Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

My 22R Rebuild - KawaZX636

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Inspiration

Kaw - that build is beautimous! Just purchased an '83 with a hillbilly flat bed and stage 3 cab cancer with a weak 22RE. Still drive able but your build gave me inspiration and since it finally will be staying warm I might just start the project. Will look at Your other build thread
Old 02-11-2016, 09:36 PM

As this is my kind of art, i'm printing and framing this.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:45 PM

22r bored 40 over

Just picked up a pretty damn clean late 70's early 80's Toyota pickup.. going to start peicing her back together shes stock .has been bored 40over was wondering if anyone else has worked on this type of engine rebuild . I usually work more with small blocks etc.. anything I should look at particularly when it comes to this rebuild?..
Old 02-25-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey KAWA, I've been scrolling through your build thread and the 22R desmog tutorial thread wondering what you eliminated from your wiring during this restoration. I've desmogged my truck, added a gm 1 wire, and a weber 32/36 recently, but i now have a grip of stuff just hanging around. I'd like to clean up the engine bay of some of this clutter and have been thinking about cleaning up my harness as well. Do you have any photos of what you removed from the harness from your build?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
While I was scrolling thru your build to see what you did/something looked like apart I noticed some ' non-factory' heater hose routing and hook-up. So it appears you blocked off the stock heater hose manifold and hooked up your heater to the factory thermostat bypass plate (which you used the LCE part) which would normally go back to the water pump. So I was wondering if this caused any coolant circulation/overheating problems, leaking water pump seal etc.?

I'm also curious about that block off plate and if it is LCE intent to put in a plug as you suggested, would that not restrict/block coolant circulation when the thermostat is closed? Perhaps in the tropics of Maryland and Arizona this may work but in the northern Great lakes where the thermostat cycles between open and closed in all months but July I'm thinking it could cause problems.

Last edited by Old83@pincher; 02-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Brookbaby1
Just picked up a pretty damn clean late 70's early 80's Toyota pickup.. going to start peicing her back together shes stock .has been bored 40over was wondering if anyone else has worked on this type of engine rebuild . I usually work more with small blocks etc.. anything I should look at particularly when it comes to this rebuild?..
If you can rebuild a small block then you can rebuild a 22R - I have built dozens of engines of all sizes and makes, but the 22R is by far the easiest to rebuild and work on.

Originally Posted by warmonger88
Hey KAWA, I've been scrolling through your build thread and the 22R desmog tutorial thread wondering what you eliminated from your wiring during this restoration. I've desmogged my truck, added a gm 1 wire, and a weber 32/36 recently, but i now have a grip of stuff just hanging around. I'd like to clean up the engine bay of some of this clutter and have been thinking about cleaning up my harness as well. Do you have any photos of what you removed from the harness from your build?
Start at the emissions control computer and work your way back - You can remove all wires and sensors that lead into it.

Originally Posted by Old83@pincher
While I was scrolling thru your build to see what you did/something looked like apart I noticed some ' non-factory' heater hose routing and hook-up. So it appears you blocked off the stock heater hose manifold and hooked up your heater to the factory thermostat bypass plate (which you used the LCE part) which would normally go back to the water pump. So I was wondering if this caused any coolant circulation/overheating problems, leaking water pump seal etc.?

I'm also curious about that block off plate and if it is LCE intent to put in a plug as you suggested, would that not restrict/block coolant circulation when the thermostat is closed? Perhaps in the tropics of Maryland and Arizona this may work but in the northern Great lakes where the thermostat cycles between open and closed in all months but July I'm thinking it could cause problems.
My heat was hella hot! No problems with circulation at all with the way I routed my hoses or with the thermostat restricting heat function.
Old 09-21-2023, 03:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how did you manage to get a wire wheel in all the nooks and crannys on that transmission?!??!

Last edited by newschoolers; 09-21-2023 at 03:47 AM. Reason: part