Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What to look for on older 3VZE's

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for on older 3VZE's

I have been looking at a few 3rd Gen pickups with the 3VZE in them and just want to know what I should look for on this engine to maybe get an idea that it's still "healthy", short of testing compression, which I probably can't do in some guys driveway when it's 30 degrees out, after work in the dark.

What can I check relatively quick, what are some trouble spots?

I assume pop the radiator and make sure the coolant is clean and same with the oil, to make sure the HG is good, but is there anything else that I should look for on it that would be quickly noticed?

Also, I have been looking at trucks with this engine, because I didn't want a 4cyl, but now I am reading that this V6 isn't much of a gain over the 22re.

I know the 22re is a great motor, but I just like the idea of having a V6 in a truck, but not if all I'm gonna get is less mileage. Plus I tow a boat, so I'd like some extra power.

Anybody know the HP and Torque specs for both? How much difference is there really between them?

I think these are the best trucks ever built, so I would like to try and find a decent one that I can get at least another 30-50K more out of.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I will not buy another truck with a 3.slo, unless I had a 3.4 to put in it. I vote 22re or newer. EDIT: I just saw you tow a boat, get a truck with a 3.4. Do not tow with a 3VZE unless you take it real easy and drive slow. Read this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...perate-123651/

If you are looking at vehicles at night take a good flash light with you.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-26-2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend towed a 19 foot bayliner every weekend in the summer for 5 years with his 3VZE in his 94 T-100 & never had a problem. I think a lot of it comes down to common sense & maintenance. Everyone talks very badly about the 3VZE, with that said there sure are a lot of them still on the road.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 AM

Does anybody know off hand the HP and Torque difference between the 22re and the 3VZE?

I know people say there isn't that much difference, but I have driven both, both with a 5spd and I can definitely feel a difference, so I know towing my boat with the 3.0 would be better.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM

People belittle the 3.0 motor alot but I hade a 22re in a regular cab 4wd truck (which I loved) and then replaced it with the 3.o in a 2nd gen. 4runner, much heavier vehicle. Around town the 22re felt peppier but I doubt that there was much difference. Now going up the mountain passes the 3.0 way out performs the 22re. Maybe it is the gas mileage difference that turns some people off. I have towed some with it and it wasn't a speed deamon but it towed just fine. The biggest downfall is that you may have a tendency to warp brake rotors if they are not high quality rotors. The 3.4 hands down is a much better motor performance wise if your looking for speed. but otherwise it is very similar to the 3.0. Both are great motors. With either one , check to see if the timeing belt has been changed and the valves have been adjusted. Both are critical to the longevity of the motor and are pricey to have done. Now having said all that, you can get a late model 95 refered to as 95.5 that has the 3.4 in it. Probably not much difference in price with the earlier 3.4's compared to 3.0's but if you go to rebuild the motor the 3.4 will cost twice as much to have rebuilt. Something to keep in mind. Oh and that 3.0 in my 4runner has 250,000 miles on it. I burnt an exhaust valve so had a valve job done at 185,000 miles. The motor is still going strong.

Last edited by dewiseman; 02-26-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added note
Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

the 3vz has around 150-160 horse power and the 22re has around 115...i dont know the torque specs though so you can just look it up.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

3.0 HP is about 150 at the crank, don't know about the 22re but I'd guess its around 140 or a little less. The problem with the 3.0 is the HG can't handle too much heat and towing really stresses the cooling system.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:25 AM

I have towed a 19ft boat for 2 years with my 3VZE and had no problems, and that is with an Automatic too. Total weight between boat and trailer is like 3,000lbs.

My 3VZE has almost 200K on it. I think that may have been an isoltaed incident in that attached thread, seems like he had the same thing happen twice, and on an odd cylinder for a 3VZE HG to blow at.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mmcpeck
... I think that may have been an isoltaed incident in that attached thread, seems like he had the same thing happen twice, and on an odd cylinder for a 3VZE HG to blow at.
Hang around these boards for another 6 years and you'll see like I have, a HG problem with the 3VZE is far from isolated.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
22RE horsepower 116@4800 torque 140@2800
3VZE horsepower 150@4800 torque 180@3400

I've towed a boat that weighs 3000 lbs with the trailer often in the summer just fine.
I disable overdrive and run 60-65 mph.

My engine and auto tranny are in good shape and I change those fluids on occasion.
It takes awhile to get to speed and to slow down but it works just fine.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:40 AM

hey the 22re has about 115 hp and the 3vz has 150 but check out lcengineering.com, they make some 22re's that get more than the 3vz lol
Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
there is nothing wrong with the 3vze...
it does just fine when properly maintained...
yes, they have head gasket problems, but is it really worth it to dump 3-4K into a "new" used motor to get a little bit more power???

not by my book and especially not with my financial situation...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Hang around these boards for another 6 years and you'll see like I have, a HG problem with the 3VZE is far from isolated.

I wasn't saying that the HG problems with the 3VZE were isolated, I was saying that towing causing it might be isolated to that guy.

