Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How to go about cleaning AFM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to go about cleaning AFM?

Howdy,
I've narrowed my engine problem down to the AFM itself, as I can jump the fuel pump and it starts fine (just idles a little high). Engine will not fire otherwise. I thought maybe it would need replacing, but i've fixed almost everything using nothing, can't give up now.

Truck is a 86' 4Runner 22RE, and this is the last obsticle before it becomes daily drivable. I see in the FSM there are procedures to testing the AFM, but can't do that until I can obtain an ohm meter.

Are there any tricks to cleaning it maybe? I've read through numerous threads where owners have cleaned their v6 MAF. I know it's different, but are there any similar cleaning methods for an air flow meter?
Old 12-06-2006, 04:12 PM

If the afm for the 22re is like the 3.0, DO NOT touch the 2 screws on top of the airbox that you think you should open!!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:19 PM

^ Believe me, i've read a lot about that. The 2 screws on an MR2 MAF will cost you about $1100 parts and labor.

There are no visable screws on the AFM.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
theres not really much to clean on it. Just take the intake box off, and make sure that the plate moves smoothly in it, and that nothing is blocking it.

there are some adjustments you can make to the spring to adjust the fuel mix if i remember correctly people used to do that on celicas.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:49 PM

damn whats up with those screws?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:46 AM

why not try and find a GOOD used AFM?
Old 12-07-2006, 05:26 AM

Haha, I'll tell you what's up with those screws--considering that's how I broke mine last month. It's the socket to the AFM plug. When you pull that, you pull wires and other connections. I was quoted $650 for the part and $200 for the labor. I found the AFM on Ebay for $45 and I did the labor myself (10 minute job). I still have no idea why they wanted so much for labor. Sounds like a scam to me...
Old 12-07-2006, 05:51 AM

labor is done by the book. theres an estimating book, and it says the number of hours to bill for each job. they overestimate so they dont have cost overruns when they run into other problems.

Soposedly the connections can be fixed with solder if you're careful after accidentally tearing it apart.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MMA_Alex
labor is done by the book. theres an estimating book, and it says the number of hours to bill for each job. they overestimate so they dont have cost overruns when they run into other problems.

Soposedly the connections can be fixed with solder if you're careful after accidentally tearing it apart.
Yeah I was able to solder mine back together but it was a PITA. Toyota never should have put screws there because those screws should never be removed.

If you really want to open it up, take a box cutter and cut the sealant around the top and pry the cover off. Shouldn't need to do that though unless you take out those screws and rip the thin foil strips that connect to the circut board.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Toyota never should have put screws there because those screws should never be removed.
Tends to be that when you can actually get screws out, you're doing someting you shouldn't be lol
Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 PM

so the screws are whats making a connection and removing them ruins the connection and you need a new part?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mister Willie
so the screws are whats making a connection and removing them ruins the connection and you need a new part?
Well the screws aren't making the connection, but the screws are all that keeps you from tearing a couple of thin strips of foil that are making the connection. Stupid, they should have put rivets or welded it shut.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SuperBlue
Howdy,
I've narrowed my engine problem down to the AFM itself, as I can jump the fuel pump and it starts fine (just idles a little high). Engine will not fire otherwise. I thought maybe it would need replacing, but i've fixed almost everything using nothing, can't give up now.

Truck is a 86' 4Runner 22RE, and this is the last obsticle before it becomes daily drivable. I see in the FSM there are procedures to testing the AFM, but can't do that until I can obtain an ohm meter.

Are there any tricks to cleaning it maybe? I've read through numerous threads where owners have cleaned their v6 MAF. I know it's different, but are there any similar cleaning methods for an air flow meter?
I'd go back a step, and get an inexpensive digital ohmeter at Radio Shack (for instance). That will tell you whether its bad.

If it is bad, it is not a matter of cleaning. There is predictable wear on the phenolic surface the pickup rides on. The part is expensive new, so if you don't get a new one, get one with as few miles on the truck as you can find. You can pick up a used one for $75 or so. I went for a new one, as I intend to keep the truck. I think the part is good for about 200k miles new.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by rdharper
I'd go back a step, and get an inexpensive digital ohmeter at Radio Shack (for instance). That will tell you whether its bad.

If it is bad, it is not a matter of cleaning. There is predictable wear on the phenolic surface the pickup rides on. The part is expensive new, so if you don't get a new one, get one with as few miles on the truck as you can find. You can pick up a used one for $75 or so. I went for a new one, as I intend to keep the truck. I think the part is good for about 200k miles new.
I figured I should try that first. I stopped by Walmart yesterday to find an ohmmeter, but there was only a $50 digital meter. Of all the places to find something expensive...
Old 12-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SuperBlue
I figured I should try that first. I stopped by Walmart yesterday to find an ohmmeter, but there was only a $50 digital meter. Of all the places to find something expensive...
Radio Shack carries a variety. I prefer AA or AAA LCD digital. Should be less than $30.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the sugestion.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:55 PM

radio shack and sears both sell cheap digital multi meters (sub $20).

Its an extremely useful tool for all sorts of electrical work, and definately worth having.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
$2.99 at Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90899

I need to pick up a few more, someone stole one out of my truck's glove box last summer.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:17 AM

I dont know how much i'd trust the harbor freight one to keep working for me, but then again you could get 2...or 10
Old 12-08-2006, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Mine have been working great, carry one in each vehicle (until some low life ripped off one). They are a decent meter, handle 20 amps on DC current and have a diode and transistor test function also. And at the price, if something happens to it, oh well!

Quick Reply: How to go about cleaning AFM?