Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help with clutch pedal bracket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with clutch pedal bracket replacement

So, like countless other toyota owners, I am expereiencing the joy of a broken clutch pedal bracket on my 91 4runner V6. I have been looking for instructions on how to remove it in my toyota factory service manual but haven't had any luck. Does anyone here know if it is in there? Also, if you guys have any links to walk throughs or write ups I'd really appreciate it. Thank you.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I tried to fix mine a few different ways.

First I just welded the crack... that lasted about 3 months. Was very difficult to reach anyway and almost impossible to weld very well.

Second I tried to pull it out and weld it... but gave up. Major project (at least it seemed that way to me).

Eventually I just welded up a bracket of sorts with 1/4" bar stock and ran some bolts through the firewall here and there. I wouldn't want to take any pics because it looks like junk... but has been working perfectly for over a year.

Maybe even stiffer than factory.

I see you are in AZ. You are welcome to come take a look at it. Hope you are a contortionist because it's hard to even see the problem let alone repair it.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Take off the brake booster , then a few more bolts holding the bracket to the firewall.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:48 AM

Clutch master bolts got it too.Not a bad job really.I've done 2 of them.Took em out welded them and added a few gussets .
Bigblock
Old 11-16-2008, 10:00 AM

Did any of you have to disconnet the steering rod to remove the bracket?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM

I have mine out right now, and the steering column is still in. I am going to have to look it over for cracks, I just took it out to clean- grease- paint it while I am spraying Durabak on the floor. Do they always crack in the same spot?
Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM

Well I finally got mine completely removed and to my dismay the Upper bracket welded on to the bottom of the dash with the 2 mounting spots completly broke too. I guess i am going to have to have it welded professionally or drill out the welds. Anyone had to deal with this before?
Old 12-21-2008, 02:32 PM

Does anyone know if the insulation goes between the bracket and the firewall?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wait. so is this clutch bracket thing a widespread toyota problem? I had my clutch pedal (note bracket, the entire pedal) break on my 96 suzuki sidekick. If you're curious, take a look at the FSM for the sidekick and look at how stupid the pedal assembly is. There's a shaft going from the pedal (left on the assembly) all the way to the right, past the gas pedal, which then has a hook that pulls and released the clutch cable as you push it in.

I ask if this is widespread becasue I had my sidekick clutch pedal break 3 times, and had it professionally welded once, bought a new pedal and that one broke a week after installing it. Ended up taking it to my friend's dad to get it welded the right way.

I'm just traumatized by this experience, and being stranded in winter with no clutch pedal is bad.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 AM

I've seen a few threads on this same subject.....and experienced it with my truck. So I'm not surprised anytime I hear someone say their clutch bracket broke. Do a search as well, there are different ways people have gone about fixing this.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine broke, I reached in with my mig and welded it and like mentioned above it lasted a couple months. On a snowy Denver afternoon on my way back from a job interview it finally broke. I went down to the dealer and bought the new (upgraded) one that isn't supposed to break like this one.

To change it on a cold snowy day I took my drivers front seat out and put a rug down on the floor to soften it and give me something to lay on and got to work.

I just remember using basic hand tools for about an hour and a half to swap it out. I found it easiest to lay on my back with my feet in the back seat to work on it.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Swank
Mine broke, I reached in with my mig and welded it and like mentioned above it lasted a couple months. On a snowy Denver afternoon on my way back from a job interview it finally broke. I went down to the dealer and bought the new (upgraded) one that isn't supposed to break like this one.

To change it on a cold snowy day I took my drivers front seat out and put a rug down on the floor to soften it and give me something to lay on and got to work.

