Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Timing!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well i decided to kill the lights and make sure i wasn't jumping fire anywhere (for some reason my truck loves to eat plug wires..i go through a set in about 5000 miles?!?!?!?)and it's jumping from the plug wire to the outside of the spark plug..and the boots and ends are on there really good...

other than that..the truck still acts like it has a vacuum leak..and i can't find the motha fricka..im gettin new plugs and wires tomorrow..and while I'm at it I'm gonna get som carb cleaner lol

and it even sounds like i can hear a vacuum leak..sounds like it's coming from the front of the motor, off to the intake side though

i'll report back tomorrow!..if i get finished with my take home Comp I final lol
Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Intake manifold gasket? Just for s and giggles, take the hose off the PCV valve and plug it. If you havent tried that yet.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:09 AM

what would that do? lol

i'll try it though! LOL hell i'd try anything guys

and i was kinda thinkin intake manifold gasket as well..im waiting to go to the parts store right now so i can get some plugs, wires, and some carb cleaner to check for leaks..or starting fluid..whichever is cheaper lol
Old 12-16-2009, 06:09 PM

pulling the pvc valve will tell you one of two things, if the idle changes, then you either have a vacuum leak at the valve cover gasket or get this, vacuum leak at the oil pan. which is what one of my problems is Very much over looked area for a vacuum leak.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 PM

oh ok that makes sense now LOL!!

oh dang...i never thought about a vacuum leak at the pan..or the VC gasket..damn LOL!!
Old 12-18-2009, 05:11 AM

that's what I here for.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:15 PM

nice LOL

i still haven't been able to get a battery for it to start it, everytime i get the chance my parents are sleeping..or have company over and they don't want my truck to be running because it's loud LOL

maybe tomorrow
Old 12-18-2009, 08:48 PM

Location: I live in Red Bluff ca. Right by the Sacramento river
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
pulling the pvc valve will tell you one of two things, if the idle changes, then you either have a vacuum leak at the valve cover gasket or get this, vacuum leak at the oil pan. which is what one of my problems is Very much over looked area for a vacuum leak.
So If you pull the pcv valve and your idle changes, you have a vac leak at the valve cover, or oil pan? Wtf?? My truck has no leaks whatsoever, and if I pull my pcv valve off, my truck dies. Maybe you are mislead?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by 81redbluffyota
So If you pull the pcv valve and your idle changes, you have a vac leak at the valve cover, or oil pan? Wtf?? My truck has no leaks whatsoever, and if I pull my pcv valve off, my truck dies. Maybe you are mislead?

LMAO, you got to plug the hole, otherwise by pulling the pcv valve you create a HUGE vacuum leak. Remove hose from pcv valve, plug the hose, start the truck. if the idle is lower or too low you can't even get it to run then you know there is a vacuum leak in either the valve cover gasket or oil pan. In Camo's case he might have to raise the idle a bit before he pulls the pcv since his isn't running to begin with. There is no real way to tell other than replacing the valve cover gasket and see if the problem goes away. If you can't hear the leak in the oil pan like I can on mine, its right up front by the oil pump on mine. So I got lucky. Your luck the idle will change Camo and will take a week to find out if its the cover or pan. lol
Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM

well well well...i replaced the plug wires because of the arcing on the #3 boot...and it actually helped a LITTLE..not a lot but a little lol

i know for SURE that i have an oil leak at i'm guessing the timing cover (not sure because it's got oil all over it lol..it doesnt leak alot..but it does leak..i'm going to pressure wash it and see where it's actually leaking from) would that cause my vacuum leak?

i can hear a sucking from the front of the motor, seems like it's more to the intake side, but it could possible be the VC gasket i guess lol. i looked at the VC gasket when i had the VC off and it looked fine?? i mean hell it only has about 3500 miles on it or so.

i did pull the PCV and it didnt change a thing....even if i left the valve unplugged and the hole in the VC open, that was at about 2200rpms, now if i dropped it down to around 1100 or so then the truck would sputter and die if i didnt plug the PCV.

am i supposed to plug the valve itself and the VC hole?? lol

*EDIT*nevermind i re-read your post and i get it now...i have to plug the PCV hose...gotchya
Old 12-19-2009, 02:28 PM

your supposed to take the hose off the VC leave the pcv in the VC plug the hole left by the PCV in the hose. Or take the PCV out attached to the hose and plug the PCV with yur finger, but its just easier to do it with sticking something like a spark plug in the hose for the pcv. You dont have to plug the PCV if you leave it in the VC.

