Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Life Lesson Learned

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL yes I was planning on a fresh coat of paint down the road.. Maybe when I get to Fort Lewis (hopefully) about this time next year. My cousin is around that area and can do it for cheap (beer) I just thank God she didn't add any more dents to it. All of the current dents have stories behind them and I'm actually kinda proud of most of them. Really, the only thing.. 2 things... I'm pissed about is the cigarette smoke and practically driving without oil.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger62811

Another little fun fact...

My wife was in Oregon visiting her folks for 2 months while I was gone, leaving her cousin home alone. I guess she threw parties.. a lot... Well, they were going to play beer pong, but didn't have a table. So, in her infinite wisdom, she took her bedroom door off the hinges and used the door for a table. I never would have found out, but she didn't tighten the screws all the way down and the door wouldn't close.

More to come later.
Guess the stoner[s] did'nt think to just knock out the hinge pins when they took the door off... at least she tried to put the door back on...

reminds me you folks might want to check behind the grills on the return air vents for the furnace and or in the registers... stoners will some times use these as hiding places...
ought to get a duct clean or at least a filter replacement anyway just in case...

you used "island breeze between the sheets" to restore the "hunting season" smell in the truck? just what the heck was you and your dad out hunting for anyway?!!!

ooh ooh I know!
You was hunting :wabbit2:
Old 12-27-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
you used "island breeze between the sheets" to restore the "hunting season" smell in the truck? just what the heck was you and your dad out hunting for anyway?!!!

ooh ooh I know!
You was hunting :wabbit2:
LMAO ... I'm just trying to get rid of the smoke smell. I'm probably only going to drive it one more time before I head back to SC, and I won't see it again for almost 5 months.

It's not the hunting season smell... it's the smell of the hot air mixing with the years of dirt build up in the upholstery.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

"Pure Romance Island Breeze Between the Sheets"

hmmm sounds like something you'd get from eating too much spicy goat roti... and it ain't very romantic.... more of a romance killer truth be told...

and the CLIO for most misrepresentative product name goes to...
Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about the way she treated your truck. But you shouldn't lump all kids/teenagers in with her. I am 20 and have immense respect for other peoples equipment especially family members. That being said, she was extremely disrespectful of one of your most prized possessions.

I'm sure you wouldn't want it to go this far, but if need be maybe you could hire a lawyer and go from there...

Either way, I hear an open container of coffee grinds is a good way to eliminate bad odors while making the truck smell good.

Goodluck!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 PM

Hehe... lawyers are for losers... I got guns n sh....

But anyway... yeah I'm not grouping all teenagers together. I thought she was a better person than this. I, too, have immense respect for other people's possessions. Which is why I'd rather buy my own or go without before borrowing anything. And usually when I ask to borrow something, I hear "I have plenty of them, keep it."

I will admit to you all. I have become a pretty generous person. I give what I can, when I can. But, now that I have been so badly burned, my generosity is on lockdown. I know it's not fair to base everyone off of one person's wrong doing, but no one ever said life is fair. I even told her "if a starving homeless man came to my door asking for a warm place to stay for the night, I'd give him my cell phone to call you and say thank you for the things you've done to ensure he stays cold tonight" Although not true.. was going for the guilt trip.

Tomorrow's my birthday. She stole $100 from me the day my wife kicked her out. She left a couple boxes of her crap here. I gave her 7 days to pay me back. Tomorrow is day #8. I get to sell her stuff and make my money back
Old 12-27-2011, 06:40 PM

sounds like a real winner. "ladies" like this are why i'm still single.

it's too bad people can't be trusted to borrow things. I don't even trust people to borrow my tools, let alone a vehicle. they NEVER treat it as if it were their own. I was brought up that when you borrow something you return it better than you found it. if it's tools, you clean and oil them before you return them. if it's a car, give it back better than you borrowed it. why can't this be more common

anyway what kind of stuff will you have to sell? anything useful? :>

Last edited by aviator; 12-27-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Like has been said, not all teens are out to trash your stuff and have no respect. I am 20 also, and know that a persons trust is one of the most valuable things you can earn. There really are more good people out there than bad people. I hope she doesn't tarnish the next person's opportunity to receive your help.

