Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Long Cranking Time to start 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2022, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
You do know the FSM only specifies about a 5 minute hold time for fuel pressure, yes?

And no matter WHAT, you really never, ever should drive with the jumper in holding the fuel pump on. It's just asking for an engine fire to do that. The COR, and all the rest, is a very important safety system.To bypass it is asking for trouble. Accidents happen when we least expect them, and most often on short trips, locally. Loosing your truck is one thing, burning alive before the First Responders can even arrive is an entirely different animal.

If you are really concerned about having pressure in the fuel system before a dead cold start, just turn the key to start for a few seconds before pressing the clutch in, or pressing the Clutch Start Cancel switch. You can hear the fuel pump run, and when it's tone changes, press in the clutch. It'll fire right up. I do that in my 87 4Runner, works like a dream.

Anywho, good luck, and have fun!
Pat☺
Its an automatic transmission. The problem was the plug on the cold start injector. And also that the injector will spray even if its warm outside, to help get it started. I heard alot of people say that it only is supposed to spray when its real cold. But thats not right. After my truck sit overnight it would take forever to start. I never thought about the cold start injector until it got cold and it was taking even longer to start. So i had to fix that and that was my problem the whole time. Going by what people say, i wouldn't think it would cause that in the summer time, but it did. I was only worried about having fuel pressure in the rail, because after sitting overnight it was hard to start and i thought that the fuel was running back down the line and therefore taking longer to start. But i was wrong. There was some fuel in the rail, but not under pressure, but it would pressurized as soon as i cranked it or put a jumper in. The (cold) in cold start injector, doesn't mean a certain temp like 45° , it means when the engine is cold ,which can mean 80°- 10° . Those numbers are just for reference and do not represent a certain temp the motor has to be at . I should say that if your motor has not been running in the last 6 hours, It is cold and uses the cold start injector to help it start. Im sure i opened a can of worms with that, and some are going to say that it only sprays when its 32° or whatever outside. Well if you think that, then next time its 70° or so outside and you haven't started your truck in 8 hours or so, then before you crank it, pull the cold start injector out where you can see it spray, and crank it and see if it sprays. I even read somewhere where someone took theres off, but whatever. Mine sprays when its been sitting for several hours and it helps it start no matter what the temp outside is.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotainmyblood
You probably replaced them. Your supposed to when you take em lose. I replaced mine halfway through messing with all of this. But i think i got it taken care of. I replaced that cold injector time switch and it still wasn't spraying and i noticed that plug on the cold injector , when i looked at inside where it plugs into those prongs, one side i couldn't see the contacts that fit over the prongs. So i stuffed a piece of wire in that one side and presto, it started spraying. So i put it back together and it cranked right up. So i let it sit over night and it cranked up pretty quick the next morning. And this morning it cranked up after about 4 seconds, and its about 25 degrees this morning. So maybe the cold start injector was the problem the whole time. And if thats the case, then it helps with starting all the time. And fuel will stay in the rail, but it doesn't have pressure after sitting overnight. Some people say the cold start injector only sprays when its a certain temp or cold. But i bet it sprays at any temp to help with start up. Or maybe not when its hot, but after it has sit all night, its supposed to spray. But the time switch probably wasn't even bad, it was that harness the whole time. I tested the injector with 12volts, and it worked, so i thought it was the time switch. But it was the plug. Lesson learned. And learned about how that thing works for myself, cause you wouldn't know if you listen to people say it only sprays when its real cold outside.
I’m glad you got it fixed!!!!
Old 01-23-2022, 11:52 AM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
I'm glad you got it too.

Having said that, the CSI Timing Switch activates when the COOLANT temp is below 80° C. Even a hot day in Yuma, of which there are numerous ones, after sitting a while the coolant will be below 80° C. That's 176° F, and honestly, as hot and miserable as Yuma is, I've never seen a 176° F day!
So yeah, the CSI will be used when the truck's sat for a while. Yes, when the engine is "cold". A relative term, really, but they do have a specification for the coolant temp for it to activate.

Anywho, glad you solved the problem!
Pat☺
Old 03-05-2022, 06:36 PM

I'm glad you got it too.

Having said that, the CSI Timing Switch activates when the COOLANT temp is below 80° C. Even a hot day in Yuma, of which there are numerous ones, after sitting a while the coolant will be below 80° C. That's 176° F, and honestly, as hot and miserable as Yuma is, I've never seen a 176° F day!
So yeah, the CSI will be used when the truck's sat for a while. Yes, when the engine is "cold". A relative term, really, but they do have a specification for the coolant temp for it to activate.

