Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Finally found a HILUX surf for sale in canada....need input!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Finally found a HILUX surf for sale in canada....need input!!!!

check this link out...scroll to the very bottom and check out the truck, the price..in canadian dollars, and the stats...

Is this a good deal?

Id really really really appreciate some input on this truck before i put a deposit down.....

http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showtopic=23281
Old 01-28-2006, 04:08 PM

did the hilux surf come with a big tire package? what size of gears?
Old 01-28-2006, 04:52 PM

heres some right rare helix for sale in canada. One is a two door runner, the other is a quad cab helix. Keep yours eyes peeled and they come up often out west.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...6&pgno=1&srt=1

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...4&pgno=1&srt=1
Old 01-28-2006, 05:18 PM

is there anyone on this site that knows lots about hilux's???
Old 01-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Aviator has one, but he's a rare visitor these days. Try to PM him...he's a good guy and ready to help out with any info he has.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/

here are some guys that can tell you pretty much all youll ever need to know about hilux and surfs.

lee
Old 01-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
toyotadieselmadness.com
Old 01-29-2006, 06:03 PM

dam these things are hard to find in canada...
Old 01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it me or does that like cooler than a regular 2nd gen?
Old 01-29-2006, 10:37 PM

Hilux Surf's are all over BC nowadays...I've had my '89 for over a year and a half. They are pretty much the same as the 4Runner...they just typically have more options (ie. electronic adjustable suspension dampners, clinometer, LSD). Choice of gasoline or turbo diesel engine. The diesel is the 2.4Litre 2LT, 2LT-II or 2LTE depending on the year. The gasoline versions actually have a smaller engine than the 4Runner's 22R...its the same little 2.0Litre as in the 80's LE Vans.

Old 01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Psilosin
.......... The diesel is the 2.4Litre 2LT, 2LT-II or 2LTE depending on the year. .........
From the 1993 model year the 2.4 Turbo Diesels were replaced by the 3.0 1KZ-TE, so late 2nd Gen & all 3rd Gen Diesels will have the 3.0 fitted. On the 3rd Gens a factory fitted intercooler was also an option.

There are also a (very) small number of 2.8 normally aspirated diesels in the 2nd Gen.

The 2nd Gen not only had a 2.0 petrol, it more commonly had the 3.0 V6 where a petrol engine was fitted.

3rd Gen Surf petrol engine options are the 2.7 or the 3.4 V6

Last edited by Morr; 01-29-2006 at 11:47 PM. Reason: fixing quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hill
...........Is this a good deal?

Id really really really appreciate some input on this truck before i put a deposit down.....
I've no idea what value this truck represents in your market, but would offer a few comments.

Its an SSR Ltd, which in theory puts it one rung from the bottom in terms of spec, they go SSR, SSR Ltd, SSR-X, SSR-X Ltd, SSR-G. Although in practise the original Japanese owners tend to specify so many options that these designations can become meaningless. Its clearly a narrow-bodied model.

The exhaust outlet has been turned 90 degrees from normal, is it bent or the more common off-roading mod?

Be aware that JDM trucks do not have the same degree of undersealing as some other markets. The JDM parking mirror from the passenger wing (bearing in mind that this will be a RHD truck) is missing.

The 2.4 TD is a fine engine, but care must be taken to prevent its overheating. Just one instance could mean that the cylinder head is toast. This does not affect all models/years, but its impossible to produce a definitive list of those affected. They will tend to crack between the valves. These cracks can often be present for some time before showing any symptoms.

It is as you are no doubt aware essentially identical to the 4Runner and therefore You can check it out in exactly the same manner, apart of course from the engine.

Last edited by Morr; 01-29-2006 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Fixing quotes
Old 01-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

dam these things are hard to find in canada...
Local guy, knows his stuff:

http://www.outbackimports.ca/

Ships all over Canada.

Edit: Just noticed that he no longer does Surfs. Has some nice Hilux Dbl Cabs though... *drools*

So sexy.

