Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

86 22re won’t accelerate, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 86 22re won’t accelerate, HELP!!

I recently bought a 86 pickup first gen 22re, when bought I was told it had to be trailer home due to loose connection in fuse box. I fix this issue, drove it home. Ran great at 60+ mph and idling. The next day I tried to crank it and it wouldn’t. I checked timing checked for fire and fuel. Fuel pump is running, cracked cold start nut and sprayed fuel. Had spark grounded to body, I can now get the truck to crank off cleaner with the AFM unplugged, it will idle fine with a hiccup or two then plugging in the afm wire it drops rpm and runs rough. Tested afm and swapped off another truck with intake tubing no luck. When you try to accelerate it bogs down and dies unless you slowly give it gas. Help!! I’ve checked timing, new plugs new wires, cleaned contacts in cap and watched the rotary button turn. Also sprayed cleaner over all vacuum lines and intake no luck.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:46 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Prestoncasey2
I recently bought a 86 pickup first gen 22re, when bought I was told it had to be trailer home due to loose connection in fuse box. I fix this issue, drove it home. Ran great at 60+ mph and idling. The next day I tried to crank it and it wouldn’t. I checked timing checked for fire and fuel. Fuel pump is running, cracked cold start nut and sprayed fuel. Had spark grounded to body, I can now get the truck to crank off cleaner with the AFM unplugged, it will idle fine with a hiccup or two then plugging in the afm wire it drops rpm and runs rough. Tested afm and swapped off another truck with intake tubing no luck. When you try to accelerate it bogs down and dies unless you slowly give it gas. Help!! I’ve checked timing, new plugs new wires, cleaned contacts in cap and watched the rotary button turn. Also sprayed cleaner over all vacuum lines and intake no luck.
How long was it sitting ??

Did you get the old Gas out and fresh gas in ?

Just because the cold start injector had fuel does not mean the injectors are firing like they should .

all the rust that was in the fuel system may very well be now in the filter from the ride home.
then might be more wrong then a poor connection

Fuel Filter might be a good time to relocate the filter.

What did the old spark plugs look like??

Remember stepping on the throttle only gives the engine more air not fuel.
Old 07-26-2021, 01:55 PM

Received 637 Likes on 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Prestoncasey2
Is the TPS adjusted, and ohms out through it's range, correctly?
Does the AFM ohm out correctly through IT'S range? Any broken wires in it's plug?
Any blown fuses? Engine compartment or inside fuse box?

If it were me, I'd drain the fuel system out completely. Empty the tank, replace the filter, blow some low pressure air through the piping, check the input to the fuel rail at the pulsation damper, maybe look at all the injector inputs off the fuel rail for rusty bits caught in their screens, etc.
Did you check the fuel flow volume at the pressure regulator? Having pressure is all well and good but inadequate flow, or volume, is a problem.
Since you replaced the wires and plugs (did you use OEM??), why not replace the distributor cap and rotor while you were replacing? I've seen a hairline fracture, invisible to the naked eye, cause all kinds of trouble.
Did you check the distributor's sensor for proper air gap, and correct ohm reading?

Just trying to think, which isn't easy for me, of anything that could be the problem. Aside from what's been mentioned already.
Good luck. Keep us up to date!
Pat☺
Old 07-26-2021, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No haven’t had a chance to drop the tank, I’ve pulled the filter and was actually really clean and gas looked a touch brown but nothing major and I could blow through the filter easily so I put it back in. Spark plugs were dirty and one had oil on it. So they were replaced with NGKs and gapped at .032. As of right now I can unplug the afm, spay cleaner into the intake and it’ll fire right up and idle great, if you plug in the afm it will run rough then die. Also it will not accelerate. Haven’t tested the tps but I have unplugged it and no changes. Haven’t tested fuel pressure yet either, I haven’t got around to pulling out a meter and gauges to check much. The truck has very rarely been driven the past few years and has sat for a year. I was told there was an issue with the fuel pump and it has been fixed. Not sure of what. I bought it through his wife I never spoke to him. I just remembered this morning when I got it home I cleaned under the hood because of grease and dust. So I may of gotten a sensor wet.