Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Spindle Lubricator® for IFS axle shaft. PICTURES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Did anyone save those 2 pictures I took of my spindle lubricator? I changed ISP and they were on my old ISP space, which is now closed. I''d like to repost them back up. If you could just PM me, I will send you my email and send them pback to me. I will then post them to my ISP and edit the message to add them back in.
Hey, you found them, GREAT! I was just going to search for them on my HD.:bigclap:
Old 01-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f128/spindle-lubricator-ifs-axle-shaft-86-95-a-105523/
Old 01-29-2007, 04:36 PM

I'm a MDT also.

How did you like the master skills test this year? What are you going to get with your points? Well on the 31st that is.

On to the spindle packer.....
I just took and old nut(that was molested with a chisel) and welded it to a piece of exhaust tube. Next I welded on a cap from some flat stock. Finally I Drilled a hole and installed a grease zerk. Toyota sells one of these things through OTC but I don't have the number.

I grease the spindles every time I do a bearing pack and with the ones that I pack I have never had one come back. The bearings are nice but require even more attention. You don't want to use wheel bearing grease either, Moly grease is perfered.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by mudbutt
I'm a MDT also.

How did you like the master skills test this year? What are you going to get with your points? Well on the 31st that is.
Hello fellow MDT tech! Well, it can be tricky. And those questions which appear so easy, it makes you suspicious. And if you read into them too much, you can come up with more answers. But then you have to ask yourself, what is the question designer looking for and get back on track. I've been an MDT since 1996. I hate this test, I dread it every year. I'm so busy with other things, but I must do it. I tell myself, I just need to answer 2 questions a day and I'll have it done in plenty of time. Well, you get busy, work right till quitting time, next thing you know, its almost due and you have a little time left. I had cable internet hooked up, so it made it much easier doing it at home.

On to the spindle packer.....
I just took and old nut(that was molested with a chisel) and welded it to a piece of exhaust tube. Next I welded on a cap from some flat stock. Finally I Drilled a hole and installed a grease zerk. Toyota sells one of these things through OTC but I don't have the number.
Yes, I made ours long before they were available. Its been a piece of shop equipment ever since. Hey, I've seen plenty of those chiseled spindle nuts. As for what I'm doing with my points. I have saved them all for the last 2 years, so after the 31'st, I will have 600 pts. (have 400 now) Not sure what I'm going to buy. Will look around and probably burn through some of it. I have most of the stuff I liked already. Bought the wife the Emeril Ware cookset, got the dremel tool, Coleman BBQ grille, already got the Fluke 88 DVOM way back when they used to give those away.

Keep in touch!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Slick idea, thanks for sharing! Always good to have some pros around. :bigclap:
Old 03-04-2007, 05:33 PM

Hey, toy mdt tech, mr toytech, and mudbutt. I'm also a toyota tech just got master, and looked over the MDT test wow that looks looks like a lot of work. So are they the type of the questions you go with your first thought or do you have to read and reread the question to find the trick word that changes the answer. Thanks toyota mdt tech for the pics of the spindle lubricator, I'm going to make one for the shop.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Toytech
Hey, toy mdt tech, mr toytech, and mudbutt. I'm also a toyota tech just got master, and looked over the MDT test wow that looks looks like a lot of work. So are they the type of the questions you go with your first thought or do you have to read and reread the question to find the trick word that changes the answer. Thanks toyota mdt tech for the pics of the spindle lubricator, I'm going to make one for the shop.

LOL, well, here is what I have found. The more you read into it, the more answers you will find that could work. But just dont read into them too much. Its tough. I hate taking it. I became an MDT back in 96, and dred the arrival of the test ever since. But I do get 200 pts each year which came in handy. I saved them all up for 3 yrs and went on a shopping spree with Cabalea!
Old 10-09-2007, 07:58 PM

do you have to remove the rotor? what type of grease? regular axle grease or moly?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

this is what he said---->

I grease the spindles every time I do a bearing pack and with the ones that I pack I have never had one come back. The bearings are nice but require even more attention. You don't want to use wheel bearing grease either, Moly grease is perfered.
____
Originally Posted by jbyrdman
do you have to remove the rotor? what type of grease? regular axle grease or moly?
Old 10-29-2007, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Just lubed my spindles with a tool made like you suggested.

Worked great, thanks a lot!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM

Thanks MDT tech! I just built my own tool today, after all the parts it cost me around $10 for the pipe & cap - around $9 for the spindle nut (bought a new one from the local dealer) - about $10 for the quick steel (figured I'd try that instead of welding or brazing) - & about $4 for the grease zirks (box of five or so) ends up to around $34 for the tool. I'm going to try it out in the near future as it was 15 degrees Fahrenheit this morning & it was making that rubbing sound I've heard so much about.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:30 PM

Hey Toyota MDT Tech, thanks for the great info and advise. I made one of the spindle lubricators. I have a pretty loud humming noise coming from the right wheel (checked the wheel bearing & it looks OK). I've isolated it to occur only when the right hub (or both hubs) are locked out. Left hub lockout is OK, no noise. I was doing a brake job so decided to lub the spindle since I had everything apart. After I took the snap ring and washer off, I screwed the lubricator on and pumped grease for maybe 10-12 pumps (yes I filled the lubricator first with grease). The axle stayed pretty much in place and did not retract back into the spindle. I tried to push it back toward the center of the drivetrain, but it kept popping back in place. So I'm wondering if the grease really got to the right spot. It seems that I would have to take off one of the ball joint nuts to swing the spindle enough to fully push the axle out. Anyway I still have the noise. Almost sounds like a really low frequency base guitar sound. If you think I didn't get enough grease in the spindle, I can try again.

Last edited by 93Toyota PU; 01-22-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i want to make one of these ... the spindle nut anyone got a part number?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by bigt
i want to make one of these ... the spindle nut anyone got a part number?
I'm not 100% certain even though I have the package in my hand (lotsa #'s) but I believe it's "43521-60011-nut, fr wheel adj"
Old 01-25-2008, 12:11 PM

thanks that was the right part.... why do you braze the nut on the pipe doesnt it screw???
Old 01-25-2008, 12:27 PM

Nope, the nut is smaller so the nut can screw onto the spindle (taking the grease laden pipe & cap with it), just align it & attach. I used Quick Steel, don't know if it'll work for sure but it should since there won't be any pressure applied to it.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:14 PM

yeah the pictures dont have anything for size for reference so im trying to put it all together.... and the whole last part about prying the axle just went right over my head....good thing i have 4 toyota tech manuals that i can read over and over till i get it ...

ordered my spindle nut today
11.60 up in canada from the stealership..
3.40 and 1.60 for the star and hub gasket
Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 PM

The tool is about as large as a mans fist & three or four pounds (it's a guess), the lid in the pictures is the cap from a spray paint can so that gives you an idea right there & yes the explanation on how to use it is a little confusing & not very clear, lucky for us lubing something isn't that difficult & once you get started I'm sure it'll become obvious what needs to be done.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:22 PM

okay now its clear.. i though it was the size of a marker
Old 01-25-2008, 01:27 PM

lol, no much larger than a marker. I'd show you a picture of the one I built next to something familar to give you an idea of the size but my wife & kids won't loan me there cameras for fear I'll break it or take it apart.

Quick Reply: Spindle Lubricator® for IFS axle shaft. PICTURES!