Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

22r carb, no start!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay. Here's another thing, somebody put a aftermarket coolant temp sensor in this truck. I am not sure if its tied into the ecm or not, if it isn't it wouldn't allow the electric choke to work. Would this cause a huge problem when trying to start it?
Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WrencherJosh
Okay. Here's another thing, somebody put a aftermarket coolant temp sensor in this truck. I am not sure if its tied into the ecm or not
It's not.

However, the 22R uses several coolant temperature sensors to monitor and control emissions. Yes, the Federal (49-state) trucks do have emssions related controls. And for the California trucks, there is an extra one too that the Federal trucks don't get.

if it isn't it wouldn't allow the electric choke to work. Would this cause a huge problem when trying to start it?
Aisan, the carburetor manufacture, uses an Automatic Choke as opposed to an electric choke. That means that the choke does not rely on 12V power to engage the choke. It uses 12V to dis-engage the choke.

The internal choke coil is temperature controled by ambient air temperature. So the colder the air temperature, the more the internal coil will rotate the choke plate closed.

When you prime the engine with your 3-pumps on the gas pedal, depending on the temperature, the choke plate would have closed.

Your main issue is still that diaphram, but you may have other issues as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Thank you for being very helpful I'm hoping on Friday my rebuild kit will be here to start really getting some progress in. Please keep posted!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Update: replaced the accelerator pump diaphragm, cleaned the carb and noticed the choke wasn't working. Put a manual choke on it, and it starts without any brake clean

Mission one success.

Mission two, it runs rich. I've adjusted, adjusted, then adjusted again. I can not get it running smooth. I'm pretty sure its out of time, so I am going to do that soon. Any other ideas?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
noticed the choke wasn't working. Put a manual choke on it, and it starts without any brake clean
How did you go about checking the choke for non-operation?

it runs rich. I've adjusted, adjusted, then adjusted again. I can not get it running smooth.
Where in the throttle does it run rich, idle? part throttle? full throttle? etc.

I'm pretty sure its out of time, so I am going to do that soon.
Yep, definitely check the timing.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:06 AM

It runs rich under throttle, any throttle. Under idle it seems fine. If you hit throttle is smells exceedingly like gas. I tested the choke by resetting the choke to closed, starting the truck then letting it get warm then rechecking the choke, it was still closed. The choke had propper ohms feeding it, 9.3, so I assumed it was dead. The manual choke works well.