Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Any drawbacks to 33x9.5R15s?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are "snow tires" any good in deeper snow or do they simply fill up? I can't find any aggressive snow tires. I wish they made a mud tire with tonnes of siping (ie: not one or two token sipes).

Last edited by Matt16; 12-13-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM

I may go with a much more common, but similar size; the 235/85r16 (32x9.5R16). Nokian sells the most aggressive snow tire I can find, the Hakkapeliitta LT (try spelling that one after a couple beers). They look like they'd do almost as well as an all terrain in the mud as well.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if they have the mountain and snow flake molded into the tire sidewall, they are designed for ice and snow and you will get optimum performance from them.

there is a shortage of snow tires in the eastern regions of ontario this winter as quebec has mandated snow tires for winter driving, catching the manufacturers off guard.

they are designed for maximum traction in snow and on ice. the siping of the tire is more pronounced than an all season, which, gives it the ability to grip the surface while being self cleaning.

lee
Old 12-13-2008, 08:50 PM

it doesnt snow much here in texas but i used to run 30-9.50s on my truck and the wet weather traction was good in them havent got to test my boggers out yet, but i know they are going to suck! (t snowed two days ago first real big snow in twentyfive years and the chevy did good with street goodyears!)
Old 12-13-2008, 09:00 PM

Say it aint so! go AT-KO!

bullcrap on those tires, man. Hakkacrappogetothertires. as far as the size goes, I have my stock 31x10.5r15s procomp xterrains (procomp had a deal near me) and they are great. No snow in LA, tho. I'm from New York City where I run 33x12.5r15 BFG MTs on my 89 K5 and I recognize that thats only workable because of the weight of that truck. My girlfriend has a 2001 jeep XJ with 4" lift and a LSD-having ford 8.8" rear end swap. She rides on 31x10.5r15 BFG ATs and loves them. When it snows, we take it whailing around the unplowed streets before the trucks can get at them. The tires work very well and at a similar weight, the tires are overkill for on-road riding with bad weather. I love them and swear by them. Just got her a fresh set a few years (and dozens of thousands of miles) later and there wasnt a second thought as to which tires to get. Also work great with trail riding type stuff, and they do alright on rocks. Certainly should keep pace with whatever you're trying to do in the dirt. I would only consider the 9.5" wide tires in a style like Interco Super Swamper TSLs, all military lookin and such. Those are great for cutting through mud at speed, but I don't really see the benefit in having the odd size smooth sidewall junkiepoo studded tires you drunken clicked over the bfg ats which have a nice deep tread and a nobby sidewall that can help move you through the snow. If you really are planning on getting through some snow, maybe think about the procomp xterrains that I have, real agressive sidewall and self-cleaning tread, but I'd say for street snow driving, go BFG.

Last edited by NYChopshop; 12-13-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:27 PM

The thinner the better for snow.

It's sad that my rwd supra riding on winters handles snow 10 times better than my 4wd truck on all seasons
Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt16
I may go with a much more common, but similar size; the 235/85r16 (32x9.5R16). Nokian sells the most aggressive snow tire I can find, the Hakkapeliitta LT (try spelling that one after a couple beers). They look like they'd do almost as well as an all terrain in the mud as well.

Those tires.. In the mud? Thats a bigger joke then driving a Jeep... If you want a mud tire, thats decent on ice/snow everyone I know likes the Truxus M/T's they come in a 31x10.50 so do the BFG A/T's in fact, the BFG's you can get re-treads of that are very high quality, you won't gain much by going to a one inch narrower tire then you will by having a siped quality tire from what I've experienced, I don't worry about driving on ice cause I need mud tires for the wheelin' I do, but when I ran stock sized tires I noticed skinny don't mean alot, I stepped up from a skinny set of BFG Rugged Trails to some Firestone A/T's that were a bit wider, though used they were an improvement, and were a bit wider.

PS-As far as the kansas comment goes, I'm sure where ever you are, you are so much better then everyone else because of it correct? I'm only offering advise and I wasn't trying to be smart with ya, jjust saying you misewell just get a 10.50 or 12.50 tire, theres not a whole lot of difference.. Hope you find a tire that works for you..

Last edited by Trustyrusty; 12-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FredTJ
If you look at his profile you'll see why he spews out nonsense

Fred
I'm gonna ask you to refrain from insulting me and in turn I will show that respect. I'm can tell your just saying that because you were obviously once the age I am and after years went by saw arrogance in your ways, and now look down upon yourself for the way you acted in your younger years, I can look at things I've done a year ago and think I've wised up since then, and I see where you're coming from but insulting me won't make me see mistakes at all, everyone matures and realizes their own mistakes. Just because I'm 17 doesn't mean I'm retarded, and just because your 59 doesn't mean your an old fart who's gonna die soon.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
I'm gonna ask you to refrain from insulting me and in turn I will show that respect. I'm can tell your just saying that because you were obviously once the age I am and after years went by saw arrogance in your ways, and now look down upon yourself for the way you acted in your younger years, I can look at things I've done a year ago and think I've wised up since then, and I see where you're coming from but insulting me won't make me see mistakes at all, everyone matures and realizes their own mistakes. Just because I'm 17 doesn't mean I'm retarded, and just because your 59 doesn't mean your an old fart who's gonna die soon.
I can't drive

Anyway, this is about 1" tire difference? Does it "really" matter? (not trying to sound mean or anything, but I don't think after a year of testing this tire (if I did test it) I would notice a difference at all. Its like testing women, they all do the basic function, eat, sleep, waste money...and according to Abe...blow)

Last edited by 91Toyota; 12-13-2008 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I can't drive
Saw your thread.. You can drive, just don't be so careless!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by annoyingrob
The thinner the better for snow.

