Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

want to install some kill switches on my 91

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LOL, if a thief wants your truck, they'll get it. Even with kill switches, especially since everyone seems to be giving away what they're 'killing.' Threads like these aid the thieves, not the truck.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well as i know if they want it they will get it but i have nothing on my truck lol its stock as hell. kinda low on money by the way so i cant afford a full blow alarm system. sofar it seems like you guys think its not worth it to have a kill switch?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:19 AM

Or just get a little flashing LED mounted on your dash or door to make it look like you got an alarm.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
lets be obvious here...

pull a couple of the spark plug wires...

like was posted above, if a theif wants your truck, and hes skilled enough, hes getting it...

think about it... if he really wants your truck, he'd break in, break the steering lock, put it in neutral and roll it down the damn street, and if perchance it couldnt start, there would be a car dolly hooked up to a truck around the corner... roll that sucker up there, strap down the wheels temporarily, and hightail it to a gas station where you can strap it down securely...

thats your whole truck gone in 5 mins, no matter how many kill switches you have...

gotta love low budget repo companies and their low budget tricks...
Old 01-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay... how about wire the seatbelt to an ignition coil- shock 'em when they try to start it?
... have kryptonite cables through the u-joints and around the frame.
... tilt switches tied to GPS locators
... duct tape your wife ....
Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM

On the starter there are 2 points where wires tie in. One is a stud with a nut that has a main power wire, the other is a blade that you plug a wire in to. Cut the wire that ties into the blade, extend some wire off of that, and tie it in to a switch, very simple.

And for the red cut off thing above, dont get the US General (Harbor Freight) they suck, I hate mine and am picking up the Hella version this Friday.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Okay... how about wire the seatbelt to an ignition coil- shock 'em when they try to start it?
... have kryptonite cables through the u-joints and around the frame.
... tilt switches tied to GPS locators
... duct tape your wife ....
i have a feeling that last one has more to do with sound supressant rather than a killswitch... but still the best idea ive heard yet...
Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 PM

thanks travisfab! thats what i was looking for. i think i might try that out, i can use any old switch right? like a little toggle switch?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
use a light switch, that would be classy
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
thanks travisfab! thats what i was looking for. i think i might try that out, i can use any old switch right? like a little toggle switch?
Yeah, a toggle switch will work. Your starter is going to pull some amps, so dont get a cheapo one. If you want to be sure not to blow the switch, either wire in a relay, fuse, or breaker.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM

ok sounds good thanks guys. if i use a fuse what fuse should i use? i will try and get a pic of the toggle i have
Old 01-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

if a guy was going to interupt a wire to the coil on a 90 4runner to slow an unwanted driver, what would be best one?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Any car thief would know to jump +12v to the coil, which would negate any kill switch on the supply wire, so that's not a great choice imo. There are ideas on a number of possible wires to interrupt upthread. Fuel pump is a good one, but you have to use good heavy gauge wire and make good connections so you don't lower the volts making it to the pump.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by sb5walker
Any car thief would know to jump +12v to the coil, which would negate any kill switch on the supply wire, so that's not a great choice imo. There are ideas on a number of possible wires to interrupt upthread. Fuel pump is a good one, but you have to use good heavy gauge wire and make good connections so you don't lower the volts making it to the pump.
ok, thanks, i have heard alot of people interupting the starter, but that is easy to get around with a 5 speed trans. i was just thinking of something different, painfully easy just enough to slow someones attemts on taking my rig. fuel sounds good to. thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alfio
please don't turn this forum into one of those boards where the rate of smartass comments to useful comments is like 100/1

re: kill switch

i've done this a few different ways. on toyotas the coil cable is the easiest to install and conceal. basically pick it out of the harness and lead it back into the cab, have it go through a switch installed somewhere in the cab (be creative) and then back to the splice. never had a truck wander off with this system though obviously it's not 100% (nothing is, not even sleeping in the cab with a 12 gauge).

i vote sleeping in the cab fully armed. 12ga, and at least a sidearm. ie .45 1911
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 PM

any good thief has these tools a small low light flashlight a test wire with led a sctew driver a vive grips " a slapper " can of freon . these are "the basics " they know after they pop the ign lock to get the ign hot step 1
step 2 engage the starter from the popped switch if it does not start step 3 look like crazy for hidden switches under THE DASH DUMBASS LAST PLACE TO PUT THAT SWITCH !!!
cigarette lighter push it in activate the starter fuel pump by pass switch never under the dash thats the first place they look
Old 01-17-2010, 01:20 PM

yeah i have decided doing the starter kill switch would be dumb because you can push start my truck so easy that it would stop them really? stumped on what to do?
Old 01-17-2010, 03:28 PM

im pretty good with electronics this is what i have on my truck i have a killswitch tied into the fuel pump behind the seat at the very back of the cab under the carpet mount it there
no if you want to get fancy if they find that switch you add two of the same switches this will give you a combination and if the switches are not in a cartain sequence it aint starting

or you could get a starter relay and run it through the cigarette lighter to create a circut so it will only start if the lighter is pushed in i have that on my vw bug you have to think like a thief most thieves know where to look for kill switches and carry spare coil wires
Old 01-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i say wrap the airline cable through the U-Joints and to the frame..or through the wheels?

i'm getting an alarm and remote start for $350, after that i'm gonna get creative and see what i can do other than electronics
Old 01-17-2010, 04:07 PM

the best and easiest is the fuel pump cut off. You can hide the toggle anywhere. In my old '84 Toy 4x4, I installed my switch right on the floor board between the seat and the door. I had carpet in my truck, so it covered/hid the switch. As soon as you sat down, you reach down and flip it....any passengers would think nothing of it, and the carpet muffled the click sound of the switch.
Flip the switch, the pump isn't going to pump, and only the gas left in the lines is going to used. Your truck might travel 5 ft....then it's d-e-a-d.

Takes 'bout 30 minutes to wire.

Last edited by a4runnerfreak; 01-17-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Quick Reply: want to install some kill switches on my 91