway.....but get her in 4wd low and it runs like a stripped ape. I just hauled in 11 chords of firewood with it this fall in steep and rugged terrain of the Sangre de Cristo mountains. No problems with this motor. I do wish it got better distance between fill ups, though. My average mpg is around 17. That part sucks.

that's good to hear. im not sure whats up with mine. Im going to get the compression tested this week. it seems to be burning oil kinda fast even though there are no visible leaks. ive heard the problem with them is the head gasket
Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow... hard to think i posted on this same thread 6 years ago....

since then my 3.slow is starting to show her age. her fuel econ has dropped significantly and just doesnt have the get up and go she used to.

perhaps time for some tuneup.... she stopped being my DD about 4 years ago...
Old 12-21-2012, 03:27 PM

Ok I've had 2 3vz powered runners 90-94 the 90 was a kool truck but bought it not running he jumped the timing belt getting on the hwy so she had some bent valves or something ticked like hell but I beat that thing for 50000ks like that it was gutless but she get u there it was ok on fuel like 18-20mpgs my buddy ran it low on oil and she blew ! got it started but it sounded like a lawnmowerbut she was a great tru and ya my next one was a 94 she was the same engine but the tranny worked a little different ! that was a great truck had 1.5 times the power as the first one but a little worse on fuel!! put 150000ks on that one and giving it to my bro cheap she needs bodywork but still drives the best out of all them!! now have a 93 22re w-56 the motor apperanty was rebuilt and bored out I kinda belive it as she runs good and don;t leak anything!! but it rattles around worse than the bent valve 3vz but she has better torque between 1500-3000 than either 3vz more power between 2500 -4500 then quits right there where the v6`s reved the autos to 5800-6000 they sing more than 22res but the 22re is a better 4x4 motor I think!! but also the 22re is stick the old engine and auto I took out was rediculasly slow when hot and she`d over heat at 60mph or above not too bad cold but the oil press is way better in the v6 and seem tighter so ya there great engines for what they do I never had a stick one but kinda wish I did the swap for the v6 cause the 4 ain;t any better on back hwys b ut it is better on the trails for fuel so ya I think they were good for stock power but I think the 22re is better for upgrades but not really either !! the newer 3rz sounds kool for that but I love old skool!!
Old 12-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snap-on
wow... hard to think i posted on this same thread 6 years ago....

since then my 3.slow is starting to show her age. her fuel econ has dropped significantly and just doesnt have the get up and go she used to.

perhaps time for some tuneup.... she stopped being my DD about 4 years ago...
I was just thinking how long ago it was that I last saw this thread too.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok I've had 2 3vz powered runners 90-94 the 90 was a kool truck but bought it not running he jumped the timing belt getting on the hwy so she had some bent valves or something ticked like hell but I beat that thing for 50000ks like that it was gutless but she get u there it was ok on fuel like 18-20mpgs my buddy ran it low on oil and she blew ! got it started but it sounded like a lawnmowerbut she was a great tru and ya my next one was a 94 she was the same engine but the tranny worked a little different ! that was a great truck had 1.5 times the power as the first one but a little worse on fuel!! put 150000ks on that one and giving it to my bro cheap she needs bodywork but still drives the best out of all them!! now have a 93 22re w-56 the motor apperanty was rebuilt and bored out I kinda belive it as she runs good and don;t leak anything!! but it rattles around worse than the bent valve 3vz but she has better torque between 1500-3000 than either 3vz more power between 2500 -4500 then quits right there where the v6`s reved the autos to 5800-6000 they sing more than 22res but the 22re is a better 4x4 motor I think!! but also the 22re is stick the old engine and auto I took out was rediculasly slow when hot and she`d over heat at 60mph or above not too bad cold but the oil press is way better in the v6 and seem tighter so ya there great engines for what they do I never had a stick one but kinda wish I did the swap for the v6 cause the 4 ain;t any better on back hwys b ut it is better on the trails for fuel so ya I think they were good for stock power but I think the 22re is better for upgrades but not really either !! the newer 3rz sounds kool for that but I love old skool!!
First things first, dont type posts with the whole can of chew in your mouth. Second the 3vz's low end makes the 22re's low end look stupid. Thats its best quality low end torque. That and its 40 ish more hp. Im all for bashing its longevity if you were unfortunate enough to have one with HG issues and avoided the dealer recall to replace head gaskets for free. But you cant go saying its weaker power wise.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:49 PM