a leak in the TC can create a vacuum leak as well. its all the same open system, VC, TC and Oil Pan.

another thing I am thinking is the EGR, i wonder if the diaphragm in it is leaking as well. which would create a vacuum leak from he carb to header.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:50 AM

welll..i did the PCV check, and i got nothin..idle didnt change lol, didnt speed up, didnt get worse, didnt get better, didnt slow down.

omg i hope it's not the TC...LMAO..i really dont wanna have to take the head off.....

on a better note though guys, i did find a buyer for it!!!!!! although he's not wanting to give me my asking price, he's my brother in-law..

and he is willing to wait until i get my '92 4runner runnin as well!

he wants to give my $3000 for it, my asking price is $3500 as is (with this problem fixed of course LOL).

the reason i want $3500 is because of all the money and time and labor i've put into it, $1300 on a rebuild, rebuilt the carb, bought new tires, repainted it (although that was cheap lol) and i'm gonna be fixing the front end stuff before i sell it to him(i.e. cv's, ball joints, repack the bearings, and regrease the pass. side lock out hub because it whines when in 4wd and going more than about 10mph)

i would say $3500 is a reasonable price don't ya think guys!?!? i mean the truck is in great shape, no rust, no major dents or anything, the front end is the only thing i hate.

bought the truck for $3000 put over $1500 into it..i think i should atleast get about $3500...
Old 12-20-2009, 04:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Sounds like a good price!! congrats on the sale!!!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 AM

I don't thin you have to take head off for TC replacement. I didn't. Just got to be careful putting the cover back on and now messing up the HG thats goes between the head and TC like i did the first time I did it. But that was because it was dark out and couldn't see the gasket correctly lol.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:29 AM

well...i guess ya don't gotta take the head off...i forgot it's just one bolt inside the had that holds the timing cover lol

i took it out for a drive yesterday, runs like a striped ape, but idle's like snot....

and for some reason it doesn't idle down fast, like if I rev it up a bit, it takes a few seconds for it to come back down to idle??????

i wanna just buy a weber to see if it helps, then if it don't....i still got the weber LMAO
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 AM

which gaskets was i supposed to use on the base?

one goes between the carb and baseplate the other goes between the baseplate and intake manifold...which ones go where?..well i know the one in the middle goes between the carb and baseplate..but idk about the others..

i never thought about it but i guess i could have the wrong gasket on there?
Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"

and for some reason it doesn't idle down fast, like if I rev it up a bit, it takes a few seconds for it to come back down to idle??????
Carbs have dashpots, right? Could it be fouled up? And I seem to recall that some dashpots have are connected to a vacuum hose, which might also slow down it's action..
Old 12-21-2009, 12:35 PM

no dashpot here??

i dont even know what it is actually..what it looks like or does lmao
Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 PM

i rolled it out of my garage a bit ago, noticed that my wire has broken off of my choke, i used my redneck side and put it back on there LOL.

and now it idles better, and comes down to idle a bit faster (??i didnt do anything but fix the wire?? LOL)

and you guys need to go to Dollar General, get some of their OVEN CLEANER/DE-GREASER, it's in a blue plastic bottle, it's THE BEST THING EVER TO CLEAN OIL AND SUCH OFF OF YOUR MOTOR!!! All i did was spray some onto my motor, let it sit for about 3 mins or so, took some cups of water and poured it on there and it took alllllllll of the oil, grease, and grime and everything off!! once again, THE BEST STUFF EVER FOR CLEANING!!!!! lol watch out what you put it on though, it might eat through some stuff idk hahaha

anyways back on topic LOL, i still think that my fuel cut solenoid has some problems hahaha i'm gonna try to get a new one next time i'm at the junkyard hopefully

still don't know which gasket i was supposed to use guys, i used the one on the top right that goes between the base and the manifold, but idk if i should of used the other one or not, i dont get the purpose of the 2 different gaskets lol
Old 12-21-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
well if you bought the kit through autozone or advance its a generic kit that has different stuff for different model carbs and years cali and canada and what not....so if it looked the same and it didnt cover up any holes you should be good....

Quick Reply: Timing!?!?!