Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just swapped a W56 into my turbo/auto pickup.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, the grinding into reverse mysteriously went away. I'm not sure why, but I'm happy now
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM

Hey, just an update on this. I've been driving it for several months now. The clutch started slipping now and again so I decided to swap it out.

I swear I can swap the clutch in this thing in under 4 hours......

The output shaft of the transmission was loose. Surprise! I guess it's not uncommon for these things to loosen up over time especially with excessive vibrations. I noticed one of the u joints on my drive shaft was a little off. I greased it, tightened down the output nut, and re-staked it. In the future I'll revisit this, and replace the nut.

When I put the new clutch in I made sure to go over the input shaft splines and get them really clean, and lubed them up with a LITTLE grease. The old clutch was having problems dis-engaging as was discussed above, and would chatter on engagement. I have a suspicion that it was all just the disk binding on the input shaft.

With the new clutch and pressure plate, engagement is amazingly smooth. I had to adjust the pedal again, as the clutch wasn't fully engaging now. I assume the old one wasn't either, which is why it started slipping, but it needed to be that way to get the clutch fully dis-engaged.

I was getting 18-20mpg in the city when I first put the transmission in, but that dropped significantly shortly after. I've been neglecting this truck maintenance wise over the last year. So, last weekend I decided to give the truck some TLC. I did an oil change, replaced the plugs (the old ones were toast!), did a valve lash adjustment, greased all the grease points, new air filter, oil filter (obviously), tire pressure, thermostat, minor coolant flush. So far, the mileage is right back up there which makes me happy, and the engine is purring like a kitten! (Cap rotor and wires are all pretty new) What I thought was the start of a rod-knock ended up just being noisy rockers. This motor is still solid! This makes me very happy. The plugs that I pulled out, although they had no electrode left (cheap canadian tire coppers) showed a proper burn with no oil residue or anything bad. I'm glad this motor isn't burning anything nasty. I threw some NGK platinums in there instead of the cheap crap. The O2 sensor still might be bad. I replaced it just before I swapped the tranny, but it was banged up pretty good offroading.

Anyways, I'm very happy with the swap still. It's running great, the truck has power, and highway driving is no longer a chore hoping you don't have a head-wind.

Oh, 5th gear whines a little bit. Not sure why. Also, with my header, 2.5" exhaust, and free-flowing muffler, this thing sounds nasty decelerating. Popping and rumbling from 2000 down to 1200rpm. It's funny and awesome.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try some mt-90 in there and so what it does..i finished mine about two months ago with a g52 trans and have 0 problems except it being my first manual transmission ever lol. reverse is a pain to get in all of these trucks i think, just stick it in 1st or 2nd and the reverse..sometimes i have to do it twice but it always works with no grinding.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM

It already has MT-90 in it

Reverse works perfectly fine now BTW. Now my R154, that thing HATES reverse.