Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hesitation in Rain (22RE)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug Wires

Originally Posted by marty4runner
Try making sure your rotor/cap are in the right place. I would also put a little RTV around the cap. From what I understand (and from experince), 22REs get moisture in the distributers pretty easily. Also try spraying some WD-40 under the cap to keep moisture (if it gets in there) away.
Go to the Dealer and buy the $2 distributor gasket and install it , check your plug wires at night - if you see a light show then replace and or you can try the misting water trick as well at night , may have some leakage to ground / chasis somewhere under high moisture conditions .
Also go to the parts store and buy yourself a large tube of ignition grease (aka - dielectric grease) and put a dab inside (pencil eraser size) in each plug boot and re-install - then do the same to your dist. cap (but use a smaller amount and put in Distributor Wire Socket so you don't get on boot sealing surface or somtimes it likes to slide off if clips are not snug , but then you can bend tabs out on wire end clip and solve that problem too) .
When you are done your plug wire connections will be immune to water and if you get the Dist. Cap Gasket (RTV so sloppy , OEM Gasket cheap and works great ) then you will be set - and even if that is not the issue then the connections will never dry and or corrode .
If you grease all the boots (and yes this is non-conductive grease) PLEASE make sure your wires are good unless you want to do both sets which is up to you .
You can use the Di-electric Grease on all electrical connections under the hood as well as bulbs - it will make your light bulbs last forever and keep all connections free of water/moisture problems
And for those who wheel in the water use it on your ECM connector and you won't have to worry about water there either

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-22-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reviving an old thread. Did you ever figure out why humidity was causing your poor idle and bog until 4K rpms? Mine is doing the exact same thing except until 3.5k rpms.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 AM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Latone
Reviving an old thread. Did you ever figure out why humidity was causing your poor idle and bog until 4K rpms? Mine is doing the exact same thing except until 3.5k rpms.
Sam,
Did you ever inspect your engine compartment if rainwater got in there? It is not the most well-sealed compartment. In fact rain water could easily get inside and wet the area around the igniter, as well a the injector resistor bank through the gap between hood and fender.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Sam,
Did you ever inspect your engine compartment if rainwater got in there? It is not the most well-sealed compartment. In fact rain water could easily get inside and wet the area around the igniter, as well a the injector resistor bank through the gap between hood and fender.
I was just thinking the same. I've had similar issues and found that rain water was getting in at the gap between hood and fender and soaking the surfaces around the igniter coil. I ended up buying some door stripping from Home depot and running it along the lip of fender ender the edge of the hood. Problem went away.
Here's a link to the stuff:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...184B/206764829
(wish it came in black though)
Old 09-23-2018, 01:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Olessen
I was just thinking the same. I've had similar issues and found that rain water was getting in at the gap between hood and fender and soaking the surfaces around the igniter coil. I ended up buying some door stripping from Home depot and running it along the lip of fender ender the edge of the hood. Problem went away.
Here's a link to the stuff:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Frost-Ki...184B/206764829
(wish it came in black though)
It's not sealed and when left outside when it's raining I find water in the engine compartment.