Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

what emissions crap can i take off my 93 22re and how do i do it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where I live, there are no emissions inspections, tests, visual inspections, questions, comments or concerns over ANY emissions equipment. They don't ask, they don't care. I'll walk into MVD with all of my removed emissions equipment in a wheelbarrow, tell them I removed it and ask for my registration. Guess what they'll do? Give me my registration. Nobody gets fined, nobody goes to prison, nobody cares. I keep having to repeat myself here, but I don't live in California and not everybody has to follow California rules. Nobody cares if a vehicle has or doesn't have emissions equipment here. It won't stop you from selling a car unless the person buying it is bringing it to California. People here put license plates on quads and golf carts and drive them around the streets perfectly legal with not even the slightest hint of any emissions equipment. It's not necessary WHERE I LIVE.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Where I live, there are no emissions inspections, tests, visual inspections, questions, comments or concerns over ANY emissions equipment. They don't ask, they don't care. I'll walk into MVD with all of my removed emissions equipment in a wheelbarrow, tell them I removed it and ask for my registration. Guess what they'll do? Give me my registration. Nobody gets fined, nobody goes to prison, nobody cares. I keep having to repeat myself here, but I don't live in California and not everybody has to follow California rules. Nobody cares if a vehicle has or doesn't have emissions equipment here. It won't stop you from selling a car unless the person buying it is bringing it to California. People here put license plates on quads and golf carts and drive them around the streets perfectly legal with not even the slightest hint of any emissions equipment. It's not necessary WHERE I LIVE.
I see where you're coming from; in Florida here, that's pretty much how it is. You should see some of the monstrocities drving around here... I can garantee that all of these red-necks with their GINORMOUS big lifted trucks have no emmision equpiment on them, yet they have a tag and drive around daily, and the only people that may bother them is DOT if they see their head lights aren't aimed down after lifting the truck 6 foot higher

You probably wouldn't have to much to worry about selling to truck to the average joe across the street, but you may not get far trying to trade it in at a dealership... I highly doubt they'd take it for a trade, simple because of the fact that it WOULD BE illegal for them to re-sell it. If they can't make money off of it, why would they give you money for it?

Point being, if it's working fine, I don't see the need to perposely go in there just to remove it; that's just a waste of time on your part, because you more than likely will not see any benifets from doing so. Now if some emmision equipment has malfuctioned, they can be rather expensive to replace. Obviously the correct thing to do WOULD be to just replace it with new parts, but this is often costly to do, so most will go the route of just doing away with it because of that. Personally, all of my emmsion equpiment works great, even with 296k miles on all of it. But I've just got the motor out for a rebuild, and it's less for me to have to deal with putting back on, less clutter in the motor (which is one of your points), and also the fact that it's not too big of a deal around these parts, so that's kinda the only reason I'm doing away with it. BUT, I'm keeping all of the stuff, so later down the road, if for whatever reason I go to get rid of the truck (either to the average person OR to a dealership), I can reinstall it and put it back to factory.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-16-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
I see where you're coming from; in Florida here, that's pretty much how it is. You should see some of the monstrocities drving around here... I can garantee that all of these red-necks with their GINORMOUS big lifted trucks have no emmision equpiment on them, yet they have a tag and drive around daily, and the only people that may bother then is DOT if they see their head lights aren't aimed down after lifting the truck 6 foot higher

You probably wouldn't have to much to worry about selling to truck to the average joe across the street, but you may not get far trying to trade it in at a dealership... I highly doubt they'd take it for a trade, simple because of the fact that it WOULD BE illegal for them to re-sell it. If they can't make money off of it, why would they give you money for it?

Point being, if it's working fine, I don't see the need to perposely go in there just to remove it; that's just a wast of time on your part, because you more than likely will not see any benifets from doing so. Now if some emmision equipment has malfuctioned, they can be rather expensive to replace. Obviously the correct to do WOULD be to just replace it with new parts, but this is often costly to do, so most will go the route of just doing away with it because of that. Personally, all of my emmsion equpiment works great, even with 296k miles on all of it. But I've just got the motor out, and it's less for me to have to deal with putting back on, less clutter in the motor (which is one of your points), and alsot the fact that it's not too big of a deal around these parts, so that's kinda the only reason I'm doing away with it. BUT, I'm keeping all of the stuff, so later down the road, if for whatever reason I go to get rid of the truck (either to the average person OR to a dealership), I can reinstall it and put it back to factory.