Give it time, the smell will go away. In time that smell you love will return.

Last edited by stockwell45; 12-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Always return it with more gas than when you got it. I know. Simple things like that.

No, nothing really useful. She took all the good stuff with her, which I'm sure some of my stuff was included. Mostly clothes. Lots of underwear. Stuffed animals. Items with a lot of sentimental value. Not much $$$ value. I could probably take it to Goodwill and claim it as $100 deduction on my taxes...
Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM

I know one bad grape doesn't ruin the entire vineyard. I may say "I am so done opening my arms, heart, and home to people" but I know this isn't true. Although.. I have a buddy right now whose wife just left him for his friend. He keeps asking if we know of a cheap place to stay. I just can't invite him to stay here. I am enjoying being able to pee with the door open now that it's just the 3 of us living here again.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 PM

i just had to lie to my uncle today because he wanted to borrow my toy to pull a moving trailer. I've seen him drive a manual before, he believes that revving it up to 3k and slipping the clutch is how your supposed to take off. I told him the clutch was out ( new marlin clutch less then 50 miles ago) And off topic but this same guy used to have a 80 model f250 and the starter used to stick, he just finished lunch went to go start it, starter stuck he left the key on ,left it in 2nd gear (he destroyed first early in the year) got a hammer from the back and started beating on the starter. Making the long story short it started and took off and totaled a parked focus.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM

you could ebay the underwear and note they havent been washed. im sure creepers will start the biggest bidwar in history
Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 PM

Go to the store and pick up a cheep can of coffee. Pop a couple holes in the lid and set the can behind the seat. Not only does the coffee absorb some of the old smells it swaps them for good smells.

Oh, and I learned this on accident in my dad's old truck but if you want the heater vents to smell awesome pour half a bag of Skittles down there when yer taking a sharp turn
Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM

I've had good results with parking the vehicle in the sun on a hot day and running the heat at full blast, leave the windows open a crack so you get some ventilation. It will smell worse at first, but works surprisingly well at getting out odors.

[EDIT] And I don't suggest being in the truck when you do this
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Ferbreeze. Religiously. I used it in my truck about 4-5 times a day after I quit smoking and the smell was gone in no time.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:41 AM

LMAO ok I like the eBay and underwear idea... some of the thongs are pretty cute, just not my size...

So sounds like I'll have pretty good luck, since I've combined a few of yall's suggestions into the 3 hours I spent on it the other day. Still haven't cracked her open to take a sniff.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:11 PM

I don't like people borrowing my vehicles, there no respect anymore, in the late 80's when my brother had his 86 4x4 xtra cab SR-5 he bought it a year old and while he was doing his 2 week a year guards duty I used it for 2 weeks and loved toys since then and he got it back just like it was, even though I got hounded to TAKE it off-road by friends I didn't because I respected his property, he's the one who trashed it over the years after buying a farm, never cleaned it once used it for hunting and farming and DD to and from work, used to chase deer across fields in the winter :}LOL And he had it for almost 20 years till rust finally killed it, but still ran awesome :}
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM

hehe that's what I'm talkin about ^^^^

I always hounded my dad to stop driving around the mud pits whenever we were up in the hills, whether for hunting or to go shooting. I didn't fully understand why until a few years later when he handed his 11 year old truck down to me. Here I am now, the truck is nearly 18 years old, and although not running STRONG.. she still runs like a Toyota.

Eventually I'll drop a diesel into it, and she'll be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 12-29-2011, 06:04 PM

You need a pic to go with the undies before I bid on them. J/K
I have a few ex-smoker cars, Fabreze, wash windows several times, scrub everything down, leave windows open as much as possible, bottle of English Leather cracked open in glove box. The smell should be a little less nausiating in about 5 years.

Smoking for extended periods also creams your wiring and controls, much worse than lung disease IMO.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:21 PM

I guess my wife found a detail place that specializes in getting rid of cigarette smoke. Prices range anywhere from $60-250 depending on the vehicle. I'm cheap though.

Quick Reply: Life Lesson Learned