It's sad that my rwd supra riding on winters handles snow 10 times better than my 4wd truck on all seasons
Suprised with that turbo spoolin' first gear Isn't worthless in the snow!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:59 PM

Saw your thread.. You can drive, just don't be so careless!
I'm mostly careless with myself rather than careless with other people. As if I had my brother in my truck that would have never happened.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I'm mostly careless with myself rather than careless with other people. As if I had my brother in my truck that would have never happened.
Same here, I'll blast down a dirt road doin 80, but if anyones with me, I drive proper..
Old 12-13-2008, 10:34 PM

wait up a second, matt, I just realized you never mentioned your wheel size. I see you said blablasomethingsomethingx16 and I realized you may have a differently sized wheel than I was blabbing on about. What are you riding on?

if its 16s, this is what I've found from desertrat:
Interco trxus m/t XM-02R are 285/75R16 32.7" OD, 8.3" track width, weight load E, 16x8 wheel $199.99 a pop. that's nice and skinny for ya. RXM-04R has a tiny 7.4" track width. That'd make me feel like in on spares. the BFG AT T/A KO that would work for you is a bit wider than you would want if you have a 16" wheel. the narrowest one is the BFG-87606 285/75R16 or 33/11.00R16 32.8" OD, 7.5-9" wide wheel, $217.99

if you have 15s like most of the rest of us, the 33x9.5r15s are the skinny from BFG and only cost $159. Even if they're being phased out, I say gettim while you can, and get a spare set.

If I were you, and had 16" wheels, I'd take the cash saved on the 15" tire size to go get a junkyard or craigslist set of steel 15" wheels off of a chevy or toy. We've got a common bolt pattern.

Make sure you regear when you upsize. I couldnt bare how crappy my 3.0 would be if I upped the tire size one nanometer without regearing. I have ball joint spacers and 2" OME lift springs in the rear, so I'd have no problems with clearance, but if you're stock, you should be able to go up to 11" width on 33" tires and as long as you dont have a big fat nobby tread you shouldn't be rubbing on anything.

Last edited by NYChopshop; 12-13-2008 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 PM

I am currently running a Nokian Vatiiva see below (summer tire/ all terrain) in a 31x10.5R15. So far, every experience I've had with this tire in snow has been miserable and annoying. I don't do too much "off roading" in winter, the back roads I go along are snow-covered, or slushy.

I started thinking a narrow tire was better in in most applications around here when I noticed that the trucks owned by the forest companies all ran on super-narrow, tall tires. Most were F250s and they all seemed on tires no wider than 255s (10.5" wide). Thats a 6000lbs+ truck on tires narrower than mine. They did awesome. It does appear that the inch or so in tread-width makes quite a difference.

99% of the mud I encounter, is soupy with a hard bottom, the only way you could get stuck in this mud is if you had a wide tire that didn't cut down through the soup to reach the hard stuff underneath. Very seldom to I come across any mud that does much to clog up the treads. This is the mountains, not the flatlands. So I don't need anything more aggressive than an all terrain for the mud, at least in winter.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:37 PM

Suprised with that turbo spoolin' first gear Isn't worthless in the snow!
It runs 205s with. 430 rear end. You mean the first 4 gears are useless with that turbo

But that's why you keep your foot out out of it. Boost can be controlled
Old 12-14-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote from another thread.

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Its all in the tires, boys and girls.
In my 89 with 33x12.5bfg m/t's i slide everywhere in 4x4. 2wd is a joke
when i put my pizza cutter a/t's on (33x9.5 bfg a/t) my traction went up 500% and it does better in 2wd that the m/t's do in 4wd.
In 4wd it does FAN-tastic.
My 99' with selectible awd/4wd.. in awd it SUCKS in the snow (well, compared to 4wd) but with crap tires... it does awful in 2wd (some crappy goodyears) but in 4wd is works great, like fan-tastic.
What i say, is get some good tires, as narrow as you can.
BFG a/t's, michelin M/S, LTX or x-ice, or revo's, and you will love driving in all snow...
Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 AM

IN case anyone still doubts narrow vs wide tires on snow/ice, here's what rally cars drive on:

Old 12-14-2008, 01:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
only thing narrow realy sucks on is sand
Old 12-14-2008, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've run both a 33x12.50 and a 33x9.50. The 12.50 was terrible. Sucked in the snow, and wet. The 9.50 is remarkably better in both situations.

Mileage is better with the 9.50's, though not significantly. About 1-2 mpg per tank.

The BFG AT's are a pretty good tire. They do well for a mostly road driven truck that sees trail time. With an early model truck, the 9.50 tires are 100x better than the 12.50's. The 12.50's sucked huge. I broke a crap ton of steering parts with the 12.50's and with the 9.50's its been 2 total. I have found the BFG AT's to be lacking in traction off road, because the tread seems to close up when the tire is flexed. I do not plan to run these much longer.

However, I have liked them up to this point:

Last edited by AxleIke; 12-14-2008 at 06:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Any drawbacks to 33x9.5R15s?