Thank you. I can't remember ever trading a vehicle in that I messed with, but you're much better off selling your vehicle to a private party than trading it in to the dealer anyways. My 4runner has 232k hard miles on it and I had the entire top end of the motor apart and replaced the manifolds with headers. I didn't see a reason to put all of that crap back on and since it seems to run better without it I really didn't see the need to put it back on. If/when I sell my 4runner it's not going to matter to anybody I sell it to out here. I've bought and sold more vehicles than I can remember and I can't think of one time where someone asked me if the original emissions equipment was still hooked up. It's just not an issue.

Another funny thing I see is most of the boats out here have open headers, nothing even remotely close to emissions equipment, loud as can be and drink more gas than I can even afford and it's perfectly legal. They buy/sell/trade them all day long, dealers, private party, and nothing is ever said about emissions or anything on those.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is necessary where you live, per FEDERAL law. Whether the law is enforced or not by the local jurisdiction is another matter. Just because the cops don't enforce it, doesn't make it legal.
As for you not living in California, I am sort of glad you don't. If everyone acted like you and protested as vehemently as you do, saying "I don't care," we wouldn't have programs in place that can make those "illegal" vehicles like yours "legal".

What you're saying is analogous to:
A state's law says ">= 0.08% BAC (blood alcohol content) is the legal limit for driving while intoxicated".
A town within that state doesn't test BAC levels if they pull you over.
Therefore driving with BAC >= 0.08% in that town makes it legal to drive in such a condition within that state.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-16-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:10 PM

Another funny thing I see is most of the boats out here have open headers, nothing even remotely close to emissions equipment, loud as can be and drink more gas than I can even afford and it's perfectly legal. They buy/sell/trade them all day long, dealers, private party, and nothing is ever said about emissions or anything on those.
Boats and other recreational vehicles, not operated on highway, are covered under other statutes and regulations that bear little relevance to highway operated vehicles.

I mean, really, does everyone drive a boat to work and home five days a week? ... or an ATC / ATV (quad, dune buggy, etc.)?

They are given more leniency since they are "recreational" and not operated "continuously" throughout the year.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-16-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian

I mean, really, does everyone drive a boat to work and home five days a week? ... or an ATC / ATV (quad, dune buggy, etc.)?

They are given more leniency since they are "recreational" and not operated "continuously" throughout the year.
Haha, you OBVIOUSLY don't know this area so please, let it go already. It's been beat to death, don't you think? I don't want to argue a point you will NEVER understand. I don't have emissions equipment on my vehicle. Deal with it. There are hundreds, maybe even thousands of people on this site that also don't have emissions equipment. Go yell at them. I'm done with this POINTLESS topic.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM

As for you not living in California, I am sort of glad you don't. If everyone acted like you and protested as vehemently as you do, saying "I don't care," we wouldn't have programs in place that can make those "illegal" vehicles like yours "legal".

OMG my vehicle is not "illegal" lol. Jesus man, are you really mad about this? Do you really think I'm going to get in trouble over this? Do you do this to everybody on here that tells you they removed their EGR?? Take your own advice and:

Time to get over it... deep breaths... have a lollipop.
There, feel better?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM

... I'm done with this POINTLESS topic.
I think you said that before, and then chose to post more, no?

I mean, you said:
Dude, it's over. Drop it and move on and when you tell me to stop with the "personal attacks" and in the same sentence you insult me, that makes you a HYPOCRITE. Not to mention the fact that you don't say anything about the personal attacks that were thrown my way, but those are ok, right? Thanks for bringing a dead topic back up. I don't care to argue with you about it since I will be the bad guy. Just drop it already. Nobody(especially me)cares anymore.

What makes the topic "pointless" is your unwillingness to recognize there ARE laws that forbid you doing what you say you do.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-16-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:25 PM

I think you said that before, and then chose to post more, no?

I mean, you said:

What makes the topic "pointless" is you're unwillingness to recognize there ARE laws that forbid you doing what you say you do.

And you keep bringing it back up??? Why????

Time to get over it... deep breaths... have a lollipop.
There, feel better?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:29 PM

And you keep bringing it back up??? Why????
... apparently, the deep breaths and lollipops didn't help you get over it.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:30 PM

What makes the topic "pointless" is your unwillingness to recognize there ARE laws that forbid you doing what you say you do.
Dude, if I have to repeat myself one more time I'm going to pop.