Last edited by Scofco; 01-30-2006 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:23 PM

scofo...long time no chat... that is one SICK truck.. is this located up near you? is that your rig??

id even be interested in some land cruisers if the right price arose...

do you know much about these kinda trucks... ive seen outbacks web page..just a pity its so far from calgary.

drop me a line if you get a chance
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

scofo...long time no chat... that is one SICK truck.. is this located up near you? is that your rig??

id even be interested in some land cruisers if the right price arose...

do you know much about these kinda trucks... ive seen outbacks web page..just a pity its so far from calgary.

drop me a line if you get a chance
I don't know a heck of a lot about them personally.
The owner of Outback imports name is Marco, he is a helluva guy and knows these vehicles inside and out. Best bet is to contact him for information about them. I do know he sends most of his vehicles outside of the Yukon, down all over Canada.

That isn't my truck, I just pulled it off their website. Actually looks like my old neighbors farm in the background... they must use that as their work truck. I know they are tough as nails. Would be an appropriate use for it.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

hill pm'd you that surf looks sweet
I'd jump on it!
just get it krown rust proofed before you drive it too far just in case.
you might have trouble registering it at the dealer with the non-ca vin but drag the sob out and show him or talk to marco at outback like previous posters said they should be able to help you.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:22 AM

im in contact with Marko allready..... now contemplating a HZJ81 cruiser...but worried its out of my price range.

Any idea what i could sell my 91 2-Door 4Runner for.... magnaflow exhaust, K&N FIPK, 1.5 OME suspension lift...maybe 7-8K>??

Maybe i could swap out all the OME stuff on my truck and install it on the cruiser....

Even the Hilux double cabs with the 3L engine are $15,000.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you get all excited over an overpriced older truck let me drop a load of reality on you.

I was gonna get me a 3L double cab with SFA and like 80k miles blah blah, they wanted about $15k for it. I mean it was what I would imagine as the perfect truck. I really liked the idea and it was a really nice truck and I was getting pretty excited, but I decided to do some homework before commiting 15k to it. I went on toyotadieselmadness.com and talked to some of the guys there.

You have to be ready for some negatives:

-How can you confirm that the milage on the ODO is correct? More the a few of the guys I talked to said that on further inspection there was obviously more milage on it then was advertised and there is no way for them to take it to anyone cause "the guilty party" was halfway around the world.

-Parts. Some of the people had problems with the heads on their diesels and other unique parts that they couldn't get here, like rebuild kits... I talked to a couple people who ended up paying close to $3k for a head job. Imagine if you had to do a rebuild.

-Finally there is the price. The people who bring them in put a lot of effort in getting them here and have to mark up the truck well over 100% maybe over 200%. It would take you a long time to pay off the initial cost with your fuel savings. Of course they tend to hold that value pretty well after purchase and as long as Toyota doesn't offer a diesel here they proly will.

If this is what you really want then go for it for sure, but make sure you are ready for the risk involved. For me I just got a nice truck for 1/3 the cost here.

If I were to really want to get a good foreign Toyota I'd make a friend in Aussy to buy one and ship it to me, heck you could go there and choose it yourself for likely half the cost of an imported one.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im in contact with Marko allready..... now contemplating a HZJ81 cruiser...but worried its out of my price range.

Any idea what i could sell my 91 2-Door 4Runner for.... magnaflow exhaust, K&N FIPK, 1.5 OME suspension lift...maybe 7-8K>??

Maybe i could swap out all the OME stuff on my truck and install it on the cruiser....

Even the Hilux double cabs with the 3L engine are $15,000.
Colin, How many miles are on your runner. If it is low miles with no rust then you might be able to get 7-8 if you are lucky. Look in the bargain finder or auto trader for comparisons. The add on you have listed don't add up to any extra value in a repurchase. Only major stuff will if the buter is looking for a trail rig, but then you are talking lockers, winches, armour, etc.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Hill,

If you are still in the market, I just came across a gorgeous surf while cruising Autotrader.

http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...9&pgno=1&srt=1

72,000 kms and $8800.
Plus it's another 2-door

Quick Reply: Finally found a HILUX surf for sale in canada....need input!!!!