84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

New toyota - Total newb - Restore it or walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New toyota - Total newb - Restore it or walk away?

Yesterday I picked up a 1985 Toyota 4runner 22R (Was 22RE) 277k for $1500. It is in what I would consider rough shape, with great potential to be restored. I'm looking for some honest advice on the possibility of making this old truck a DD again, given the fact that: A. It's been modified, as you'll see, and B. The most mechanical work I've ever done would range from waterpumps to starters etc., basically nothing, but my interest to research and learn is monumental.

So I'll start by giving you the details about the runner based on the sellers comments, and what I've observed, again, bear with me as I am limited in knowledge, but not clueless.

The Interior:

The console area - It's missing the plastic that skirts the shift boot, the lid is hanging by a thread, but for the most part it has all its pieces.

The floor (Front) - Virtually rust free, paint is smooth and somewhat shiny in spots still. I noticed a hard rubber linner basically cemented to the floor around the shifter area and other places. Does this need to be removed to paint and recarpet? It's caked with other people "ick" and quite disgusting.

The Floor(Rear) - Pretty darn clean! Not a whole lot to write about, no rust still has most of the original blue paint, definitely workable. **As a side note, I've not pictured the seats, and I'm not including them in my assessment since reupholstering is always a relatively inexpensive option.**

Headliner: Looks ok!

The Engine Bay:

I bought this truck knowing that I was going to have to replace the engine. This thing leaks oil from every gasket it has I'm sure. It drips quite a lot all over the place, and flies all over the back of the truck when driving. That didn't stop this little engine from traveling 300 miles to my house via highway, and not overheating, or siezing....absolutely amazes me. I've noticed things are seemingly slopped together or in disrepair such as wire harnesses, battery leads, master cylinder, and power booster, and I'm sure theres much much more. The engine has definitely been replaced at one point or another as the block and pan have been painted red, and there are shiny new looking bolts attaching it to the bell housing on the transmission, odd for it to be leaking like this. The transmission also whines loudly when in gear and moving.

The Suspension:

This thing sits on 33's and the owner I acquired the truck from said it was an 8" lift. This is a bit much in my opinion, and concerns me that the truck may never drive right as a DD. Also, the rear differential has been welded. I have no idea what all has been done, or if it has been done correctly, and how this affects my chances of being able to successfully replace things, and build this truck into something I would enjoy driving daily, have a look, maybe you can tell me more about what's been done and if/how it affects the reliability/structure of the vehicle:

I really do like this truck, and I would like to think that I might be able to restore it to more than its formal glory, but to be realistic, with my knowledge level, and the modifications that have been made to the truck, is it viable, on a 3500.00 budget to make this truck into a decent daily driver? Id like to replace the engine and transmission, repair the rear differential, and slowly put the interior back into beautiful shape.

On the other hand, I can resell this truck and put my 3500 into a nicer first gen 4Runner, and use the funds from this sale to replace odds and ends on a better vehicle.

So, at my level, would you walk away, or put the work in?? I have another daily driver truck, so I do have some wiggle room. I'm not rushed.

Any opinions, information about the modifications, or ideas/thoughts are most welcome!!!

Last edited by Dreamhawk; 11-25-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:02 PM

first thing i would do is make sure the rear axle u bolts are tight. could just be the pic, but they dont look right.

im not sure of the laws you have there, but where im from, that wouldnt be a good daily driver. cops like to hassle vehicles lifted that much.

I would sell and find something nicer. for that to become a "nice" daily driver, it needs, correct motor installed, tranny, diff, smaller tires, some lift removed, interior work, paint etc.

i would find something that looks nice and go from there. I'd rather change a engine on a mint truck then try and make a truck mint......
Old 11-25-2012, 12:06 PM

looking at the pics again, your tie rod looks bent as well.
with that much lift the truck should have high steer, your steering is still stock.

i've driven worse vehicles, but im a mechanic and knew what i was getting into. this truck will be alot of work.

spend the 3500 on a good looking and running truck, then as you have money , modify it how you want.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Not worth it IMO. Way too much work to be done... Trash it on the trails and have some fun with it.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It all depends if you have a shop to work in .

Don`t get really mad when things don`t quite go as planned.

It will be a learning experience .

Granted it is going to take a lot of work. lots of time!

Myself I think having built it from the ground up instead of buying it built you will be further ahead. Every one should do at least one !! Then some of us never stop it is addicting .

I think you have a good start !!

Us East Coast Rust Belt would love to get our hands on a frame like that.

If you need to drive this as you work on it it will get ugly real quick.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
fix it up a little as affordably as possible.

lots of people would love to have a solid axle rock crawler.

then find an original 1st gen to restore.
or fix this one and spend a bunch of time and money.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it's too far gone by any means. You can find a decent motor ,running, for around 500$. Misc interior pieces at local pick n pulls, or online, or in the classified on the thread.

That stuff on the floor you are describing should be the factory sound dampening material they stick in the floor. If you are looking to cover it back up, I would do a quick once over with maybe sme seam sealer, where needed, and some bed liner material, then cover it back up with carpet.

