Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Brake Pedal Woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So your issue was that you (edit: the PO) put in larger volume wheel cylinders, and your master cylinder had to be depressed further to move enough fluid to generate the correct pressures? I think I'm thinking about that correctly.

Right now the only parts of my brake system that aren't new are the LSPV, lines and booster. In my case, the entire axle is the correct one and not mismatched wheel cylinders. I very occasionally get that inconsistent height issue. It'll be nice and firm, but if I push too hard it's sort of give way and then not be firm for a while. Hasn't done it in a while though. I could see that issue arising from mismatched pads and wheel cylinders. The cylinders push too far, pop out and suck air back in when the system relaxes. But I don't think that'd happen with a fully matched rear brake system.

Damn, now I'm thinking about it. That only causes trouble.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jerry507
So your issue was that you (edit: the PO) put in larger volume wheel cylinders, and your master cylinder had to be depressed further to move enough fluid to generate the correct pressures? I think I'm thinking about that correctly.

Right now the only parts of my brake system that aren't new are the LSPV, lines and booster. In my case, the entire axle is the correct one and not mismatched wheel cylinders. I very occasionally get that inconsistent height issue. It'll be nice and firm, but if I push too hard it's sort of give way and then not be firm for a while. Hasn't done it in a while though. I could see that issue arising from mismatched pads and wheel cylinders. The cylinders push too far, pop out and suck air back in when the system relaxes. But I don't think that'd happen with a fully matched rear brake system.

Damn, now I'm thinking about it. That only causes trouble.
Yes, you are thinking about it correctly. What a PITA this has been. I feel really bad for my friend that was doing the work for me on this. He spent several days chasing this until he just couldn't do it anymore. On top of that, he lent me a car to get around and his timing belt broke on me while I had it.

The brakes were part of a whole list of to-do's I gave him to get all 'known' mechanical issues checked off as done. I'm looking forward to that to-do list being put to bed!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! What a freak thing to happen. So your good to go now?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ksti
Wow! What a freak thing to happen. So your good to go now?
It won't be done til tomorrow, so there's always a chance I guess that the road test finds some lingering symptom of it.

I'm not totally in the clear yet. When I was attempting to get my rear defroster working, I somehow broke something (likely a wire) inside the tailgate that is preventing my window motor from working (there's an entire separate thread on this too). I'm all tapped out paying for repairs (over $1k the past two weeks alone), so I'll be going solo on that one trying to repair it. Desperately need to have my tailgate working again. Once that is done, I'll be in the clear for a while - I sincerely hope!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stanz
It won't be done til tomorrow, so there's always a chance I guess that the road test finds some lingering symptom of it.

I'm not totally in the clear yet. When I was attempting to get my rear defroster working, I somehow broke something (likely a wire) inside the tailgate that is preventing my window motor from working (there's an entire separate thread on this too). I'm all tapped out paying for repairs (over $1k the past two weeks alone), so I'll be going solo on that one trying to repair it. Desperately need to have my tailgate working again. Once that is done, I'll be in the clear for a while - I sincerely hope!
Well, from what was found it makes sense.
I sure you will be good to go tomorrow.
As for tailgate should be a 1 fix at least. Post up with results on both repairs.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What I can`t figure out is how the P.O. did not see the difference in wheel cylinders .

The only ones I could think of that would be so much bigger are the ones used in the Tacoma`s because the amount of extra volume has to be considerable to cause that problem.

I would love to know the numbers to do the math

Well let`s hope that is the end for now.

On to the window!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
What I can`t figure out is how the P.O. did not see the difference in wheel cylinders .

The only ones I could think of that would be so much bigger are the ones used in the Tacoma`s because the amount of extra volume has to be considerable to cause that problem.

I would love to know the numbers to do the math

Well let`s hope that is the end for now.

On to the window!!!!
...didn't see or didn't care. I've spent the past year unraveling several other hacks that were not immediately self evident. Based on the evidence, I suspect he had an early model 2nd gen 4runner and/or Tacoma as a parts truck and there were several 'close enough' part swap decisions.

Last edited by stanz; 12-29-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Gotta love obliviot slacktard POs.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Been driving it all morning. It's definitely fixed!