Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

93 22RE Truck will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main Relay

Yes, I replaced the main relay ($26) and no change. I tested the circuit opening relay by checking for current at the upper right terminal when ignition turned on and it seems fine. Next I should check Auxiliary air flow valve if I can find it.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where do you live? maybe someone near can come and help
Old 12-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Anyone know where the "Idle Air Control Valve" is located and how to test it? The FSM say's I should check it but it doesn't give a page number for the procedure.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:01 PM

did you fix your truck yet. If not try Inspecting the wiring going to the mass air flow sensor. unplug and replug it. also the same to the ignitor plug. if these are not getting signals it wont work also check the fuse for the ECM. you might have inadvertently blown it. good luck and post results
Old 01-09-2006, 11:00 AM

Gave Up

After several weeks, I finally gave in and towed it to a shop. They havn't figured it out either. Next stop, off a cliff (just kidding). I'll post results when I find a real solution.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 PM

I realize your truck is now at the shop...but did you check your fuel for water or other contaminants? Maybe a little dry gas will fire it up...
Old 01-15-2006, 05:10 PM

I took the truck to a local shop. They diagnosed the problem as a slipped timing chain. Cost to fix was $1350 which included the front seals. I decided to let my son do the labor in my garage. I have reservations if a slipped timing chain is the problem since I checked for a slipped chain using information from this forum. The shop mechanic said when the crankshaft pulley is at "0" when No1 at TDC, the mark on the cam sproket should line up with the raised mark on the camshaft front bracket (or at 12:00 position). I am proceeding to replaace the timing chain give this advice. Well post if it fixes the problem.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by mark53
After several weeks, I finally gave in and towed it to a shop. They havn't figured it out either. Next stop, off a cliff (just kidding). I'll post results when I find a real solution.
Jay-zussss...
Don't put it over a cliff... I can use it for a parts car. I'm just up in Seattle.

Hey-
If you absolutely can't figure it out, take it to Erker's Service. I was rewiring my lights and NAPA sold me the wrong light kit. I didn't realize that and thought that I'd screwed up my wiring diagram/harness so, on the advice of one of my reserve buddies, I took it to this place. Walked in, told 'em my story, the owner himself pulls me into the shop and tells me that I've got the wrong light set up but, that it can be re-rigged to work. Let's me work along side of him and, puts in a couple extra lights and, when it was all over, didn't charge me a thing.

??????????????

Seriously. I figure between the lights, fuses and shop-time, he wrote off a $200 bill.

Next day, I called Domino's and sent him and his crew about $100 worth of pizza and sodas.

2 years later, I haven't even replaced a bulb in any of those lights.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 PM

Heh...
Forgot to list this.

Erker's Service.
2311 Pacific Highway East. Fife.
(253) 922-8344
Old 01-16-2006, 05:24 PM

Got the timing chain cover off last night, What a pain in the #@*! Found lots of broken pieces inside. The timing chain cover was gouged up quite a bit. Will probably have to replace that too but at least I know what's wrong now.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever get your truck running? I am having the same issues and have given up on mesing with it. Mine was running fine after I fixed my timing problem drove to parts store to get timing light came out to leave and it wouldn't start. Starter turns engine over, I'm getting spark, fuel and thats it.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:56 AM

I had the same problem awhile back. Did a compression test and found I had only 80PSI in all the cylinders. The timing chain had slipped and bent all the exhaust valves. So you might want to take the head off and do a valve job. Make sure you put in the good timing set from LC other wise you will still have problems.
OH Yea I didn't see if you had done a compression test or not. But you should always start with the basics. There are four things an internal combustion engine needs to run.
1. Compression
2. Spark
3. Air
4. Fuel
If one of these are not present it will not run. Find out which one it is and troubleshoot that part. But it sounds like you might need to do a compression check just to make sure.
Old 07-20-2022, 03:37 PM

22re

Originally Posted by mark53
My 93 pickup 22RE turns over but will not start. I get spark from all plugs. I've checked fule pressure by feeling pressure in the fule hose and seems OK. So far I've replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel pump and fuel filter. No joy. I checked the timing chain by positioning the No.1 cyclinder at TDC and the rotor points to the number 1 plug so I ruled out a sliped timing chain.
I checked the resistance with a Ohm meter on the circuit opening relay, AFM, cold start time switch. All check OK.

I also tested the fuel pump using the jumper on the diagnostics connector and no luck.

I put a timimg light on No. 1 plug wire and pointed it at the timing mark on the flywheel. The timing mark is not even even visable when the flash goes off. THis is all leading me to believe the ECU is bad but want to make sure before spending the big bucks. One thing I noticed is when the ignition switch is on, the fuel pump does not turn on. Is this normal with the 93 pickup? Is there anything else I can check before replacing the ECU?

TIA
  1. Any luck with it? I replaced everything you did plus new injectors, new fuel tank. Only will stay running as long as I'm spraying starting fluid in it...
Old 07-20-2022, 03:38 PM

22re

Originally Posted by TerryBaker
  1. Any luck with it? I replaced everything you did plus new injectors, new fuel tank. Only will stay running as long as I'm spraying starting fluid in it...
I also put in a new ECU