Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22re timing chain mystery noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well i was messin with it the other day and determined that the really loud noises only happen at about 1200-1800 idle.... for some reason she does not idle where shes supose to all the time she either idles at 850-1000 or 12-1400rpms at about 900 reg idle she just has alittle valve chatter which not bad but sometimes the noise will happen and it will usually be alot of pinging and poping.... usually if its a chain does it not make like a kinda knocking noise? at about 2000+ RPMS it all goes away so yea.... i've been thinking maybe EGR.... too much timing advance which it is....

Last edited by Kiroshu; 05-07-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I didn't watch the video but if you have a broken timing chain wear guide your chain won't have enough tension on it. This can make your timing all over the board causing your strange idle issue.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:16 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
^^^^^ What I would say.

I'd also say the chain wouldn't make a knocking noise. Atleast, I wouldn't call it that at all. When I got my first 4rnr ('86 22re), the timing chain was rubbing into the cover. It sound like an intermittent rattle at idle at the front of the motor. But, when you'd hit the throttle and rev it up and then let off, it sounded like.....well.....like a chain rubbing against metal for a few seconds and would then go away until you did it again. Rattling, pinging around and all that. You may have enough slack in that chain that it's rubbing even on the guide mounting bolts......making the popping sound your describing. Again, unless you feel like rebuilding that motor, I'd fix it before driving anymore.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:16 PM

UPDATE! (kinda)
Ok i don't know if i told you all or not but this truck has been in the family since it was new. My dad bought it new in 1986(when truck was made) and has taken it everywhere and done everything you can do in a truck with it and he owned and drove it about 20 years and put 230k on it... kept up with everything and replaced alot of stuff that we still have recipts for. He knows more about this truck inside and out than i do most of the time. And he replaced everything himself on the truck. So i asked him about it the other day. I asked him about the noise that it had.... his first words were "valves" i siad yea ok some of the noise is valves but theres alot of more blunt chatter and pinging and some poping.... he replaced the Head gasket, Timing Chain, Timing cover, water pump, oil pump, and timing chain guides and tesioner 45k ago..... i said well do you thing its the timing chain again already? He said no. and generally thats what i would say.... usually the guides at least go 100k at least and sometimes chain lasts forever or goes like 200k.... hes not heard the truck in a while so i'm going to show him and let him listen cause hes kinda confused at why it would be making so much noise. Surely guys a timing chain and guides would not be thrashed after 40k miles.... thats a bit rediculous.... any input? Oh and also(told my dad too) that the noise only starts after the truck has warmed up... don't know if that has anything to do with it.... a guy on yotatech here told me one time that it may be my rocker arm shafts? thats kinda odd...something i would imagine usually does not wear out.... oh and also my idle is different sometimes too... my idle on the truck is supose to be about 850-950 thats about what it usually was... but it only idles at its correct idle 20% of the time.... and does not make all the noise i am talking about... all the noise occurs at the new idle of 1200-1300.... all the bad noise is only at the higher idle.... and that idle is about 80% of the time... is this part of my prob? I am also 90% sure there is no vaccum leaks....SO CHAIN IS NOT ORIGINAL LIKE I THOUGHT....any suggestions?
Also i have a few vids on youtube... the one i posted for this post is the one where theres a prob and theres another where it says 22re idle and that vid is of ther truck at regular correct idle without the prob and only valve chatter......

Last edited by Kiroshu; 05-09-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:31 AM

well...
Old 05-10-2009, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its possible. not likely, but possible. pull the valve cover and check the chain, the tensioners, etc. you dont want to be replacing that stuff, trust me. when the noises are occuring, does the engine sound a bit like a big diesel engine? (they rattle)
Old 05-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Update. (kinda)
well i had my dad listen to it today after i got home from work and he said it does not sound like the chain. He says it just sounds like valves. But the pinging he was kinda conserned about. Was not sure of what it was. yes it does sound like a diesel with pinging. not a monster diesel but ya know kinda like alittle diesel.... not much knock but chatter/pinging... and chatter worsens into more distinct louder more dull chatter as rpms go up until about 1600rpm then it goes away totally... pinging only heard at idle... Its not a real distinct knocking kinda chain noise but not exactly valve tapping and only starts when truck is warmed up... me and my dad plan to pull the valve cover and look but we prolly won't get much anywhere by lookin.... i found out the idle prob is still coming from my throttle kinda sticking which i can't really fix i've cleaned it like tons of times.... but the noises still go me....
Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well after reading this i definetly gotta replace my timing chain 87 4runner