86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Anybody recognize this spring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Lamp oil is so expensive these days.

Pfffffffffft. Seen the price of blinker fluid lately? And don't get me started on what a gargonkulator valve cost now a days....
Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Okay......well, my 5spd 4rnr is an '86. So, the model is different.....which I've, of course, been aware of all the while......but, the spring is only about 6in's long and much smaller in size. However, my wife's is an auto. Not that that's pertinent, but the dash is really no deeper than my '86. IOW, I can't see how on earth that hippo sized spring would be for your vehicle. In the end, you could always stick it up in there and see if would even fit. IOW, see if the length is right and/or if you even have to mounting locations myyota describes.

I guess that's as much as I can be of help........except for adding more sarcasm to the thread.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by flecker
Pfffffffffft. Seen the price of blinker fluid lately? And don't get me started on what a gargonkulator valve cost now a days....
I had one of those valve thingies. I think they're German. Anyway, they're not worth the money, imo. Mmm.....nope. Might as well just buy a yacht. Or, stick pontoons on the sides of your Yota. Yeah. Now there's a party waiting to happen!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Okay......well, my 5spd 4rnr is an '86. So, the model is different.....which I've, of course, been aware of all the while......but, the spring is only about 6in's long and much smaller in size. However, my wife's is an auto. Not that that's pertinent, but the dash is really no deeper than my '86. IOW, I can't see how on earth that hippo sized spring would be for your vehicle. In the end, you could always stick it up in there and see if would even fit. IOW, see if the length is right and/or if you even have to mounting locations myyota describes.

I guess that's as much as I can be of help........except for adding more sarcasm to the thread.
thanks for bearing the heat!!

There is no way that this was for the clutch but i did come from somewhere. I was hoping someone recognized it from..........
Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 PM

A previous incarnation as a couch?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:10 AM

My guess is that a previous owner installed that spring to act as a supplemental clutch return spring. It would probably easily stretch from the clutch arm to some point on the frame or body of the truck. Sounds reasonable to me
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Well, that would, to me, present a real problem....

dntsdad.....seems the PO was messing around in your box of clutch parts. Time to set the traps.

Actually, though, that couldn't happen. The spring would have to be attached to the clutch pedal arm and go out somewhere through the dash. Then, what would it attach to? The steering wheel? The driver? In cab bungie/spring jumping?
Old 07-23-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by BlackNite3
My guess is that a previous owner installed that spring to act as a supplemental clutch return spring. It would probably easily stretch from the clutch arm to some point on the frame or body of the truck. Sounds reasonable to me

I agree, I had that on a Chevy mud truck I had once upon a time, before my Toyota days...
Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 AM

Okay, guys. Look under your dash and see how plausible it would be for a 16" long spring to fit under there.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:49 AM

if anything i would say it was the rear brake proporsioning valve return spring, because there is no clutch return spring because the clutch is hydraulic and returns with pressure from the slave cylinder. my dad has been a toyota master tech for like 20 years and he agreed with me. or like others said its the throttle return from a american truck, my cousin has a big chevy with a 350 and the spring looks alike.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:50 AM

Looks like it came off of a screen door.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Isn't there a spring on the top of the rear axle for the ebrake or something???????????
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Reedr125
Isn't there a spring on the top of the rear axle for the ebrake or something???????????
yes thats what the rear proporsioning valve spring is that i mentioned before.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
no...that spring is in front of the gastank on the passenger side..mounted to the frame for the E-brake.

this big 16" spring however....

uhmm...that attaches to your clutch pedal..and hooks to your belt loop like the other guy said, works like a charm...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by warpigg
if anything i would say it was the rear brake proporsioning valve return spring, because there is no clutch return spring because the clutch is hydraulic and returns with pressure from the slave cylinder. my dad has been a toyota master tech for like 20 years and he agreed with me. or like others said its the throttle return from a american truck, my cousin has a big chevy with a 350 and the spring looks alike.
thats probably it. I took off the rear LPSV and the anti-lock so it probably just ended up in the box

thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
this is why I couldn't find a return spring on my clutch pedal, thank you for confirming I wasn't a blind rat. hahaha.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:05 PM

It attaches to the squirrels harnes so they know to slow down while you shift.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 AM

I don't have a return spring for the '86 or on my wife's '92 for the LSPV. It doesn't need one. Of course, I can't see any needing one, so I don't know where you came up with that. Hmmm.......

Last edited by thook; 07-24-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I don't remember seeing a spring on my LSPV either. Maybe he was talking about the bell crank springs? which this aint one of those either. not unless you running 20-22" DRUMS !!!! and even then I don't think even rockwells use that large of a spring.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 07-24-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:43 AM

Yeah, not sure what he's talking about "no clutch return spring", either. My '86 has one. I can't see any clutch system relying on hydraulic alone (edit: make that at all!) for return. Think how bad clutch pedal return would be if you had any leaks in the system. That's a bunch of hullabullooey.

Last edited by thook; 07-24-2010 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody recognize this spring?