84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Holley or Weber

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:44 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
That truck definately lives up to your name. No offense, to each their own, does look fun.
To answer your question, yes, the adapter would bolt the 38 to the stock intake manifold (hence the adapter plate name). The 38 would bolt directly to the offy manifold without an adapter. Unless you can find a great deal elsewhere on the 38 kit, I'd give the guys at Lc a call and see if they'd put a package together for you. I've heard they're pretty good about that. Get the 38 to 22R full kit (then you get all the little "extra" pieces that you need to do the install rather than just the carb) but with the 1 piece adapter and whatever air cleaner setup you want rather than buying the kit and adapter seperate and having the 2piece laying around your garage collecting dust. The webber air cleaner is just fine IMO and k&n's are good but, with a lot of mudding, you may want to get the adapter for the webber that bolts your stock air cleaner back on? That's really just whatever YOUR preferance is on that. Good luck and let us know how it all works out!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bingle
That truck definately lives up to your name. No offense, to each their own, does look fun.
To answer your question, yes, the adapter would bolt the 38 to the stock intake manifold (hence the adapter plate name). The 38 would bolt directly to the offy manifold without an adapter. Unless you can find a great deal elsewhere on the 38 kit, I'd give the guys at Lc a call and see if they'd put a package together for you. I've heard they're pretty good about that. Get the 38 to 22R full kit (then you get all the little "extra" pieces that you need to do the install rather than just the carb) but with the 1 piece adapter and whatever air cleaner setup you want rather than buying the kit and adapter seperate and having the 2piece laying around your garage collecting dust. The webber air cleaner is just fine IMO and k&n's are good but, with a lot of mudding, you may want to get the adapter for the webber that bolts your stock air cleaner back on? That's really just whatever YOUR preferance is on that. Good luck and let us know how it all works out!
Thank you for the help so its better to get an other intake manifold
Old 06-25-2012, 10:27 AM

I had a 32/36 with the dual plane manifold and loved it. Prolly should have stuck with it but I just HAD TO HAVE DCOE's! I really love them but they suck gass pretty heavy. More to the point, the offy manifold would probably give you some extra over the stock, but I don't know cuz I haven't run the single plane OR the 38 carb. I had some cheap headders and the 32/36 w/2 piece adapter, ran for +/- 6mos (started to have some adapter leaks), got the dual plane manifold and noticed a definate gain. Dual plane is a no-go for the 38 (syncronus vs. staged carb). As I said before, I'd go with the carb and one piece adapter, then get a good set of headders (if you want more gain). See how you like that. If you still wanna throw more at the engine do the 20R head w/ a cam and the 20R single plane offy manifold for your carb or just a cam for your 22R and the 22R offy manifold. I think that's the order I'd go.

Last edited by Bingle; 06-25-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 AM

Yeah thanks I got a header coming from summit racing and the 38 carb/manifold kit comin.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:52 AM

What year should the 20r head and can come off of?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM

I "think" any would work, but I don't really know, I haven't done that mod myself. Use the search function and look for 22R 20R hybrid. Should find plenty of information on this site. Good luck and let us know how it goes when done!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 PM

well i installed the Hooker Header i got from summit but the carb hasn't came in and the truck is runnin pretty bad now it like it is starving wanting to die. i hopin that the new carb/intank kit will make it change.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 AM

ok i been lookin from diffrent forms and findin people askin what the green one goes too but no one ever give a flat answer but i want to know what does the the 2 plugs go to that are circle in red thanks
Attached Thumbnails Holley or Weber-manifold.jpg  
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Were either hooked up before you pulled the manifold? I think they're both temp sensors. One of them (the one on the righi think) goes to your gauge in the dash and the other is for your choke on the stock carb. Not sure though. Been a LONG TIME since I've had those. Search for the fsm for your year on this site and it should say.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Bingle
Were either hooked up before you pulled the manifold? I think they're both temp sensors. One of them (the one on the righi think) goes to your gauge in the dash and the other is for your choke on the stock carb. Not sure though. Been a LONG TIME since I've had those. Search for the fsm for your year on this site and it should say.
yes both were hooked up
i think the temp sensor was on the right but not sure and ant sure what the other one is