Anywho, glad you solved the problem!
Pat☺
I solved that problem,but now,a month later i started it up to let it run for awhile and while i was running to the store in a different vehicle, i got back and noticed it wasn't running anymore. So i git in it and cranked it and it wouldn't start. I thought it was out of gas. So it set for a couple weeks since I've been rebuilding a 3.4 for another truck. So today i go out to it and check the tank and it has about 2" of gas in it. So i put that jumper in the diagnostic box so when i turn the key to on , i can hear fuel running through the FPR. So i know its getting fuel. So i checked rhe distributor cap and AFM and i cranked it and it would fire once but then just crank. But everytime i would cycle the key it would fire one time. I did this about 30 times and each time it seemed to hit a little longer, then finally it started up and ran about 4or 5 minutes then just died. No spuddering or anything like running out if gas, more like someone just turned the key off. And now it wont start again. Now ive never had this problem before on this truck and the last thing i did to it was i changed out the cold start injector time switch and while i was doing this i accidentally broke the coolant temp sensor. So i had found one that looked brand new in a 4runner that we got from a salvage yard that had a bunch of new parts in it, and that sensor was one of those parts that i put up to keep. So when i broke that one, i knew i had one to replace it and so i did. And then went about fixing the cold start injector and after all that fir several weeks you could get right in and crank it right up. No problems and i thought i was done with it until the other day when i cranked it up to let it run awhile and it died after about ten minutes. And like i said i thought it was just out of gas and didn't bother messing with it till today. Would a wrong coolant temp sensor cause one not to start? Cause im not for sure if its for that motor. It looks just like the old one, and i tested it with hot water before i put it in, but it could be the wrong one? It seemed to work fine for the first month when i would start it up just to let it run, because that truck just sits. Im going back over there tomorrow and im going to put about 5 gal. of gas in it to be sure, then ill get a new coolant temp sensor to be sure i have the right one. But this kinda stumped me this afternoon and i didn't have much time to work on it. But i know the computer could shut it down if it was reading from the coolant sensor. But i did undo the battery cable for about 5 minutes to reset the computer so it would hopefully start if it had a bad reading from the sensor. But it didn't start. And with the jumper wire in, i can hear fuel running through the FPR, so im sure its getting fuel. And it will hit one time as soon as you begin to crank, but wont start. And the way it died when i was standing there, it sounds like its electrical. But ill start with those two things then ill change out the igniter from my truck to see if thats it. Buy if it was a bad AFM, that wouldn't stop it from starting, but i know it would stop it from running, wouldn't it? Ive read all of these threads on this kind of issue, and haven't seen anything that i haven't thought of, other than one guy had a bad wiring plug that plugs into the distributor. So ill check for that also. Anyone have any ideas that are kind of unusual or have heard of an unusual fix for this issue, please let me know. Im not in any big rush, cause its on a 4runner that my buddy brought to sale that i did a headgasket job on last year and after that ive put alot of new parts on it,but not from a running problem. It has always ran just fine when one of us has driven it up town or to the store. But all the plugs and wires and rotor and button were replaced back when I did the heads.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:17 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
A quick note: the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel around it. Could it be, with 2" of fuel in the tank, the fuel pump is overheating and stopping? It doesn't take very much of that, and the fuel pump is shot. It may work cold, but when it warms up, with no fuel to cool it...

Just a thought. It's possible the fuel pump isn't any good any more.
Pat☺
Old 03-06-2022, 12:51 PM

A quick note: the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel around it. Could it be, with 2" of fuel in the tank, the fuel pump is overheating and stopping? It doesn't take very much of that, and the fuel pump is shot. It may work cold, but when it warms up, with no fuel to cool it...

Just a thought. It's possible the fuel pump isn't any good any more.
Pat☺
Ok. Thanks for the info. Its a new denso pump. Well, i put it in 5 months ago. And the truck doesn't get driven hardly at all. We driven it up town or to the store, and we crank it up and let it run once a month. So we haven't put 30 miles on it since i did the headgaskets. But, thats why i put that jumper wire in ,so i can hear the fuel flowing through the FPR, so i know its getting fuel. Now if its doing what you say about heating up, that would definitely stop it from running, but shouldn't stop it from starting. If i could have restarted it after i put the jumper in and knew that there was fuel in the rail,then i would have thought it was a fuel issue. But since i couldn't restart it after doing that,im thinking its an electrical issue.