Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mods for the 3.0 durring a full rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Praufet
is there any larger afm we can use with our cars, maybe something from a pre- 96 supra or something like that? Or maybe even something non-Toyota?
Now you're thinkin' what I'm thinkin'.

But I think it goes farther than that. Ever heard of Extrudehone? Imagine silly-putty with abrasive particles being forced through your intake at high pressure. It would smooth out the casting, the passagways and lead to higher intake velocities.

Problem is it's expensive. $400 for a V6 intake and $1000 for V6 heads.
http://extrudehone.com/powerflow.html

Last edited by gwhayduke; 07-08-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But a larger afm could be gotten at a jy for cheap, and the throttle body can be bored out along with the manifold, but only so much. I wonder what other cars used AFMs that we could use.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:31 PM

7m supra?
Old 07-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

that's what I was thinking, wonder what the cross-section on that is?
Old 07-08-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ed, is your truck an auto or stick?

Note to all, what Ed is describing is the right way to get our trucks to get up and move if you don't want to throw in a new large motor. Tune 'em to rev higher and gear 'em low.

Frank
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elripster
Tune 'em to rev higher and gear 'em low.
They'll go alright...but they don't last as long as a slow turning, low end torque engine. But that's one reason I love diesels so much.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:15 PM

I emailed DOA a long time ago and they said the bolt patterns are different on the 3vz-e heads and the 3vz-fe heads otherwise I would've gone for the swap.
You could have just posted on here and I would have told you that. The heads are very different and you will have to fabricate your own header, have some fabricated or find some Camry headers (which I think is near impossible).

This head swap can get pricey, but for someone like me that has the experience with engines and means of fabrication, it'll be alot cheaper than a 5VZ engine swap.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:35 AM

Here's some info on the Supra AFM swap.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=SUPRA+AFM
http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post1084336
http://celica-gts.com/efi_intake.shtml
This mod takes about swapping the 82 Supra AFM into a 22re engine. It may fit the 3.0 also. If not the 82-? AFM has different electronics and may fit instead.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Highland Runner
Here's some info on the Supra AFM swap.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=SUPRA+AFM
http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s...ue#Post1084336
http://celica-gts.com/efi_intake.shtml
This mod takes about swapping the 82 Supra AFM into a 22re engine. It may fit the 3.0 also. If not the 82-? AFM has different electronics and may fit instead.
Wow, that AFM is alot better than the one on our trucks. I have an '83 Celica, I wonder if that was just the older design AFM or if it's just like that because it's a Supra. I'll check it out tomorrow when I finish tearing down the Celica engine.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
Wow, that AFM is alot better than the one on our trucks. I have an '83 Celica, I wonder if that was just the older design AFM or if it's just like that because it's a Supra. I'll check it out tomorrow when I finish tearing down the Celica engine.
Sorry, after more reading I found out the answer to my thoughts about my old Celica. Not a big deal though, I know that there is one or two old Celica Supras in the local salvage yard.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:38 AM

Ed, is your truck an auto or stick?

Frank
Automatic. Makes drinking that cup of coffee easier during my daily commute into purgatory.

Ed
Old 07-09-2004, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Now we just gotta find a larger throttle body that will work with the 3.0 then verify what injectors will work and we got ourselves and engine! Let's see: camry heads, custom headers, '82 supra AFM, cone filter and custom intake tube, big tb and bored out manifold, bigger injectors...I bet with tuning that could easily make 200+ hp Finally we're getting somewhere.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:31 PM

Ok, someone on here send me a message(I replied already, no need to say who you are) and I just want to be clear on this so that no one is bagging on me because they couldn't make this work. I just thought others might be confused, so I'll go over this again.

What you need:

PARTS FROM YOUR STOCK 4RUNNER/PICK-UP:
All components needed to complete a long block rebuild
*minus stock pistons*

PARTS NEEDED TO AQUIRE FROM '92-93 CAMRY/ES300:
complete heads w/ valve covers (2, left and right bank)
pistons
exhaust gaskets
valave cover gaskets

PARTS NEEDED TO AQUIRE FROM 3RD GEN. 4RUNNER/TACOMA/T-100 (5VZ):
complete intake plenum (3 pieces)
throttle body
all gaskets for intake and TB

PARTS THAT YOU MUST FABRICATE OR HAVE FABRICATED:
headers
intake??? (not sure about this one yet)

OPTIONA PARTS THAT HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED IN THIS THREAD, SOME I'M SURE OF, OTHERS I'M NOT:
7M-GE injectors
7M-G/TE AFM
electric fan conversion
upgraded ignition (Jacobs, Crane, etc.)