As far as it being a DD, as others have said, loose some of the lift and fix that bent steering. My 1stgen has about 4" and 33's , and yes the stock steering sucks but I make it work for now.

Lastly, as others have also said and more probably will. That thing looks exceptionally rust free, and livin in the rust belt for the last 30 yrs, I myself would kill for one that had a frame and body that nice.

Check my threads out, I just got done Fixing a rotted out floor on mine.

If you decide to keep it, you will definitely have lots of people willing o help you through the process.

Where are you located. If your close to me I would gladly lend a hand.

Mark
Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM

I'm in Arizona. I wish you were over this way. That'd be a great deal to get some help restoring this thing should I decide to go that route. It is remarkably rust free, maybe I should get something a little more stock, since daily commute will be its main function.

Anyone want to take a stab at a ballpark dollar amount for engine/trans/differential rebuild should I pay for it to be done?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM

Paying to have all that rebuilt, I'd say $4000?
Old 11-25-2012, 05:41 PM

I've been putting mine back together for the last two years and it was a lot better condition! I spent a lot more money than i had planned but... I learned a lot too. I leaned not to pay people anymore to do work! If you like doing things yourself it's a great project but I would look for a better build. Even though I'm still finishing my project, i'm already looking for my next one. I found the more you do, the more you want to do. This sight is the best resource! Read, read, and read more! You will find what you need in here!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Truck has potential but has been beat hard.
Front suspension needs extended bumps stops
I haven't seen an oil pan with damage from the front axle in a long time..

Looks to me like you either have a 2wd oil pan or some how yours was put on backwards

Does that rear drive shaft wobble like crazy? Looks like the pinion shaft is out of whack

Last edited by dropzone; 11-25-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: auto correct sucks
Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Somebody jerked a 22R outta a 2 wheel drive, stuck it in there, and wheeled it. Body could be restored to its former glory without too much effort, but I wouldn't go too pretty. It's a wheeler, upgrade that steering, check out the rest of the driveline and running gear, put a proper engine in it, and you're off!

Last edited by combatcarl; 11-25-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by combatcarl
Somebody jerked a 20R outta a 2 wheel drive, stuck it in there, and wheeled it. Body could be restored to its former glory without too much effort, but I wouldn't go too pretty. It's a wheeler, upgrade that steering, check out the rest of the driveline and running gear, put a proper engine in it, and you're off!
20r by the oil pan? 83 and earlier 22r's had the sloped valve cover..
Old 11-25-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're right...22, not 20. My bad.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Fossilized
Staff

No worries..I didn't even think about looking at the oil pan I have on a 22r on an engine stand pulled out of a 2wd...

I agree with you, fix the major stuff and have fun with it...definitely a wheeler...
Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 PM

It really depends on what kind of time your willing to spend on it. How much free time do you have vs work? Do you enjoy doing it vs fishing or other fun things? Heated or out of weather shop? Sometimes it's worth it....sometimes not.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM

Thanks all for your input, really interesting info here. I would've never known the pan was from a 2wd, or that it had been bashed by the axle

My time is somewhat limited being a college student and working full time. I think I might be able to squeeze 3-4 hours twice a week on it. I'd be working on it in my folks backyard which is 15 miles away, and it would be done with no lift etc.

I'm thinking this might be kind of out of my range considering the suspension and steering will also need work in order to function as I intend it. A "wheeler" is kind of out of the question as the truck was intended for not only camping, but to take the 10-15 mile trip stop and go miles off my cummins.

I hope this doesn't get moved to sale advice, but what should I ask for a rig in this shape should I decide its not for me?

Thanks again to all for your input!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:46 PM

Better grades in school and less stress would be more important than the rig....for me.at least.

If you had help...? Different story maybe. Assuming you have a decent daily driver now?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM

it looks to be you paid right around what its worth in its state, around 1500, honestly anything can be fixed, junkyards are your best friend and so is craigslist, i myself would strip the 22r out and replace it with a 22re, it looks to me all the stuff is there to swap it back in, fix the steering issue, or if you plan to keep it upgrade to hysteer, im amazed there isnt blocks under the rear so thats a plus already having full leafs, its def worth it, its a toyota afterall, but do you have the time and patience to trace parts down to do all the work yourself? a parts truck can be had for a couple hundred bucks, most likely needing a motor, boom theres all your interior parts and everything else you need, sell parts truck to scrap, get your money back, then focus on the engine and drivetrain
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 PM

Hey...I live in Gilbert and go to MCC in the welding dept. IF you decide you want to get rid of this, let me know. I too am a student but have a family with a house payment and another little one on the way. This seem's like a project I can tackle at work with an hour here and there...the boss is really cool and understands the amount of time it takes for these to go through their process. PM me if you want and I'll send you my number...this looks like something I can sink my teeth into for a trail beater. I do work with two former Toyota tech's, so I guess I have access to people you might not...not trying to rub it in, but I like to network when ever possible.

Quick Reply: New toyota - Total newb - Restore it or walk away?