Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

TPS why is this happening

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You might also have some issues in the wiring harness. You can both test the TPS at it's connector but also at the ECU connector:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...roubleshooting

Could be there is a short between some of the wires or some wires that are broken/open, that when the TPS is plugged in, give erroneous readings to the ECU. As noted on the page above, you can have a TPS that passes all the resistance tests in isolation, but if you plug it into a defective harness, the ECU sees garbage, and as the saying goes, "garbage in, garbage out".
Old 10-05-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, I believe I got it. I replaced the screws on the TPS. But first I checked the timing one more time. It was slightly off after I applied the jumper (E1 - T). To get it set perfect. Disconnected the jumper and the idle went a little high. Loosened the screws on the TPS and got it to idle ppppppperfectly. Man was I impressed with myself. Tomorrow will be it's true test. I'll start it after an over night cool down (cold start) believe me, my fingers are crossed. But at least for an hour tonight it ran great tonight. Even when I turned on the AC. Logo Live My Toyota. PS. Knock on wood for me!! I will let everyone know the outcome tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
set idle no jumper, apply jumper and SHOULD idle down. this is a good thing, your computer see's idle at the tps and prepares itself to set base timing for some reason by idling down and retarding timing. set to under-hood value. pull the jumper and listen for idle-up, and watch timing advance, again, a good thing. i wish i knew why these things have to have a jumper wire in place to set a timing value that is not used while actually driving
Old 10-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by 92dlxman
set idle no jumper, apply jumper and SHOULD idle down. this is a good thing, your computer see's idle at the tps and prepares itself to set base timing for some reason by idling down and retarding timing. set to under-hood value. pull the jumper and listen for idle-up, and watch timing advance, again, a good thing. i wish i knew why these things have to have a jumper wire in place to set a timing value that is not used while actually driving
I believe you need to bypass the computer which is controlling the timing advance and other variables, which allows you to adjust things from a baseline zero. You wouldn't try to find the problem in calculation starting half way through a problem, gotta go back to the beginning.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:16 PM

sctoy, i like that answer
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by paintthetown
Update, today I installed a oil pressure gauge. Haven't touched the truck in 6 days. Went to start it and felt like I barley turned the key and it started right up. Like the good old days. Got around to the front of the engine and my TPS was unplugged. I plugged it back in and it wanted to stall right away. Should I adjust it? Really, why do I need this? It runs better with it off! What is the purpose of the TPS? Or is it on the truck just to aggravate me?? I have done all the test everyone has asked, it's got to be the TPS. BTW the TPS is brand new from the dealer.
Your power will suck without the TPS connected. It works in harmony with other sensors to tell the ECU what's happening with the engine & keep mixture, etc. proper.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
TPS adjust

Hey Paint.
Not sure if you got it fixed, but if you can access a real FSM (think there's several links around here), at the front of each engine type section there is a troubleshooting table with symptoms and what to do.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It ended up being 3 things.
1 slight TPS (thank u crawler)
2 plastic air tube cracked (couldn't see it till I took it off)
3 the AC idle up (vsv) was bad
Flushed out all the coolent and installed Toyota red ($30 for a gallon WOW)
Installed a new thermostat, drilled a small hole in it (another crawler idea) loved that idea

I've owned this 4Runner for 17 months and it runs so sweet. Yah, I'm breaking my arm pating myself on the back, I'm also pating all you responders for your sugestions without Yota Tech where would I be.? I know things will come up, and I always know where to go for answers. (as I wipe my eye), love u guys! LOL
Old 10-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by paintthetown
I have no vacume leaks or fuel leaks
You lyin' b@st@rd~