Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Once again my 3.0 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello ive been reading you problems and i myself have the same problem...i just swapped v6 for v6 and everything checks out but ive got no pulse from the injectors. ecm is perfectly fine because it ran 3 days ago with the old engine and nothings changed. im thinking ground wires but i was wondering if you guys know where the grounds are for the injectors?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM

I am not sure on the grounds, but I have been told a few times to check this. If you find a good diagram of just the grounds let me know. I checked all the vacuum lines today, and checked the diagnosis codes which were 14 and 41 and then after resetting them we do not get them again. It is so frustrating. Our motor was also a V-6 swap, and the motor litterally has less than 15K on it, so I really want this to work out. I may go through and start going through the entire wire harness.. but hoping to find an easier answer. There are so many people on here with the exact problem, but no one has fixed it yet, or posted the outcome. When mine died I was actually stepping on the throttle and it then died and has not run fully since. It cranks starts and dies. It sounds great for those few seconds. I had only driven about 30 miles with the new motor in, I am losing it looking out there and not being able to drive it. I hope to get this fixed soon. I will be doing the Injector tests tomorrow and cleaning the throttle body and IAC.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If the V6 is like the 22RE, the ECU is what supplies ground to the injectors. They get constant power then the ECU grounds them to let fuel flow. On the 22RE, a common problem is bad splices in those ECU-ground wires where they feed the injectors.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:40 PM

yah thats true crawler and i found a diagram on the school software for the injector grounds and you are right they do ground through the ecm but there is one other ground on the driver side fender. i havn't checked that ground yet but i never touched the ecm when i swapped motors so i dont know why i would have bad splices? i still havn't found why im gettin no pulse or firing from the injectors? is there anything else that controls them? like a vacumm line or something im missing?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:43 PM

i forgot while we where wiring the new engine back up one of my buddies shorted the battery with a wrench!! is there anything that could of blown or fried thats related to the injectors? its not my ecm because im gettin spark and everything else so...
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

This is the 22RE injector ground setup:

And a bad injector (ground) wire splice:

Don't have to touch those for them to go bad, they are just a couple of wires crimped together at the factory and wrapped in tape. Over the years, the crimp loosens, the wire oxidizes, etc, and the splice(s) fails.

If this is the issue, then testing for continuity between each injector connector ground pin and the ECU would show if there is a problem.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:37 PM

ok where are these splices located? could i have disturbed them by just pulling a motor and if so why would all six injectors not fire? are all the injectors on 1 splice from the ecm into the engine compartment?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:41 PM

ok i think i get it! If the wiring is the same for a v6 and the injectors are ecm ground actuated then if the 2 wires going to the ecm are messed up and not connected then they will still be getting power but there is no ground to tell them to turn on right?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:00 AM

Hopefully going to recheck this today. I don't think the 1st pic of the grounds is the same as the V-6, but I get the picture. We did have a mess of a brown wire with some gunk on it when I was rewrapping my wiring harness, I thought I cleaned it up, but doesn't hurt to go back and double check. I am going to get a stethescope first, to see if I can actually hear if the ignitors are firing. I am assuming no, but want to cover all the bases. I am amazed how many people have this issue.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure on the V6, but on the 22RE, they are a foot or or up inside the wiring harness tape from the injectors as I understand.

And yes, you need both power and ground for the injector to turn on.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:48 AM

ok i got spark, its dead nuts on time, got injector pulse, spark plugs are wet, good compression and its trying to fire...what else would cause this? could it be that since i tore this engine aprt that it just needs some assistance getting going for the first time?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
@ sikk yota

Before you go tearing into your harness, have you checked all your fuses? Very possible you popped one if you arced your battery. I blew the 100amp on my Camry once arcing the alternator, and while it didn't affect starting on the 1mzfe, it messed up a lot of other stuff. Popped off to one side and was difficult to spot. Rule out the easy stuff first.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SIKK YOTA
ok i got spark, its dead nuts on time, got injector pulse, spark plugs are wet, good compression and its trying to fire...what else would cause this? could it be that since i tore this engine aprt that it just needs some assistance getting going for the first time?
spark, air, fuel and COMPRESSION... thats whats needed for a motor to run.... U know u have spark, and ur plugs r wet, so obviously theres fuel, unless u have ur tb plugged up for some reason, u have air... so next is compression.... Do the compression test! Then report ur findings....

Ima say it once more... ALWAYS ALWAYS start diagnostics with a compression test... I learned that the heard way, by chasing these exact symptoms for over a year before finally testing my compression, and finding that I only had 30psi in 4 cyl's..... Just sayin....
Old 02-26-2011, 10:42 PM

ok i did that and actually found that theres low compression in the cylinders but not low enough to make it not fire i think...they had around 90 psi so i think thats ok for the time being?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 PM

alright guys i will keep yall posted on the fix when i have it. I am having a heck of a time with the shop. and hope to have a remanufactured ECM sometime this week. As of now thats my only update. But i will be sure to post on what my problem was.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:26 PM

ok guys!! SHE FIRED UP!!! but its puking some oil out the exaust mixed with some gas so idk what to make of this since i tore my engine apart and have been cranking on it ALOT so could the cylinder walls be washed down so much that they just need to get oil back into them and seal up?? any tricks to seat the rings or could this just be all my oil i used to pre-lube everything before installation?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Thread Jack ^^^^^
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
haha yeah, i was like ughh he fixed your truck?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM

nope the shope has a mechanic bringing an ECM from his truck at home to see if its for sure the problem since i had a spare and it still didnt work. They have had two technicians look at it now and they think its the ECM so i guess thats all good and i will have some news on that tomorrow hopefully.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SIKK YOTA
ok i did that and actually found that theres low compression in the cylinders but not low enough to make it not fire i think...they had around 90 psi so i think thats ok for the time being?
Uh... 90 psi is about half what it should be... theres your problem!

Quick Reply: Once again my 3.0 wont start