84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

why the heck do i still got leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why the heck do i still got leaks

i re did my weber carb bas gaskets and plate gaskets today, flipped one over because i thought it was backwards and i had a very slight leak, enough to just make it sound like a smalllll missfire. i just bought the carb and installed it, just put a different motor in also. it has never not had a slight leak at the adapter plates. is the lc engineering spiral adapter plate gonna fix it or what do u guys recomend?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Either the LCE 2 piece or the 1 piece adapter from Trans-Dapt, available at Summit, Jeg's, and other performance stores. As I understand it from another thread, the Trans-dapt adapter doesn't come with spacers for the throttle linkage, but if you want the taller adapter, it may be worth buying your own spacers from Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, etc. I like my LCE adapter, it sealed well, came with the spacers for the throttle, and has individual bores instead of open plenum space.

I've always experienced better throttle response with individual bore spacers/adapters on my carbureted engines, but more height is also supposed to help that. I'm not totally sold on the spiral bores, but at least I didn't put a "Tornado" in there somehow.

I'd say it's up to you which spacer set to get, but I'm good at getting gaskets to seal, and I never got the cast Weber kit pieces to.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 PM

Thank u for ur input. I am gonna try the lce spriral kit its 58 bucks instead of 79 right now so ima jump on it n try. I alrdy got spacers for my throttle from the weber kit. Or are there even taller ones now??
Old 12-20-2011, 08:35 AM

The spacers for the Weber adapter are a little different height than the LCE spacers. Different height adapter. The Trans-dapt adapter is taller than either the Weber or LCE, and doesn't come with spacers for the throttle.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 PM

so does the lce spiral adapter come with the correct spacers i need? and its only one plate now all the way to gasket instead of the 2 plates with different gaskets correct? u got a pic of it?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM

Yes, it comes with the spacers, no, it's not a 1 piece adapter. I never took a pic of it during my install or anything, had to hurry on my lunch at work, but here's LCE's catalog pic:
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...A-3F35C51E6D71
If I remember correctly, the gaskets are top, bottom, and middle from left to right in the pic. The reason this 2 piece adapter seals better is cause it's machined, not cast aluminum.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM

so that little round gasket goes on top under the carberator? i aint a carberator lover lol.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Ok, the 2 rectangular gaskets with the 2 holes in em, they are the top and bottom. Or, if you think one is manifold to adapter, the other is adapter to carburetor. The little thin gasket that's 2 round ports, not rectangular around the outside of it... that goes between the 2 pieces of the adapter.

Where are you at, anyway? Chances are you might need to tune it a little bit, and it could help if we know what's already done to your motor and what kind of environment you live in. Trust me, once you get this thing dialed in a little bit, you'll like this carburetor, at least.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:57 PM

Not trying to hijack your thread but I'm in the process of installing my weber 32/36 with the lce spiral adapter. I have one thin rectangular gasket and a white thicker plastic rectangular gasket. I put the thin gasket on the intake and the thicker one btwn the carb and the adapter. I hope this is right but I'm thinking I may have received the wrong kit.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Ok, the 2 rectangular gaskets with the 2 holes in em, they are the top and bottom. Or, if you think one is manifold to adapter, the other is adapter to carburetor. The little thin gasket that's 2 round ports, not rectangular around the outside of it... that goes between the 2 pieces of the adapter.

Where are you at, anyway? Chances are you might need to tune it a little bit, and it could help if we know what's already done to your motor and what kind of environment you live in. Trust me, once you get this thing dialed in a little bit, you'll like this carburetor, at least.

i live in lompoc ca it a nice 75 degrees is a hot day type climate lol. a hour north of santa barbera. i know it needs tuning i am running super rich! but it wont tune unless i fix my intake and carb adapter plate leaks, idk if my intake manifold is leakin i need to get to the store and get a carb and choke cleaner can and spray everything.