TRD S/C for 3.4L (5VZ-FE)
4A-GZE injectors (recommended if you dare to go this route)

These are all of the things that come to might that are needed and options that have been dicussed on here. I'm not finished with mine at this point, only a dry assembly has been made to make sure it all fits together. I do have alot of knowledge with working on Toyota engines and I have "dry" assembled this engine. However, if you do this swap, it is at your own risk. Their might be issues with the timing belt or other components.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:48 PM

This is very interesting, I have often wondered about doing something like this and actually asked about on 4x4wire, but all I got were the typical "just put in the 3.4" answers. For my own clarification would you answer some of my questions please?

1) Why is changing the pistons necessary? Is the issue valve clearance? If the bore and the stroke are identical the clearance should remain the same, right? Are the camry pistons shaped differently for the 4 valve setup?

2) What is the difficulty in using the camry EM's. I understand they are built for a transverse mount but they still flow exhaust gases.

3) Will this setup utilize the stock ECM?

Thank you for humoring me with these questions. I not a total noob just noob to Toy's.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by okidoc
This is very interesting, I have often wondered about doing something like this and actually asked about on 4x4wire, but all I got were the typical "just put in the 3.4" answers. For my own clarification would you answer some of my questions please?

1) Why is changing the pistons necessary? Is the issue valve clearance? If the bore and the stroke are identical the clearance should remain the same, right? Are the camry pistons shaped differently for the 4 valve setup?

2) What is the difficulty in using the camry EM's. I understand they are built for a transverse mount but they still flow exhaust gases.

3) Will this setup utilize the stock ECM?

Thank you for humoring me with these questions. I not a total noob just noob to Toy's.
ANSWERS:

1. The piston change is necessary because of the valves. The top of the 4Runner/pick-up (3VZ-E) pistons have only 2 valve reliefs. The Camry/ES300 (3VZ-FE) pistons have 4 vavle reliefs.

2. The Camry/ES300 exhaust manifolds is an option, but an odd one. The 3VZ-FE uses the same ˟˟˟˟ty crossover type manifolds. The catch is that they cross over to the wrong side, which would have to cross back over or under some way because of the transfer case. I'm sure that you could mod up a log type header for almost nothing. It would flow better than a stock cast one.

3. This set-up will use the stock ECM. The engine will not even see the head swap. I know people that have swapped heads on other Toyota engines and they run fine.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

I'm definately interested to see how this goes. I'll most likely wait till your done, main because I don't have the cash for it to not work. One more question why the 5vz intake components? Do they just flow better? And do they bolt up to the 3vz-fe heads or is there some modification required? I'm really excited about this and can't wait to see your results Dan.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:11 AM

Dan thanks for the answers and you work on this. And thanks to your truck for being the ginuea pig when it all gets put together. I will watch this excitedly. I would offer my help but I don't think it would work out I am in Wa.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:21 AM

I'm definately interested to see how this goes. I'll most likely wait till your done, main because I don't have the cash for it to not work. One more question why the 5vz intake components? Do they just flow better? And do they bolt up to the 3vz-fe heads or is there some modification required? I'm really excited about this and can't wait to see your results Dan.
The reason for the 5VZ intake is this. The DOHC heads are wider than the OHC heads. The lower part of the intake that bolts to the heads on the stock engine is too wide after the head swap. You have 2 choises after the head swap. The 3VZ-FE intake or the 5VZ-FE intake. The 3VZ-FE intake will obviously work with the heads, but will face the back of the engine because of the way it was mounted in the Camry/ES300. The 5VZ-FE intake is going to be the right choice since it will face the right way because it was mounted in RWD/4WD vehicles.

okidoc, I can't guarentee when I'll be done with my truck because of the divorce. Got the bill from the lawyer this weekend, so that will come first.

After the engine is mounted there wil still be more time needed to fab up the headers and possibly issues with the distributor when installing the engine. I'll keep the board posted though.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Would it be feasible to use just the exhuast manifolds from the camry and have an exhaust shop fab up pipes to cross over and meet up under the truck? The reason I ask is that those of us in California have to be careful how we mod our exhaust. Typically headers have to be "carb" certified. However, if you use the stock manifolds, it's like just replacing your exhaust system cause say.. it rusted, yeah... that's it.. rust...in San Diego...

Frank
Old 07-11-2004, 08:11 PM

Would it be feasible to use just the exhuast manifolds from the camry and have an exhaust shop fab up pipes to cross over and meet up under the truck? The reason I ask is that those of us in California have to be careful how we mod our exhaust. Typically headers have to be "carb" certified. However, if you use the stock manifolds, it's like just replacing your exhaust system cause say.. it rusted, yeah... that's it.. rust...in San Diego...

Frank
Hey, yeah, you can do that. I actually answered that somewhere already. I hadn't thought about CA....I know how that is though. Do what you have to do if you decide to do this. Good Luck if you do.

Quick Reply: Mods for the 3.0 durring a full rebuild