84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

New to me '84 - build(ish) thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to me '84 - build(ish) thread

Howdy!!

I just recently acquired an '84 std 4x4 from my uncle. This truck has been in the family for many years, first owned by my cousin in CO. It's spent the past few years on a farm in Iowa, but thankfully not long enough for the tin worm to really take hold. Now that I have the truck, the real work begins! I will be dialing it in over the next couple years for my son to drive when he turns 16. He's stoked! So far, I've done the following:

- Rebuilt steering box at CRE in Ontario, CA
- Rebuilt smog pump from B-Z
- Rebuilt most of the brake system

Sitting in Iowa does bad things to brakes, the right front caliper was sticking when the truck arrived, so my son and I replaced both calipers and discs, plus hoses and the MC. Drives really well now! I just got the steering box back yesterday and should be able to get it installed tomorrow.

Still to do:
- install the rebuilt smog pump and make sure the AIS is all working properly
- Replace the weber with a AISAN I got off another yotatech member (Thanks NYHumpinUtah!). Going to try it as it sits, will rebuild if necessary.
- Replace the EGR valve and make sure that system is working properly. It was removed by my uncle's mechanic. I have one in the stash I got from Hump, and I believe all the vacuum goodies are there.
- Put on a new Cat.
- Get it smogged.
- CA plates and reg.
- Drive it!!
​​​​​
I'm not very good about posting regularly, but will try to take photos and document the build/smog process. This community has already helped out a ton. I hope to contribute a little in return.

From whence it came - Farm in IA

Urban camouflage paintwork. Surprisingly dry though. All surface rust.

Oh, what a feeling!! The boy is stoked.

My cousin (Rusto) did good work on the interior. Nice and clean with dynamat, factory radio, and a gauge binnacle from a 4runner on the dash.

Old 10-21-2020, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off to a great start posting in the wrong forum. This should probably be in the builds section. I'm not seeing a way to move it, but maybe the mods can help me out with that one.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:37 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Hey Mapguy
Just start a thread in the build section and add it ll there, we will be watching