IN MY CITY I DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN EMISSIONS EQUIPPED VEHICLE TO LEGALLY DRIVE ON THE ROAD. Yes, in other cities you DO have to have emissions equipped vehicles. Yes, there are laws that say you need them. My city tells me it's perfectly legal to drive my vehicle. Are you understanding this???????? Read it again if you don't because I'm pretty sure I made it pretty damn clear.

What do you have against horses anyways?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:34 PM

In many regards, I'm an idiot and ignorant in many ways. I won't deny that at all.

Having had to deal with emissions in many states, federal regulations, and such during my tenure building recreational vehicles as well as ANSI, ASTM and other obscure "recommendations" and implied "requirements" for "internal combustion engines" installed in said vehicles... I've learned I like pickles.

What's that mean, you ask?

How you interpret things is most likely NOT what was meant when the laws were written.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Dude, if I have to repeat myself one more time I'm going to pop.

IN MY CITY I DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN EMISSIONS EQUIPPED VEHICLE TO LEGALLY DRIVE ON THE ROAD. Yes, in other cities you DO have to have emissions equipped vehicles. Yes, there are laws that say you need them. My city tells me it's perfectly legal to drive my vehicle. Are you understanding this???????? Read it again if you don't because I'm pretty sure I made it pretty damn clear.

What do you have against horses anyways?
Well, I suppose you're going to have to
Federal law says you can't do it. Federal law says all vehicles are emissions equipped and all vehicles have to comply.
so please already or admit you're the one beating the dead (and buried for that matter) horse.

Unless your "State" has adopted laws overriding Federal law, your 'City' has no jurisdiction. And for your "State" to do so, its laws would have to be more strict than Federal law.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-16-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:39 PM

Unless your "State" has adopted laws overriding Federal law, your 'City' has no jurisdiction. And for your "State" to do so, its laws would have to be more strict than Federal law.
And this is why "states" can choose "California" requirements or "Federal" requirements....
Old 05-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even though I said I wouldn't be back to this thread I just couldn't help it. This guy is out of his mind! He is trying to justify removing emissions & selling vehicles without emissions by comparing them to boats! Are you kidding me? You know, boats don't have air cleaners either so does that mean we can all take them off of our vehicles? Just for your info the new boats are going to have emissions devices on them including catalytic converters. Regardless of what people are doing to diesels, boats, aircraft, lawn mowers, etc.... You are still wrong & will NEVER be able to justify your actions or statements. Talk about others bringing this subject back up? No guy it's YOU! Others just can't help but to comment on your incorrect statements.

Just to make things clear one more time, If you want to delete your emissions that is your choice & even though it is illegal it's your vehicle so you can do as you wish. Just please don't listen to this guys advice as he will end up getting you in loads of trouble with his incorrect advice & theories.

Marine catalytic converter http://www.boatingmag.com/article.as...8&print_page=y

Last edited by turborich; 05-16-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:08 PM

There is no reason to 'attack' anyone for the simple fact that they live in an area that does not do emissions test. However, the fact they live in an area that doesn't do emissions tests does not excuse them from complying with the law, or otherwise condone or accept their actions.

And I'll leave it at that for now.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
justin, if i was being stupid, and you asked me if i was retarded, i wouldnt get pissed. id laugh. i MEANT you were acting childish. if you took it that i personally attacked you, i apologize. that wasnt my intention. and my point with the smog basically boils down to this: if everyone believes the same thing you do, then what are we gonna be breathing in 50 years? what are our children gonna be breathing when they have children? even if my area didnt have smog requirements, i still would leave the emissions system alone. nor would i try to sell a vehicle to someone and not tell them about the emissions system being gone. even if your area doesnt comply with the laws, if u sold a car with no emissions equipment to someone, and they found out, they could take u for a legal ride. im not going to post in this anymore. remember i wasnt trying to personally attack you. if it comes off that way, i apologize.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Whoa !! I'm Getting me some popcorn.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RMA
Whoa !! I'm Getting me some popcorn.
**bleeder pokes RMA - "SHHHHH!"

Old 05-16-2009, 06:30 PM

[youtube]-scGHwJO0IY[/youtube]

Quick Reply: what emissions crap can i take off my 93 22re and how do i do it?