I just remember using basic hand tools for about an hour and a half to swap it out. I found it easiest to lay on my back with my feet in the back seat to work on it.

replaced mine already as well. found out someone bought a brand new dealer one on my truck. broken,, bought a used one that someone welded,, broke that one, now i took it all the way out. welded the hell out of it. gussets and brackets all over it.. that thing is bulletproof now. if you do remove it make sure you don't just weld the crack, gusset it and weld supports to it. its a bitch to take out so better to overdo it the first time than have to keep taking it out. trust me! i've done it more times than i want to !!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much is the new bracket from the dealer? Since I'm traumatized by my previous experience, I'll order it just to have it on hand for if/when mine does break.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry I don't remember how much it was I purchased it in Jan.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
How much is the new bracket from the dealer? Since I'm traumatized by my previous experience, I'll order it just to have it on hand for if/when mine does break.
Mine was $170 from the dealer. Does anyone know if the insulation goes between the bracket and the firewall?
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
on a stock 2nd gen.
mine looks okay sofar.
heres a photo of my clutch pedal that lost its shaft into the master cylinder

where do they crack/ break > b/c i would like to prevent that if possible.

or maybe, its the way some people use the clutch...i prefer to only depress far enough to engage the clutch.
and i know a few friends who stomp it to the floor every time.

could there be a method to this madness ?

Last edited by idanity; 01-14-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:22 PM

I have a 94 and I had to buy a new one a couple of months ago after trying to weld it back together. That fix lasted oh about 6 hours. Now i just broke my new one. What brain in the yota corp came up with such a crap product. Specially coming from a truck that is in most other areas, a tank. I'm pretty sure it's cracking in the same place as most everyone elses (top left corner). Gratefully, it is not a very labor intensive project. In fact last time it only took about a half hour to change out. Kinda a bitch getting the steering wheel back straight but other than that, not as bad as other repairs.

Any ideas on how to stiffen and support the new bracket?
Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM

I personally would not sandwich the insulation.Ya'll must have some left leg killer clutches in your trucks.When assembled in the truck let someone mash the pedal(make sure your head is under it,,JK)and you'll see what is flexing.Stop the flexing.
Bigblock
Old 01-30-2009, 04:56 AM

I am the proud owner of a 91 4x4 PU with the v6. I just bought the truck a few weeks back and about 3 days into my being the new owner the clutch failed, or what I assumed was a bad cluth. After reading some posts in these forums I figured out that it was not the clutch but indeed the clutch/brake pedal bracket. I tore mine out, not that hard a job, and found that the previous owner had some schmuck try to stick weld it while it was still in the truck. I went to the local salvage yard and pulled a bracket from a 92 2WD truck only to find out it was not an exact match, no problemo. I barrowed a buddy's wire feed welder (110v) used some C-clamps and some inginuity along with a washer and small piece of metal and was able to repair my bracket. Thanks for all the people here who post help suggestions and have the knowledge I was looking for. If not for this forum I would have purchased the whole clutch package and after much $$ and time would be no better off than when I started, again KUDOS to all here.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
CLP

Cracked Clutch Pedal Bracket

I have a 91 extra cab 4x4. I had mine replaced at the dealer in Astoria, OR in Jan. of 06. Moved to Colorado in Dec. of 07. The (NEW) one the dealer put in in 06 started cracking a couple of weeks ago. I thought at first the bushings were going out because I was having trouble shifting I never thought the new one would crack so soon. I took it back to the dealer and they won't replace it unless I cough up $580 bucks because the firewall is now cracked too which also needs welding! It is a piss poor design that toyota needs to address. I'm pissed because Toyota won't do the right thing! I told them I would meet them half way and they won't budge an inch! I told them I can't pay for someone's incompetence or a product with a serious design flaw. To get it out yourself would take some time because you have to disconnect the steering column, brake pedal, and a few other things. Most likely, if you did it yourself, you could fix it right by welding a reinforcing bracet or plate on the firewall and a couple of brackets onto the the clutch bracket to reduce the amount of tork it gets when the pedal gets pressed. This is not an isolated issue!

Quick Reply: Need help with clutch pedal bracket replacement