I have blow HG's on 2 3VZE's and neither time was it while I was towing. Once it was just starting it up that blew it.

I don't know Yoter90, I guess it's personal preference, but I think the 3VZE gets a bad rap, especially when it's being compared to the 22RE, which we all know is a crazy bullet proof engine. I'd say the 3VZE is almost bullet proof except for the HG's. Yeah it isn't the most ballsy V6, but all of the ones I've had have gone well over 200K, the one I have now has 199K on it and I feel like it's brand new.

To be honest I didn't realize that the 22RE put out that kind of torque at 2800, that's not too bad. I'd still rather have the 3VZE in my truck though.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by space-junk
there is nothing wrong with the 3vze...
it does just fine when properly maintained.....
Finding a well maintained used vehicle can be hard.

I just hate to see another person on here get a truck payment they have to make and a truck they can't drive because of a blown HG and they can't afford to fix or they do fix it and it turns around and blows again. But hey he's now been warned, so if all you guys say a 3VZE is great for towing its on your hands not mine. I'm out of here.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-26-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Come on give us a break. No one said it's great for towing but it works fine.

A 3.4 won't be great for towing either.

A 3/4 ton with a diesel is great for towing, and I use one on occasion.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM

I really appreciate all of the responsese guys, and all the insight.

But can somebody give me some hints as to what to be on the lookout for when looking at a used 3VZE? Most of the ones I've seen have higher mileage, like 150K+, but that doesn't bother me if it's still in decent shape.

Just wanted to see if there is anything I could look at to tell what kind of shape it's in, on top of driving it of course.

Also, if I write down the VIN can I call any Toyota dealer to see if the HG's have ever been replaced by them, possibly under that old HG Campaign?

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:45 PM

I would say to just look for the basics. Does it smoke, leak or make odd noises? How does the oil look? check the coolant for signs of corrosion, What over all condition is the truck in? That can tell you a lot, if the outside & inside is all beat up then the engine probably wasn't treated much better IMO. See how it starts when cold, does it have a high idle & then drop to the normal 800-100 rpm's after it warms up? Automatic, how does it shift? is the fluid clean? Manual, does the clutch feel good?

I picked up my truck for the following reasons, it was very clean in & out, no rust, new tires, brakes & transmission, it was a one owner vehicle & because of Toyota's reputation. I also new that it needed a full tune up, I had to trouble shoot & fix the high idle & replace a leaky rear axle seal. I knew these things before I bought it because I looked it over well, checked the fluids, asked questions, etc.

One has to remember that the 3VZE is a small truck engine & because of the potential head gasket issue it should be driven like a small truck & not a race car or a heavy duty tow vehicle. I think it was rated at a 3,500lb tow rating. If I were to tow such a load on a regular basis then I would install a good trans cooler (automatic) & perhaps an additional electric pusher fan if the temperature ran warm. The 3VZE has a factory oil cooler though I'm not sure how effective it is? I'm sure it helps though. Like the other poster said, we are comparing this engine to the 22R which is known to run forever.
With all of the negative about the 3VZE I would like to think that it is at least as good if not better than a comparable American engine of the same year.

Toyota should be able to help you on the head gasket recall info with the VIN number.

Good luck to you.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Has anybody ever had the same truck with both engines? I'm sure many of you have.

Like a pickup with both the 3VZE and the 22RE, and can report the true difference felt between them.

I was looking at a '93 Xtra Cab pickup with the 22RE, the thing was immaculate inside and just had some rust on the wheel wells of the bed, which is totally normal, 176K. I didn't get a chance to drive it yet, but I just feel like it's gonna leave me wanting more.

I had a '94 Nissan Hardody with the 2.4L 4 cyl and it was a gutless pig, so I am weary of getting another 4cyl..
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
150,xxx is just breakin in on the 3vze I turned 247,000 today and it's still runnin on the stock clutch you just like everyone has said remember it is a temper mental motor. 3.0 Treat it like a lady and it will love you long time.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mmcpeck
Has anybody ever had the same truck with both engines? I'm sure many of you have.

Like a pickup with both the 3VZE and the 22RE, and can report the true difference felt between them.

I was looking at a '93 Xtra Cab pickup with the 22RE, the thing was immaculate inside and just had some rust on the wheel wells of the bed, which is totally normal, 176K. I didn't get a chance to drive it yet, but I just feel like it's gonna leave me wanting more.

I had a '94 Nissan Hardody with the 2.4L 4 cyl and it was a gutless pig, so I am weary of getting another 4cyl..
I do
1990 4runner 3.0 i.f.s.
1993 4runner 22re s.a.s.
both 5 speeds
both 35 x 12.5's
both 5.29's
all things being equal there is almost no difference on the road
fuel mileage advantage go's to the 22re
off road hands down the 22re and s.a.s.
22re has many more options for building a 150 hp very reasonably vs any kind of real noticeable hp to $ for the 3.0

Quick Reply: What to look for on older 3VZE's