Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Looking for a SOFT ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts
This thread is 6 years old.
But I am going through my suspension too and from what I have read from others, the best value for leaf springs is the ome's. $100 per pack, $400 total plus bushings and whatever other hardware you need to replace.. Not a bad price for a quality product.
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/toyot...ion-parts.html

There is varying opinions but most other brands seem to wear out quickly. You can also check parts yards and craigslist. I know there's a guy in Pensacola selling springs right now, but that could be a bit of a drive for you.
There's also deaver springs and alcan if you got $$$

Leaf springs need to get replaced first, they are holding up the weight of your truck and since you already got shocks, your problem is almost solved.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:22 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
When I first bought my '83, I thought the ride was horrible--like having NO suspension. My truck came with a 2" lift, so the springs had been changed. I took the truck to our local spring/suspension shop (The Spring Works in Grand Junction, CO) and told them that it rode too stiff. One of the mods they made was to shorten the leaves in the front spring pack to reduce the stiffness. It actually worked, but only slightly, as they also replaced all the shocks with Skyjackers (extra length needed due to the lift), which conversely stiffened the ride a bit. It still rides like a truck, but it's tolerable. More than one way to skin a cat.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I just got this truck back on the road after sitting dead since 2014. Now it's back to daily driver status and my original "appreciation" of the front suspension is once again on my mind. The Old Man Emu springs seem like the way I would tend to go but I'm wondering if it's possible to reduce the amount of lift they confer? Maybe pull one of the springs from the pack? I'd be happy with like 1" of lift, just to increase the free space above the bump stop. I have stock sized tires and probably will as long as it's a daily driver so I don't need or want much lift at all.

Incidentally, part of the revival process was desmogging the engine and adding a Weber and add me to the list of happy customers on that front!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 75 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by New Red Truck
Well, I just got this truck back on the road after sitting dead since 2014. Now it's back to daily driver status and my original "appreciation" of the front suspension is once again on my mind. The Old Man Emu springs seem like the way I would tend to go but I'm wondering if it's possible to reduce the amount of lift they confer? Maybe pull one of the springs from the pack? I'd be happy with like 1" of lift, just to increase the free space above the bump stop. I have stock sized tires and probably will as long as it's a daily driver so I don't need or want much lift at all.

Incidentally, part of the revival process was desmogging the engine and adding a Weber and add me to the list of happy customers on that front!
Pics?
Welcome