I think the previous owner of my 3vz wasn't so kind to it. The head gasket has been done by toyota according to maintenance history. After owning the truck for a few months I heard a loud noise after accelerating onto the highway, I thought it was the exhaust but I believe it spun a bearing. Probably due to previous owner neglecting oil changes and as soon as I do an oil change it frees up sludge and spins a bearing.
Time for a 5vz after looking at 3vz rebuild and replacement costs, better mpg's, and better power. Plan on keeping the thing for a while.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:49 PM

OK thatguy1295
sorry I didn't think this was a site that grammer was important !! ya just seen that it was all run together but ya ?
Second get in my 94 v6 auto I'll get in my 93 22re 5 speed and kick your ass!!! the 3vz runs fine too!!!
I do understand that the 5 speed might be the only thing that makes the 22re faster !! but that 3vz had to rev to the sky to keep speed on hills that the 22re does fine at lower revs !! I think that the 3vz is a tighter built motor I don't trust the 22re as much!!!
ya the 3vz auto did have a very nice 0-30k launch that is better then the 22re but in 1st at idle that little 4 banger pulls so ya that all I'm saying that the powerbands on the 22re are more suitable for trail riding!!!

have a nice day!

I think if taken care of!.. all engines Toyota made are great they just like fresh oil and kept tuned up !

ps I beat the crap outta my last trucks haven't had my 22re truck out where I had my 3vz trucks so time will tell!

Last edited by Snortin Nortin; 12-23-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:02 PM

i've had my 91 yota with the 3vze and 5 spd for 3 and a half years, other than the piston rings going out at 260k and other normal wear and tear replacements it's been a pretty good truck, i have a 6" lift and 33X12.50 AT's on it. i have my timing advanced and so i actually have enough power for anything i need, but the gas mileage isn't my favorite at about 18 highway, but i have no problem getting up in speed, i've gotten it to go over 100 before with the gas pedal mashed, goin down hill with a tail wind of course
Old 12-23-2012, 08:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OK thatguy1295
sorry I didn't think this was a site that grammer was important !! ya just seen that it was all run together but ya ?
Second get in my 94 v6 auto I'll get in my 93 22re 5 speed and kick your ass!!! the 3vz runs fine too!!!
I do understand that the 5 speed might be the only thing that makes the 22re faster !! but that 3vz had to rev to the sky to keep speed on hills that the 22re does fine at lower revs !! I think that the 3vz is a tighter built motor I don't trust the 22re as much!!!
ya the 3vz auto did have a very nice 0-30k launch that is better then the 22re but in 1st at idle that little 4 banger pulls so ya that all I'm saying that the powerbands on the 22re are more suitable for trail riding!!!
I dont care about grammar, just clarity. Gotta know what it is yo say in g.

Far as trail rigs go mines a 3vz, power band is same as 22re with more torque and power at all rpms. Dont think there was ever a time I was out wheeling were I said to myself gee I wish I had less power. Or ever thought about doin a 22re swap. And yes the 3vz auto trans is a power murderer.
Far as ass kicking goes my 89 3.0 5speed went up against lots of 22re trucks and always pulled away. Raced it against a 22re with auto trans and it was ridiculous, he didn't have a chance.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:45 PM

Ya I agree with that for sure!! the tired 22re auto I took outta the truck was really slow it could not even go past 100 (kilometers) an hour without a hill and overheating lol!!
The motor in my new runner was suposedly rebuilt it works great but no better gas milage than my 3vz runners ! I was lucky enough with my last truck to not have headgasket issues !!
I can't say that I thought these were bad engines wish I did the 5 speed swap on my 3vz truck it would probably be better on gas then this 22re !!
It was prob just the auto but I like the powerband better on the 22re but it runs outta steam after 4500 pretty quick were the 3vz pulled to the redline!!

just a quick question though I have read in my chilton manual that there was a 3vz-FE??? what did that come in ? I have never seen one but they have 180 horse that would be nice ! was it twin cam or just higher compression ?