Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Bypassing Rear Window Wiring, Headed Straight to Battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gutpile23
Oh. Ya. It's an 89' 4runner SR5. And the wires that I posted about are coming off the window up/down switch. I did find a straight +12vdc line, that in the diagram says runs from a 20amp fuse into the relay, but it goes dead when I turn the key. ????
I'm starting to trace back now, because I might as well do it right while I'm here. I need a better manual though, and there's no terminal #'s on the relay, so I'm lost reading your post. But what you're saying is exactly what I want.
4crawler's page is an awesome source of info: http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...arWindow.shtml

It appears that a ground (white/black) goes into the rear power window lock switch and when the switch is on it connects that ground to the white/red wire which goes to the rear power window switch. The switch (or your finger rather) decides which direction the window should go and if it's up then a ground is sent to the red/blue wire, but if its down it sends a ground to the white/green wire. A voltage check at the rear power window switch is not a proper check, a proper check would be to verify the white/black wire has a ground no matter what, that the white/red wire has ground whenever the rear power window lock switch is on. Then you would check for ground on the red/blue and white/green wires at the appropriate times.

You should use 4crawlers page as it is an excelant reference/troubleshooting guide.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:35 PM

relay

if you guys like I could prob take mine apart shoot a pic of where to solder the relays together with small wire and tweezers lol . so get back to me if so .
My truck is an 85 sr5 4runner should be same for 89 ish .
Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Ya, that'd be great 'jswizz.' I'm sure that would help other folks out too.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jswizz
if you guys like I could prob take mine apart shoot a pic of where to solder the relays together with small wire and tweezers lol . so get back to me if so .
I'd like to see too. My 89 has window problems and I'm deciding if I'm gonna try to do this straight-to-battery rewire or fix it for real.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you bypass the stock rear window control module and wire the console switch directly, you will most likely disable the ablity to roll down/up the window with the key from the tailgate as well as disable a number of features assocated with the function of the rear window (such as lockout of the rear wiper when the window isnt up, wait untill you roll the window up on the wiper the first time, thats fun to fix) as well as the rear door lock function if you have it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM

My relay was right behind the driver and the rear panelby the back seatsName:  1217121845a_zpsd3d64190.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  60.5 KB so the 4 and 5 wires coming out of the connection area are the ones . so under each of the top row are a lowerer row of these. and you just use a very small piece of wire and solder the lower to the upper ones, but just strait across .Also I am counting down from the two black boxes on the board
If you have any questions Ill try to get back to you .hope this helps

Last edited by jswizz; 12-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:26 PM

On my 92 I had issues like everyone else on here. I checked my connections first and everything was good. I found it was the relays in the relay control box in the back were bad. I pulled the box and took it to a friend who found out its a 3 dollar relay (in expensive stores) and took 5 minutes to replace EVERY relay in the board. Very easy fix and no bypassing the original sensors. You can bypass a couple stupid ones like the wiper sensor or the one that requires the window to be all the way down before opening the gate.

Just a thought guys but all this work to bypass a good system that just wears out is kinda like doing a lot more work. Look at how much work you put in just to find this information

Easy fix to replace the relays with new relays guys. take one in to a local electronic repair store (not radioshack) and they should be able to give them to you cheap cheap cheap.

ps. if its not the relays then I understand lol
Old 12-18-2012, 06:36 AM

see this thread with possible radio shack relay fixes:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...em-fix-262788/
Old 12-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jswizz
This procedure isn't meant to fix anything it's so you can use your interior power rear window switch without the igniton switch on just like the switch on the tailgate.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by 2big4arunner
... Just a thought guys but all this work to bypass a good system that just wears out is kinda like doing a lot more work ...
X2
Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by steveaus
I've got a 1990 down in Baja that I drive around with and that will never see the U.S. or probably a paved road again.
My gramps used to have a place down in Baja... long since sold. It was 40 miles south of San Felipe, right on the beach, a runway out back to land his plane... I spent a few summers down there as an under aged slave worker. He thought he was being more than generous by giving me $50 for the whole summer, he always was a cheapa$$. I miss that place
Old 01-19-2013, 07:36 PM

I just finished wiring my window straight to the battery. Check it out here. Yes, I know, I could've fixed the relay but this was what I felt like doing.